Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BryanD Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 12:33 PM

I have a few questions:

I am currently deciding on a speaker/receiver setup and I have a few questions. I am leaning towards a pair of M60s, 4 QS-80s and a VC-150--connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX.

Questions:

1. For the QS-80s, can someone explain the shelf limitation a bit more. I have a set of rosewood stands that are open underneath but do not have a hole in it or anything. Would that work? What could be used in general?

2. Does anyone have a suggestion on subwoofers in the $500 to $600 range? I am trying to choose between the Hsu VTF-2, the SVS 25-31PCI, or the Axiom EP350 (which is actually cheaper than the other two due to the HT discount).

3. Any general suggestions.

thanks for the info,

Bryan
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 01:05 PM
Bryan,

the QS8's have a woofer on the bottom, so it can't sit on a shelf or stand. If you have a stand that can somehow hold it from its back, then you're in business. But don't forget, you'll want the QS8's about 7 feet high, and to your sides - this makes it optimal for them to just be screwed onto the wall. No hassles with knocking down stands or having cables in the middle of your room.

Subwoofer? Well, yea, most people prefer HSU or SVS, but they are more expensive. I have and EP350 and love it, though I hear it's not as good as the HSU or SVS line up (but it is cheaper). My advice is: if you really can't afford more, get the EP350. If you can, get a sub from HSU or SVS. Just remember SVS has a cubic sub now. the Cylindrical subs look very ugly to me, but I hear they're not THAT bad when you see them in real life.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 04:00 PM
The EP350 is $620, the Hsu VTF-2 is $499. How much of a discount are you getting on the EP350 to make it less than $499? I thought the HT package discount was only 5%, even at 10% the Hsu is still less expensive.

btw...the VTF-2 is awesome.

Posted By: m60i Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 04:55 PM
Is the Axiom-made QSS8 a stand "that can somehow hold the QS8 from its back?" how about other generic stands, ie. the sanus or plateau stands from racksandstands.com? will they be able to hold the QS8 from its back? help!!

ravi_singh wrote:
the QS8's have a woofer on the bottom, so it can't sit on a shelf or stand. If you have a stand that can somehow hold it from its back, then you're in business.

Posted By: FishIsland Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 06:03 PM
Bryan, you might want to look at the following review..it seems as though most folks on this forum talk about the HSU, SVS and Axiom subs..

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews_mitchell.htm
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 06:39 PM
i did purchase the axiom stands for the 8's, and yes they attach to the rear of the speaker. they were designed for the 4's & 8's.
dan
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 08:20 PM
I've read that review before. It's important to note that the VTF-2 sounds pretty much exactly like the VTF-3. The 3 can go a bit lower and can fill a larger room, but sonically, they sound the same. If you're budget can't handle the VTF-3, I honest think the VTF-2 is the biggest subwoofer bargain available.

Posted By: twopecker Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 08:23 PM
I've never seen anyone so die-hard for a subwoofer.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 08:23 PM
I've never been so impressed with a purchase before.
Posted By: curtis Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 08:29 PM
If you wait a month, the Hsu STF series will surely impress at their price points. For $640, the STF-12 will give you all the performance of a VTF-3 that is in max output mode.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 09:02 PM
Bryan, the QS8 should have at least a little breathing room for the bottom woofer, which can be arranged by raising it an inch or so with wedges if it's on a solid stand.

More generally, if the QS8s provide plenty of dispersion as side surrounds, the more direct M2s could well be considered for the back surrounds. The M2, positioned vertically, also serves well as a center speaker.
Posted By: gem41573 Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 09:11 PM
Curtis, I am anxiously awaiting the HSU STF-10. IIRC, you have listened to the STF-12, but have you listened to the STF-10? I recently decided to upgrade to the VTF-2, and then heard about the STF-10, and the wait is killing me. They said September (or October) release, but I was figuring September 1st of course.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speaker Questions - 09/11/03 10:06 PM
I've never been so enamored with a stuffed dog's nose before.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: Speaker Questions - 09/12/03 12:58 PM
I always thought that was a polar bear...
© Axiom Message Boards