Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Highly recommended movie - 09/16/03 05:47 PM
Just watched a DVD last night that I hadn't seen in quite a few years. I had forgotten just how great a film it is.

"Romeo is Bleeding"

All I can say is wow. If you like noir films, go rent or buy this now! Gary Oldman is amazing, (as always) but the real scene stealer is Lena Olin as Mona Demarkov. Holy crap she's nuts!

Just a great, fun, dark, funny, shocking movie.
Posted By: JohnnyCasaba Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/16/03 07:44 PM
Thanks Spiffnme, can't remember ever seeing that one, will check it out soon. Here are 2 good ones I can recommend that may have been missed.

The Salton Sea

The Last Seduction
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/16/03 08:41 PM
I've been wanting to rent The Salton Sea, if only to see a movie with that title. I've got a funny story about the Salton Sea myself.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/16/03 08:42 PM
You can't just come out and say something like that a then not give us the story.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/16/03 08:44 PM
I will...I'm just too busy at work right now to write it all. I'll post it later.
Posted By: alan Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/17/03 08:52 PM
Hi Spiff,

Also very busy here, but I just rented (and reviewed for a home theater mag in Canada) a new DVD release that has a spectacular Dolby Digital soundtrack and amazing visual effects. It's better than good, stupid fun, with some plausible science, although Aaron Eckhart's hair is a little too perfectly messy and coiffed. It's called "The Core"; Hilary Swank, Delroy Lindo, and Stanley Tucci (with an amazing full head of hair). Wait till you see (and hear) the scene where the pigeons go amok in Trafalgar Square with all the tourists. The pigeon flyovers are terrific.

Regards,
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/17/03 08:58 PM
thanks for the tip. I was mildy interested after seeing the trailer for that movie. Now I'll have to go out and rent it! Or maybe Ken will order it through Netflix and let me borrow it....
Posted By: Saturn Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/17/03 09:04 PM
Also the scene when laser chain gun shoots off for the first time through the mountain. All SVS and HSU owner please do it with CAUTION when loud!!!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/17/03 10:13 PM
Ah ha ha ha. We've had the same DVDs for the last 6 months. What's a DVD? And why does my credit card keep getting charged?
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/17/03 10:29 PM
I saw the core in the theater and wanted to gouge my eyes out just to give myself something to do. I just don't think, after having had this much physics, I'm capable of dismissing reality enough to enjoy a movie that absurd.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/17/03 10:42 PM
Heck...I have next to NO science background and when I saw the trailer for that film I could do nothing more than sit there in the theatre shacking my head in disbelief. I can't believe someone wrote that script, and some studio bigwig jackass said "Yeah! Let's make this!".

bleck...
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/17/03 10:52 PM
What was really funny, was that a lot of people were ranting online about the idiocy of the movie's premise and the writer actually tried to respond with arguments about how much he hates junk science fiction and how plausible the movie was. It was a riot.
Posted By: Saturn Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/18/03 01:40 AM
What you don't believe there are diamonds the size of Rhode Island?
Posted By: requiem Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/19/03 04:32 PM
Or that there are a species of super whales that can keep up with the vehicle traveling down the trench?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/19/03 04:49 PM
You can never underestimate the power of the unknown. Just three years ago, a man to which a lot of stuff is unknown became ... oops, I'm not supposed to talk about that stuff. My bad.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/19/03 08:07 PM
Peter...took me a second, but I get it. LOL...
Posted By: Saturn Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/19/03 08:32 PM
What stuff? I don't get it. I think I have to watch more news and read a little more. To many head landings from mtn biking and snowboarding.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/19/03 09:20 PM
Likewise, but ROTFLOL!

That was the best joke you've made in a long time... [evil grin]
Posted By: ZeN Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/19/03 10:52 PM
Dont let MIKEY see this thread!!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Highly recommended movie - 09/19/03 10:54 PM
We're only treading on thin ice...we haven't broken through yet, so MIKEY will have to let this one slide.
© Axiom Message Boards