Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vfreemanoaotca Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:01 PM
I had local axiom owner tell me recently that he returned his boston cherry's for black because the Boston Cherry finish was a lot more brown then red. Kind of dull looking. This has been somewhat disappointing to me because I was going to order a set in the Boston Cherry finish.

Anyone else disappointed or have comments on the Boston Cherry finish?
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:08 PM
I had a tought time choosing between the two colors as well. I ended up w/ boston cherry.

Yes, they are rather brown, not a bright red by any means. I think they are very attractive though. I stayed away from black, just because no matter how well done it is, they just look cheap to me.

If you want, I can try to get some good pics of the speakers in my room, maybe a close up or two so you can see the real color. Its pretty hard to tell just by the pics listed on this website.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:10 PM
I've got an entire 7 speaker setup in boston cherry. It's very nice! It's a dark reddish brown. It looks just as it does on the website. (assuming your monitor isn't whacked)
Posted By: vfreemanoaotca Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:15 PM
twopecker - If you could get some pics that would be great! It would help me finalize my decision.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:17 PM

Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:20 PM
Sorry, forgot to add my comments. I would definitely say get the Boston Cherry. No, they're not as "cherry" as I was hoping, but very attractive. Those pictures are just a quick snap trying to show you the color of them. I think they are a pretty good example of what the color actually is (if that makes sense!).

Enjoy
- Marcus

Posted By: vfreemanoaotca Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:32 PM
wow! I like it a lot. Thanks a lot Marcus. That helps out so much. I appreciate that hugely.

Did you build your own audio rack? Looks great! I was wanting to build myself one as well. How did you do that?

Vaughan
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:47 PM
I just got 5 24"x16" sheets of oak veneered plywood, stained them "boston cherry" (which turned out to be ALOT more orange than the speakers), and used 3 threaded rods and used nuts to hold the racks where I want. Do a search for DIY TNT Flexy rack on google or something.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:47 PM
Shawshank Redemption. Good movie.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:49 PM
Heh, I noticed that after I took the picture. Have a copy of Shawshank Redemption sitting there (GREAT movie, especially on an 88" screen) and James Taylor - Greatest Hits Vol. 2 (great cd to enjoy your axioms with).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:50 PM
Gah! Will you people stop commenting on this thread so I can at least get through the first forum?! ;-)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:51 PM
A Misfits AND James Taylor fan. I love the diversity here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:52 PM
Ken, your strategy is all wrong. Make your way down through the forums and THEN come back to check the posts that were made in the meantime.
Posted By: vfreemanoaotca Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 06:59 PM
Nice jewel case as well. For that CD I would imagine.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 07:06 PM
Actually, the extra jewel case is Davie Bowie - Bowie at the Beeb.

Take that for utter confusion pmbuko!
Posted By: sushi Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 09:45 PM
Is that a WiFi router right behind the VP150??? Marcus, how many times do we have to tell you that those nasty air-bourne digital signals adversely affect the sonic quality of the speaker?

BWAHAHAHA...
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 10:03 PM
Sushi: Dont be stupid man.

I have it BEHIND the center channel, so its actually reenforcing the signals. the VP150 now goes down to 22hz at 105dB. I am thinking of switching over to 802.11g....Rumor is the performance jump there is amazing!

When will you newbs ever learn?!
Posted By: sushi Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 10:08 PM
See... I keep learning great things on these boards. Hallelujah to the Axiom forum!!!
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 10:10 PM
Actually and sadly, the only reason I have my router/access point/cable modem over there is I have NO other power outlets by any other cable outlets in my apt. I have WAAAAAY too many gadgets plugged in throughout the house, which isnt a bad thing =)

Anyone else have a Roomba (robotic vaccuum)...its amazing!
Posted By: sushi Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 10:20 PM
And look at your cheesy AC outlet taps! That must be the "weak link" on your audio system!!! Didn't you know that your system sounds only as good as the weak link is?

Roomba... Yeah, I almost impulse-bought it at least in half a dozen separate occasions. Could you please provide a more detail review?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 10:44 PM
Nice rack, uh, except for the edges. but im sure your gonna do something with those.. right?

If you are really unsure of the color you want im sure i read somewhere on the axiom site they will send you a sample for 15 bucks or something which is refundable with purchase. When i got mine i was unsure of if i wanted black or go on the wild side for a change and get the cherry. I have seen some really bad vinly veneeres that tried to look like wood so i asked amie if she would send me a sample. Got it in the mail a couple days later and i knew thats the color i wanted. the veneer doesnt really look very fake at all. I think you will be very happy.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 10:45 PM
Yeah, i've been postpoing getting some wood strips and putting them on the outside. I think they will be black...IF I ever get around to it =)
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/08/03 10:55 PM
Yeah its easy to make these racks. if you have the right tools.

Its absolutely essential to make sure all the shelves are cut the same and all the holes line up.
Here is the one i made. mine had 4 legs because i like 4 more then 3. I finished mine with some sikkens wood stain it was a mix of teak and mahogany or something. And then finish off with 2 coats of polyurethane. On the edges i just stained those too. Its birch plywood. But i thought the edges came out kina cool the way its got the lines from the plywood.. The second pic isint very good but it just the pic i found first with a closeup of the rack sides...

Posted By: DAVEY_RACKETS Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/09/03 01:13 AM
Anyone with photos on the mansfield beech finish?
Posted By: sushi Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/09/03 04:31 AM
D_R, visit this thread.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/09/03 04:15 PM
heat shrink tubing on the threaded rods might dress it up, and plastic caps on the top nuts too. not being critical, looks great as is.
dan
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/10/03 02:45 AM
oh man, heat shrink on the rods would be horrible. it would be impossible to move shelves around, etc without cutting it all off!

I was thinking of putting some acorn nuts on the top instead of those regular ones but theyre like 3 bucks a peice so. scratch that idea!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/10/03 04:43 AM
I'll post pics of my EC when I finish it. (Almost done! Really!)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/10/03 07:31 AM
Don't worry. You'll have your own garage someday.

But then you'll be drooling over the newest drill presses and laser-fitted radial arm saws. Can you imagine having to make the decision between a table saw and some Maggies?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/10/03 07:10 PM
As long as I've got the Axioms, the DeWalt table saw with extended tables wins. Man, those things are nice...
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/10/03 09:17 PM
think you're right. how about some painted pvc pipe.
comp;aining about $3.00 nuts? what's that in comparison to what you spent on one interconnect?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/10/03 11:09 PM
To be honest, i didnt spend anything on those interconnects... They were given to me by a friend.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/15/03 02:44 PM
I personally love the Boston Cherry finish. It's pretty brown, that's a fact, but it's still nice, regardless.
Posted By: davehead Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/15/03 04:33 PM
You could cut PVC to the lengths needed and paint it with a metallic looking paint like this:

The plywood shelves are trimmed with oak and the "footers" (which are threaded) are standard items at home improvement stores. The top shelf has the nut recessed in the plywood so the rod doesn't stick out.

David

Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/15/03 04:52 PM
Are those a pair of MMG's I see david?

umph.
Posted By: davehead Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/15/03 11:09 PM
Good eyes twopecker! I have M60s now...

David

Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/16/03 02:15 AM
How would you describe the sound of the M60s as compared with the Magnepan speakers?
Posted By: twopecker Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/16/03 02:23 AM
the most obvious, and hardest to explain would be to say that Axioms sound like they're coming from a box, the magnepans dont.
Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/16/03 02:29 AM
Why did you decide to replace the Maggies?
Posted By: davehead Re: Boston Cherry Finish - brown? - 10/16/03 12:56 PM
The Maggies are VERY dependant on placement and don't have very good bass. The MMGs are the budget Maggies, but still do a great job for 2 channel music if you also use a sub. They don't throw as wide a soundstage as the M60s either, so they weren't as good for home theater. I actually preferred my Apogee's over the Maggies, but I think the Axiom speakers are closer to the Apogee's detail without the limitations of a ribbon speaker.

David

© Axiom Message Boards