Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sonicfox Speaker calibration - 10/14/03 11:00 PM
I bought one of those Radio Shack SPL meters and I was wondering what YOU think is the best way to go about calibrationg your home theater speakers. I found three ways to do it and all come out different!

1. Using the test tones on the receiver (which is how it is currently on my setup).

2. Using my DVD player test tones. My player also plays DVD-A...I'm wondering if it's test tones are for that purpose or whenever you wish to play in "direct mode". When I play a cd or DVD which passes through the digital out, I'm assuming the levels would be how my receiver is set...am I correct?

3. Using a set-up DVD (which I have, but the results differ from my receiver test tones!)

What method would you suggest would result in the best balance of sound?

Thanks for any opinions!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker calibration - 10/14/03 11:04 PM
From what I've always been told the best way is to use a DVD setup disc. The internal test tones from receivers and dvd players are notoriously off.

Posted By: Saturn Re: Speaker calibration - 10/15/03 01:06 AM
I second Spiffy's recommendation.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Speaker calibration - 10/15/03 04:05 AM
Sonic,
My thinking behind the setup was to use a dvd setup disc. Since it is dvd disc i would normally be listening to through the system, it makes sense to setup the system with an identical methodology from source to finished 'sound'.
If the a/v receiver were the 'source' of my music then the option would be to use the receiver's test tones for calibration.

That's my 4 cents.
Posted By: m60i Re: Speaker calibration - 10/17/03 11:10 PM
Kinda off subject....yesterday I dropped by the RadShack in the Santa Anita mall and asked if they have the analog SPL meter in stock, after not finding it on the shelves. The sales kid (18yo?) gave a perplexed look and repeated "SPL meter??" and pondered for about 15sec and said they don't carry "that kinda stuff here" and I should go try BB or Frys'.

man...
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Speaker calibration - 10/18/03 05:40 AM
LOL! That's classic.
Posted By: Aeromos Re: Speaker calibration - 10/18/03 09:27 AM
If you don't already have it, try getting your hands on and using Digital Video Essentials. It's suppose to be really good.
Posted By: robdarst Re: Speaker calibration - 10/18/03 02:15 PM
Warning! The LFE calibration settings on the new DVE were bungled, as the author Joe Kane has confessed after serious problems with the disc were reported on the AVS forum. Kane has suggested a workaround, but the consensus seems to be that Avia is still the best way for audio calibration, at least until a corrected "DVE 2.0" comes out. (I preordered DVE but never opened it, since the audio problems were reported before I got around to it, so I can't tell you any more about it.)

As far as the broader issue of test tones vs. calibration discs is concerned, I am in agreement that using a calibration disc is best whenever possible, since the results will most closely reflect what you will actually hear when playing movies and music.

That being said, I did use my player's test tones to calibrate the player's analog outs for DVD-A and SACD. (In my player, the Pioneer 563A, the player's internal calibration settings affect only the analog out channels, not the digital out--check your manual for the fine print.) I figured this would get me close enough for the time being.
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Speaker calibration - 10/18/03 11:22 PM
I have the DVE DVD and the LFE is off by 5-7 db's too low. I would also suggest the original Video Essentials or Avia for calibration or maybe even the Sound & Vision setup disc.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Speaker calibration - 10/19/03 05:42 AM
My last Radio Shack experience was interesting, as well. I stopped in to buy a chimney strap for mounting a pole for a DirecTV dish to a chimney on my roof. I figured that they couldn't make fools of themselves since it wasn't a piece of electronics.

I looked around on my own but couldn't find one. Then an employee asked if he could help me. I told him what I needed and he went into the back and got it for me. Exactly what I needed. I took it to the counter and the manager asked the other employee if he was sure he got the right thing. I assured her that he had. I don't think she heard me because she repeated the question to him.

I stood back and let them finish up their little tiff before paying for it and walking out. Poor guy.
Posted By: Pinoy Re: Speaker calibration - 10/20/03 12:30 AM
I have the same experience but I realized they call it sound level meter and not SPL meter.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Speaker calibration - 10/20/03 01:18 AM
Heh - my new Rat Shack SPL meter should arrive here 2moro. I didn't like analog, so I bought a digital one from their website. I hope it's accurate, as I already sold my analog one - lol.
Posted By: Aeromos Re: Speaker calibration - 10/20/03 06:13 AM
Hey DJ_Stunna,

I've heard many people say they actually prefer the analog over the digital spl meter. They've said it's harder to get the digitals to read the reference levels of db properly no matter how loud they have the volume. I could be wrong but that's what I read from a few owners.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Speaker calibration - 10/20/03 05:29 PM
That's not good .
Posted By: sushi Re: Speaker calibration - 10/20/03 07:02 PM
Don't worry, Will. I've owned both the analog and digital version, and currently I prefer the digital. I gave away my old analog meter to my friend. It is purely a matter of getting used to -- exactly the same thing about the analog vs. digital speedometers on cars (hehe... I am now completely comfortable with the F1-inspired digital gauges on my Honda S2000, too!). In addition, the digital meter has this nifty peak-hold feature -- you don't need it for the basic calibrations but it is nice to be able to digitally read the actual peak sound levels while you listen to your AV system (or even at a live concert).
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Speaker calibration - 10/20/03 08:59 PM
In reply to:

hehe... I am now completely comfortable with the F1-inspired digital gauges on my Honda S2000, too

Oh I hate you soo!!! I love that car, heh, so beautiful and such a high specific output.

And about the digital version, I actually like it - it came in today and I calibrated my system fairly nicely. It seems to be within 7 dB (+-3.5) from under 25 to 15k (even though the meter is only supposed to work from 32 to 15k). I wish it would be able to go to lower, though, as I want to know how many dB's I'm really getting at 20, but the meter says I basically top out(at somewhere around a meter) at 107 with my Eminence and it hits 114 with my Klipsch (both in corners) but I'm unsure how much more its actually doing that the meter isn't detecting because of the roll-off.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: Speaker calibration - 10/21/03 01:10 AM
Playing with a test tone generator at 20 Hz at over 100 dB is fun .
© Axiom Message Boards