Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Thade M3ti as rears? - 10/16/03 01:30 PM
Hi. I'm almost ready to start ordering my axioms but I'm not ready to buy fronts yet due to funds. I'm thinking about going with M3ti as fronts with a 150 center & them moving the M3s to rear when I buy M60s or 22s in a month or 2. Are M3s and 150 a decent combo as fronts? Will the 3s be a good choice for rears? Room size: 20'x 12'

TIA

Jeff

Posted By: spiffnme Re: M3ti as rears? - 10/16/03 01:57 PM
If you're plan is to have M22's or M60's in the front, then you would be better suited having a pair of M2i's. They'll match the M22 or M60 better down the road.

When you say "rear", do you indeed mean rears, as in a 7.1 configuration or "surrounds" as in a 5.1 config? If you plan on sticking with 5.1, I'd skip the M3ti and M2i all together. Save up to buy those M22 or M60 mains first, and when you get the surrounds, get the QS8's. They're the best surround speaker I've heard.

If you are building a 5.1 system, wait the month or two, and get the M22's or M60's first. Then the VP150 center or QS surrounds. You'll not regret it. That's assuming your ultimate goal is 5.1.

If you're planning on 7.1, then like I said, I think the M2i would be a better match for you.

Posted By: JohnK Re: M3ti as rears? - 10/16/03 10:11 PM
Jeff, I completely agree with Craig's analysis, and in particular would point out that you don't need a center speaker initially, so put all the money toward the mains. Also, I assume that by "rears" you're referring to the side surround speakers in a 5.1 setup and would think that a QS would be a bit better for that use.
Posted By: tobz67 Re: M3ti as rears? - 10/16/03 11:06 PM
I second what Craig and John have suggested. I started with M3s, thinking they'd be the cheapest to return if I didn't like them. Loved them and moved them to the sides, replaced by M60s up front. Somewhere along the line budget went out the window and the quest for audio bliss took over. Got the QS8s a couple months ago - amazing! If you want surround sound, the QS series is the only way to go. The M3s worked fine for surrounds, but they create more localized sound compared the QS8s.

The M3s are fabulous little speakers, but if the goal is to upgrade the mains at some point, be patient and do it right the first time.
Posted By: samandnoah Re: M3ti as rears? - 10/17/03 01:52 PM
I'm piling on as well. I don't post much, but trust me these guys are spot on. In my 7.1 config, I've got the M22's up front, VP150 center, QS8 surrounds, and the M2i's as the rears (and to round it out I'm using the SVS 20-39PCi sub). This fills a very large room, 28' x 14' x 9', with about half of one 28' side open to the kitchen. And I like it loud! Clear & clean, but loud.

And before anyone asks why didn't I go w/the M60, this living area is shared btw TV viewing area and a pool table. So the sofa/chairs for viewing the TV are only about 8' from the screen. So the M22's better fit that need, and yet are glorious when using the pool table, or any other part of the house for that matter.

Regards,
Rich
© Axiom Message Boards