Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/22/03 02:27 AM
Yes, that's right. It is time for yet another speaker face off. This one is occurring on Saturday and will be the Ascend 170 vs. the M22 vs. the M60. We'll post some results for everyone. I just hope this doesn't make me want to trade in my M22's for M60's!
Posted By: curtis Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/22/03 03:11 AM
Why would you want to call this a face off?

In reply to:

I just hope this doesn't make me want to trade in my M22's for M60's!

I bet it will.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/22/03 12:45 PM
loudspeakers must sound better on the west coast; that's where all the comparisons take place. sure would like to enjoy a new england face off. (loudspeakers of course)
dan
Posted By: curtis Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/22/03 03:30 PM
I don't know....this is the THIRD listening session these guys are having in the Philly area.
Posted By: twodan19 Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/22/03 04:55 PM
too far for me.
thanks curtis
dan
Posted By: curtis Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/22/03 05:15 PM
Wasn't suggesting you head out there....just saying you east coast guys have a fair amount of sessions too.
Posted By: Zarak Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 01:31 AM
Well, we did it today. It was much more casual this time. I'm not going to get into specific details, they can be seen in prior face off posts. The 60's did not seem so much better then the 22's though, and I actually have less desire to upgrade then I did before. They were certainly better at times, but there were some tracks the 22's were better on.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 07:24 AM
Surprised to hear that. I thought my M60's outperformed my M22's in every respect.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 07:43 AM
I guess we know what spliffnme does at 2 in the morning . Don't feel bad, I browse this even later than you.
Posted By: Zarak Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 01:57 PM
It was mostly one insturmental CD that Curtis had told JohnnyCasaba about. There was a lot going on with different insturments and the M22 seemed to pick up some of those details a little better then the M60.

We also noticed that the Ascends are more efficent then the M60's, which was similar to what we discovered with them before in comparison to the M22. They 60's and 170's were about 4dB apart.
Posted By: curtis Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 03:21 PM
That must be the Ray Montford CD, "Shed Your Skin". I love that disc. When I listen to speakers, I now always bring that disc with me.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 03:38 PM
In reply to:

That must be the Ray Montford CD

Wow, i never thought i would come across another Ray Montford fan in this lifetime. Thought he was too obscure.
Interesting.

Another funny thing is, i'm not the fan being referred to.
Posted By: curtis Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 03:44 PM
chesse,

I learned about Ray Montford through Hsu Research. They used one of the tracks from "Shed Your Skin" in a demo I heard at their offices. I then went off and ordered the disc. Everyone that I have played it for has loved it.

I also have his latest one, but I do not think it is quite as good as "Shed Your Skin". Any of his other discs do you think are as good?
Posted By: willscary Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 04:05 PM
The Ascend 170s are MORE efficient than the M60s?? And 4Dbs more??
Posted By: spiffnme Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 05:08 PM
Ascend speakers are pretty darn efficient. If I remember correctly, the 340's are even more efficient than the 170's. Curtis?
Posted By: willscary Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 05:25 PM
They may be. I don't generally trust specs, but I have read many reviews on the Ascends, Rockets, and Axioms before deciding to try the Axioms first. I kept them because I liked them so much. The reviews all say the M80s play very efficiently. The reviews of the Ascends (that I have seen) all place it in the 90db/1W/1m area, considerably less than what I read on the Axioms, and just slightly higher than the Rockets. Just wondering how the Ascends are not only more efficient, but 4dbs to boot! I know you guys are talking about the M60s, but I would have thought the M60s would have been 3 to 4db louder than the Ascends, judging from the reviews I read and the comments people on other forums have made.

Posted By: curtis Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/26/03 05:54 PM
Yeah...the 340's are even more efficient.

When we had the budget speaker listening session out here earlier in the year, I remember reading the efficiency rating for the M22's and the CBM-170's, and expecting the M22's to sound louder. It was not the case. I do not remember how much louder 170's were, but it was not a minuscule amount.

Will...the specs you have seen in reviews, were they manufacturer specs or third party? I know the specs that Ascend lists for their products are as measured by a third party.

-curtis
Posted By: Zarak Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 10/27/03 10:49 PM
I didn't look at specs for either....just used the SPL to compare. And yes, the CD was Shed your skin....we all liked what we heard of it....it's a good combination of lots of instruments mixed together....interesting stuff.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 11/01/03 01:04 AM
This artist must be really obscure...I cannot find anything by him in a search on Amazon.com...can anybody tell me more about this disk?

Mark
Posted By: curtis Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 11/01/03 01:06 AM
www.raymontford.com which seems to be down now.

try http://www.maplemusic.com/dept.asp?dept_id=1311
Posted By: mhorgel Re: 3 way Speaker Face Off - 11/01/03 01:08 AM
I figured that out about 30 seconds after I posted the question and googled his name.

Mark
© Axiom Message Boards