Axiom Home Page
Posted By: brwsaw QS10 review - 11/28/17 09:09 PM
Anyone read a review online yet, outside this forum?
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: QS10 review - 12/01/17 03:39 PM
Rats! I thought you were posting one !!! smile

maybe a question mark on the subject?
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/01/17 03:47 PM
Nothing yet but I do expect them, like the M5HPs, to sound very good. I'll be moving to them from the QS8s soon.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: QS10 review - 12/01/17 08:17 PM
Kinda got the bug again but Ive only seen one review.
Thinking about my next room is a passion of mine and at the same time I need to reign in my wants because I'm stuck with the room I have.
I like my LCR without subs, thinking the QS10 might compliment the set up and or allow a lower (universal) cross over with my current avr.
Posted By: brendo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 12:02 AM
I have no experience with the smaller Qs series but the 10 is a great performer.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 01:27 AM
I need some! I think I also need M100s. Those might give me the slam I've been looking for. VP160 and EP800v4 on the way!
Posted By: Rjlitho Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 02:00 AM
Well, maybe QS10s next I have finally completed my system, my wife has been very kind to me over the last six months .The M100S UMM fantastic along with the rest of my Axiom gear . These guy are great, customer service top notch All in Canada .Great Job Axiom

Bob M
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 03:57 AM
I'm gonna do it! I'm close to pulling the trigger and completing my huge upgrade!! Oh Lord help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Posted By: brendo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 07:27 AM
The VP!60 is awesome so much now a days is center related the bigger the better. Have enjoyed mine so much the last couple years.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 01:02 PM
I'm looking forward to it and the EP800v4. Craig Chase said it's the best sub he's heard including the $12K JL Audio Gotham and SVS SB-16 Ultra. Quite a feat of engineering I'd say.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 01:13 PM
The Gotham is now $25K. Maybe Craig meant the Fathom. Either way, the EP800 must be awesome.

Dale Rasco characterized it back in Oct 2012. I believe that's the v3. Judging by the waterfall plot, the cabinet must be stiffer than the EP600v2 I have. Getting rid of the port really took care of distortion.

I think the v4 has a new driver and amp. Does anyone have any info on the v4 vs v3?
Posted By: craigsub Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 05:39 PM
Mojo ... the Gotham is now $15k in USD retail.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 06:56 PM
Yeah...$25K up here in hinterland. Thanks very much for your help, Craig. I have high hopes for the EP800v4.

I have M80v2. Do you think I should go for M100v4?
Posted By: brendo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 08:38 PM
I would expect the 800 to shake your house to the foundation no problem. My 500 is awesome never made a single off sound yet the DSP is wonderful.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 09:02 PM
My EP600v2 shakes my foundation and the neighbors' to either side. I am looking for tighter and less distorted bass and hence the move the EP800. Brendo, is your 500 a v4?
Posted By: brendo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 09:18 PM
Yes V4
I began my Axiom life at the transition to V4 2013/2014 I think.
Now have all 9 channels V4.

With the sealed Bass is tight responsive quick. The DSP and design never let out any chuffing distortion. Even playing DJ Magic Mike{Make the car go boom} or any old school Bass music When they actually put a warning will damage speakers extreme Bass on the labels.

The reviews are tricky since most are older, outdated V2/V3 etc.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/02/17 10:39 PM
Yeah...I noticed that about the reviews. They didn't quite mesh with what others were telling me about the v4.
Posted By: craigsub Re: QS10 review - 12/03/17 12:37 AM
Mojo - You will love the M100's. A quick story - we had a pair Rocket 760's in our family room until a recent home remodel. I replaced the 760's with the M50's, and it was a pretty big improvement in the mids, the musicality, and enjoyment.

More remodeling was done, and I just put the M100's into the family room, moving the 50's to the basement theater as back channels for the LFR-1100's.

The step up in sound quality from the M50's is astonishing. The M100's are so good that I just sold the Legacy Signature SE's ($8000 per pair USD) because of the quality of the M100's.

A pair of M100's with an EP800 may cause a problem - you will eventually want another EP800.

Ian and I were talking two months ago about the M-100's and a pair of EP800's as a Super Speaker set for under $10,000 USD.

I told him to rebadge the 100's (and LFR-1100's) as Colqhoun Labs Model 100 and model 1100 Towers ... and add the EP800's for a variey of packages.

He did the Ian laugh, and seemed to love the idea, but probably decided rebranding was too much.

The thing is - I can't think of another Super Speaker that could touch this set up.

Get the 100's.

Back to the Gotham ... $25,000 in Canada? Looks like JL takes the exchange rate a little TOO seriously.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/03/17 01:15 AM
Damn, guys. How am I going to afford groceries and deodorant?
Posted By: craigsub Re: QS10 review - 12/03/17 01:39 AM
Mojo ... Some ideas ...

1. Work overtime
2. Become a Gigolo
3. Ask Ian for a loan
4. Eat less and malodorous more.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/03/17 02:11 AM
1.Already am but for passion and not money

2.My target market would be small consisting of the blind

3.Ian is spending so much innovating he needs our money

4.I think nutritional and hygienic abstinence is the only solution
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: QS10 review - 12/13/17 01:39 PM
Well, my qs10's arrived yesterday morning. smile

I spent all day ripping apart the living room and neatly running new and better speaker wire to the rear location, plus cleaning up the rats nest behind my entertainment stand.

I also decided to take advantage of my dual binding posts on my m80's. I understand the consensus is that "buy"-wiring on passive crossovers does nothing, but what the hell. Lol

I've never owned an axiom surround before and going from a R-55 sound dynamic bookshelf speaker...

(http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649277338-sound-dynamics-r55-bookshelf-speakers/)

...to the qs10 is going to be an extremely noticeable difference.

I got it all hooked up. Ran a full auto mcacc.

Over and over again it kept reading my surround right speaker as reverse phase. I re-checked connections and everything is as it should be. Eventually I just ignored it and continued on with the auto mcacc.

It set all the speakers to large, which is what I would have done manually(I prefer it for various reasons).

It set the crossover to 80 Hz. I normally run it at 50hz, but left it alone for the time being.

After 10 hours of hooking things up and getting the living room back in order, running a quick and basic setup I was finally ready to hear it.

I queued up 3 or 4 audio tracks I was familiar with and gave a listen in both extended stereo and surround.

I then watched the edge of tomorrow with the wife.

She isnt into my home theater in any sort of fashion as we are, but instantly exclaimed how different and good the movie sounded. And she sounded legitimately excited/impressed.

I felt immersed in a field of sound. And when needed, they had weight behind their sound. In one scene a helicopter was flying in and the sound around and behind me would normally sound thin in comparison to when it reaches the front. Not this time! I could damn well nearly feel the air as if a real chopper was coming in for a landing behind me!

She also described the speakers as "sexy beasts" lol. I definitely agree with her wink

I had a small limited exposure to my new toys last night, but so far im extremely impressed.

If anyone is interested, I will follow up with some more detailed observations after I get a bit more time with them
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: QS10 review - 12/13/17 04:18 PM
All the QS speakers are amazing imho. I have the QS4's in the bedroom and even when watching cable tv i will hear something behind me and forget they are there and it will catch me off guard. I really found direct radiating speakers just dont cut it for surround, and i am concerned about losing that effect if i were to go to atmos. I have lots of movies that arent atmos and i would hate to compromise that experience by missing out on the greatness of my QS8's. I am looking forward to more insights as you use them more. I find putting the QS's up higher than i normally would a normal speaker to work extremely well and they are quite forgiving as ian has stated.
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/13/17 05:54 PM
Chesser, this is very encouraging. How far away are the QS10s from your main listening position?
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: QS10 review - 12/13/17 09:46 PM
It's probably not that ideal.

Which is another reason I wanted them. I read they are a very forgiving speaker in regards to placement

I have a sectional at the back of my living room (roughly 13 feet from m80s). I have a qs10 on stands just slightly behind(one sitting behind the end of the sectional and the other in the empty space where it corners around the wall on my left).

I'd say they are 4 to 6" behind my head in the main listening position and they are each about a 4 1/2 foot distance from me.

I haven't measured it but they are wider spread than my m80s. The qs10's are 8.5 to 9 feet apart from each other while 9 estimate my m80's are 6 to 7 feet from each other. I could measure when I get home.

I would like to go wider with the m80's but then I'd be putting my right speaker in the opening to my living room lol

I have my subs at each end of my sectional (nowhere else to put them). They double as drink holders wink
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/13/17 10:28 PM
I'm 14' away from the M80s on the diagonal. The M80s are 10' apart and well away from the side walls. Spread yours further apart and you may never be able to put them closer together again. IMO, that opening to the living room isn't really as important as good soundstage...LOL!

Try putting the QS10s a foot ahead of your head if you can.

My side QS8s are 13' away from my MLP and 22' away from each other. Serenity_Now may be correct that I should try direct instead of reflecting speakers.
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: QS10 review - 12/14/17 06:47 PM
Haha yeah the wife wouldn't approve of my quest for the nirvana soundstage lol

Your setup sounds great. Sizeable room...those surrounds are far away compared to mine!

Can anyone maybe offer insight as why the left surround is coming up as reverse phase when running mcacc? Every single time.

Triple checked connections...no unwanted contact, brand new wire, no mixing up polarity, etc

I ignore it and continue on and it sounds great but it's eating away at me
Posted By: brwsaw Re: QS10 review - 12/14/17 06:52 PM
Could be more/less bass from being more confined/closer to a boundary...assuming ones in a corner and the other not.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: QS10 review - 12/14/17 06:53 PM
My Yamaha AVR does the same for my Towers every other time I run YPAO.
Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: QS10 review - 12/14/17 07:14 PM
K thank you to both. It just eats away at me and that eases my obsessiveness over it lol

The surround right that is doing it is at the end of my sectional which opens up into dining room...so no corner. The surround left is near a corner tho and comes up fine

I'm currently combing the mcacc thread at avs forums. I'm pretty newbish when it comes to this stuff

Posted By: Mad_Chesser Re: QS10 review - 12/14/17 08:26 PM
I just ran 6 mcacc. 2 of which were analyzing the reverb and then selecting a different delay time(under symmetry) via the eq professional/advanced eq.

I have 7 days off work and I plan to test these bad boys out thoroughly!

Some proper first impressions coming soon
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS10 review - 12/14/17 10:18 PM
You go, dude!
© Axiom Message Boards