Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ser182 sugg. on center - 11/07/03 04:38 PM
Do I have to buy the same brand center as the mains? i heard that it has to be the same. Is this false? I'm going to get the m22, but I have not found any reveiws on the centers by axiom. I'm intrested in the vp-100. any of you got any info on it? Thx
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: sugg. on center - 11/07/03 04:48 PM
VP-150 is the one to get.
Posted By: sushi Re: sugg. on center - 11/07/03 05:28 PM
They don't HAVE TO be from the same brand -- for one, I mix-and-match my Hales L/R mains with the Axiom VP150 fairly successfully. But you have to be extremely careful when you mix different brands within a multi-channel system. There is no guarantee that they are timbre-matched enough to provide a seamless surround sound, especially among the front L/C/R.

So, I would definitely go with an Axiom center unless you HAVE TO go otherwise for some specific reasons. And I agree with Jimmy -- the VP150 is the way to go if you can afford it. Alternatively, in case you can nicely place a vertical center channel (not many people can), a third M22 will make an ideal L/C/R combo.
Posted By: JohnK Re: sugg. on center - 11/07/03 10:20 PM
Also, if a vertical M22 would be a bit tall for you, a vertical M2 would be a fine consideration.
Posted By: hbellew Re: sugg. on center - 11/08/03 06:21 AM
Sushi is right, you don't have to stay in the same brand across all speakers.

The reason this is suggested is so when a sound pans from one speaker to the next it does not change in pitch or tone. By staying with 5 speakers that are made to work as a package you reduce this effect to virtually nothing.

You can get the same level of integration with mixed speakers but it becomes more of a challenge to do so.

Henry
© Axiom Message Boards