Axiom Home Page
Posted By: RKG Receiver / Speaker output issue - 08/28/22 01:36 PM
I have a Sherwood Newcastle R-965 surround receiver. It is at least 15 years old. It is putting out sound only through the right front speaker. The test tone feature works on all speakers so I assume the speakers are working and connected properly. I have gone through all of the speaker set up functions and can not find any reason why only one speaker works. I have not used this system for quite a while. Is there any more troubleshooting to do or is this now an issue with a receiver that needs repair or more likely replacement.

M80's; VP150 and QS8's; no sub.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Receiver / Speaker output issue - 08/28/22 02:36 PM
Make sure the Balance isn't set all the way to the right channel.

Check the channel levels.

It could be your source or cables. See if both speakers play when using the radio.

Finally, set it to Mono. If it plays both sides, it means stereo processing isn't working right.

Is sound coming out from the center and surrounds?
Posted By: RKG Re: Receiver / Speaker output issue - 08/28/22 05:20 PM
No sound from center or surrounds except when I run a test tone to set speaker levels
Posted By: Curved Air Re: Receiver / Speaker output issue - 08/28/22 10:30 PM
To Mojo’s point, have you tried one of the basic RCA stereo inputs, like CD, and see if that changes anything?
Posted By: Hambrabi Re: Receiver / Speaker output issue - 08/29/22 11:17 PM
If the above troubleshooting doesn't work, there's a factory reset for your receiver that's not in the owner's manual (I checked).

Quote: "Once in Standby
Mode: Locate the TONE MODE & ROOM 2 buttons behind the drop down panel on
the front of the receiver. Press and hold down both the TONE MODE & ROOM 2
buttons simultaneously and for at least 3 seconds. This will reset this unit. After you have
reset this unit turn it back on. You should notice that the receiver powers up at 87.5 FM
if the reset was successful. If not, repeat the reset process."

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/sherwood-r-965-problems.264095/
© Axiom Message Boards