Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MIKEY Whats better? Two VP150's, or one VP180? - 08/26/23 09:24 PM
Yeah, I know, kind of a dopey question, but!
If I have one VP150 down low, and the other hanging from the ceiling, I'd have more presence.. Correct?
You see, I have my M80's flying, and used to have the VP150 flying as well.. But the change to a 135" projected image, (Epson 6050ub.. Painted wall), had me bring the VP b back down to earth..
Bottom line, sometimes multiple smaller outshines a larger single..
Thanks in advance, for your thoughts on this..
Ideally you want your tweeters for left, center, right to be at approximately the same level. Also ideally at ear level when seated if possible. I'm guessing having an upper and lower center channel would almost give you what is called a phantom speaker affect. People that don't have a center channel rely on their left/right to simulate or create a phantom speaker.

Interesting
Pics please!

I fall in the camp of having the front LCR channels on the same horizontal plane. But if the room layout dictates another arrangement, you'll just have to make do and run with it.

BTW, how's the projector, and have you thought about a lenticular screen?
Posted By: rrlev Re: Whats better? Two VP150's, or one VP180? - 08/31/23 05:19 AM
Before Trevor convince me to go with an acoustical transparent screen I was planning on putting a VP180 below and a on wall above the screen. The thought was that I could mix them to get the sound to the right vertical placement. I never tried it but heard that it works.

My AT screen (150”) now has a single VP180ow behind it … I’m happy with it.
When I had just a VP180 below you noticed the displaced dialog.
I switched from the VP180HP to the VP 160HP below the screen, angled up towards the listener. The VP160HP sounds more natural and has less displacement than the VP180 did.
Posted By: MIKEY Re: Whats better? Two VP150's, or one VP180? - 09/09/23 07:38 PM
OK.. Well, thanks very much to everyone for your input..
Having read some more of the reviews on the beast, and, having spoken with Andrew Fletcher @ Axiom, I went with the VP-180..
Here's hoping my Denon AVR X6700H has enough juice (spec'd @ 140 per channel) to make this thing sing!!
For what it's worth, I had my x6700H pushing the VP180HP and it sounded fine.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Whats better? Two VP150's, or one VP180? - 09/11/23 05:00 AM
You crossed it at 80 Hz.
© Axiom Message Boards