Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thom axiom speaker cables - 12/01/03 08:01 AM
Has anyone tryed these yet?? How do they stack up?
Posted By: mhorgel Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/01/03 11:32 PM
Personally, I am a believer that expensive speaker cables are mostly voodoo. Go to Home Depot, get a 250 foot roll of 12 guage speaker wire for $63, and put the connector of your choice (I prefer banana plugs) on the ends. You'll have enough wire to make speaker cables for your entire home theater system!

Mark
Posted By: thom Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/01/03 11:57 PM
well yea theres no way i would be considering there wires if i was going to use them for an entire HT setup. But for my 2 channel system which i only need 2 9 foot cables the price isn't to unreasonable, they also look verywell built.
Posted By: ralderman Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/02/03 12:22 AM
I like them, they look very nice. I have Liberty 12ga now and Axiom cable looks very similar. A lot of people say that it doesn't matter and you don't gain anything. I agree, but I hate clear wire, and your wires definitly are noticed when your showing the system off. Most don't look at them, but to some it's worth it. I also like Black Box wire, they have the best warranty, fido protection.

Axiom cables are fairly priced, and they cover shipping.

It's mainly personal preference.

Rick
Posted By: MiniRock Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/02/03 09:34 AM
I'll be ordering some this week, and I'll be sure to post my impression.:)
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/02/03 12:13 PM
I agree Rick, even if I could hide all the clear wires I'd still know they were there and I hate that look. Sort of like wearing a cheap tie with a good suit, doesn't feel right.

All in all it's very much a personal thing, boring world if we all had the same opinions.

Posted By: alan Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/02/03 03:35 PM
Hi thom,

No voodoo claims for "stunning improvement in inter-transient silences" or other dubious stuff, but each conductor has 369 strands. It is very high quality and very low resistance. Our bench measurements show a resistance of 0.003 ohm per foot, so you won't waste any amplifier power heating up your speaker cables!

Regards,
Posted By: thom Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/03/03 01:23 AM
thank you alan for the info its nice to know that they will help me get all the performance that i can out of my amp with a price that is resonable. I think we all know from the prices of there speakers that axiom supplies good product for great prices. I assume that in this case its no difference. I will also be ordering a pair to go with my nad c320bee that i will getting for christmass i am sure they will be a step up from the 16 gauge clear crap cable i have now
Posted By: HTEric Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/13/03 01:54 PM
Well if this can help you any I just bought some Monster Cable Z1 speaker wire, with a retail price of 6$ a foot. One of the things to keep in mind here is both wires for the front speakers have to be the same lenght, regardless of how much you really need per side. They made a huge difference, and the claim that the sound is warmer and the bass is deeper is true. To each is own I guess. I have Energy C-5 towers and an Axiom VP-50 center, combined with QS2 rears and an Energy sub. Sounds amazing now.

My .02 cents.
Posted By: mwc Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/13/03 02:19 PM
Uh-oh! TAKE COVER!!!!
Posted By: MiniRock Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/13/03 05:33 PM
Never really cared for the Z Series, but if you'd like an even better improvement try the M2.2's.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/13/03 10:18 PM
Jeezus, I could get Kimbers for less than that. (just commenting on the price.)
Posted By: JohnK Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 12:02 AM
Eric, your comments are out of touch with the realities of physics and electrical engineering. In particular, on the equal-length cable matter you might take a look at the thread on that in the Technical Questions board a couple days ago.
Posted By: mwc Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 12:24 AM
In reply to:

(just commenting on the price.)

Hey, we know you secretly want those Kimbers...right Saturn?
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 12:33 AM
if money can buy you happiness, then buy all the happiness you can afford

if you think the speaker cables made a difference, then they did
Posted By: HTEric Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 02:28 AM
Maybe. You learn everyday. Also, the Z1 speaker wire cost me 3.75$/foot canadian, so I'm not too worried I got hosed.

Thanks for pointing me to the thread you mentioned.

Eric
Posted By: HTEric Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 02:29 AM
That is MSRP. I paid 3.75$/foot canadian.

Not too bad IMO.
Posted By: HTEric Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 02:30 AM
Hey hey. It takes someone to start fires sometimes!
Posted By: Saturn Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 04:37 AM
KimbersKimbersKimbersKimbersKimbersKimbersKimbersKimbers
4TC.. yup

ps:I sleep with my Kimbers. I tie myself up with them.
......ops wrong forum
Posted By: mwc Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 04:44 AM
Keeps the board from becoming dull.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 04:48 AM
Speaking of cables...

I just tried to go to the Blue Jeans Cables site and it didn't come up. Are they gone, or is the site just down? I hope they're not gone, they were BY FAR the most affordable decent cables I'd found.
Posted By: mwc Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 04:50 AM
LOL... Saturn, you're a hoot!
Posted By: mwc Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 04:58 AM
i just tried thier site, it must be down. Have you seen these www.cobaltcable.com/index.htm

They look pretty good and are relatively afordable but then you could say the same for Axiom cables too.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 04:59 AM
Blue Jeans interconnects were $26. Even Axiom's are about double that.
Posted By: mwc Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 05:27 AM
Wow! Didn't realize they were that inexpensive.

I bought a pair of these the other day www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F003%5F003&product%5Fid=15%2D1001. They are surprisingly stout and well made but a little stiff. I think it's a good value. It's just kind of hard to get past the RS name.
Posted By: curtis Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 05:27 AM
I'm going to make my own speaker cables for the heck of it.

I bought 12gauge copper wire, silver plated, with a teflon cover. I bought 50ft in blue, another 50ft in white and will twist them together.. Cost me $33. Will make two 15ft pairs...and one 10ft pair (a pair in this case meaning two wires), so I will have 10feet leftover. Six pairs of banana plugs was about $24 at PartsExpress. Some shrink wrap..$4. And some TechFlex for all three cables about $23. So about $84 for three speaker cables, $57 if I didn't want them to look good.

I should have everything by Tuesday. I have the wire now....and it is pretty heavy.
Posted By: mwc Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 05:30 AM
Sounds like a fun project. Did you get all the materials from PartsExpress?
Posted By: curtis Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 05:37 AM
the wire came from apexjr.com

The rest came from partsexpress.
Posted By: JohnK Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 06:40 AM
Craig, you didn't mention exactly what you needed, but these audio and video interconnects are available in 1 1/2' to 25'.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 07:09 AM
I think I've got a set of those for dubbing from TiVo to VCR. They seem to work.
Posted By: BigWill Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 04:51 PM
John, I bought some of those (again following your recommendation) to go from my TV to my receiver, and a long one to go to my sub. In both cases it seems to have been an improvement over the free, skinny, red and black cables that I had laying around. In particular the TV's audio output through the receiver seems to have been increased significantly.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 06:49 PM
I've been slowly switching out all my Monster Cable. So far I've bought a pair from Heartland Cables, and a pair from River Cables. Both seemed to be pretty much the same, and both cost about $55/pair. Then I found the Blue Jeans cables online. As far as I could tell they're made from the same parts (Belden cable, Canare connects, etc), but only cost about $26/pair. I'm not in any hurry, I've got all the connection made. I just hate all that monster cable I've bought. (If I'd only know how many other choices there were out there!)

I just checked again, and their site is back up. Must have just been down last night. Blue Jeans. They really need a website guru. Their site is pretty ugly.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/14/03 07:05 PM
Good stuff, though. I'm thinking of replacing all of my "out of box" cables at some point, and I think I'll look there. Of course, then there's my ADB cables subbing for s-video cables! :-)
Posted By: Saturn Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/15/03 12:14 AM
Based on what I'm reading some of the old hands are actually trying brand name cables....WOW...last week some people were looking into higher end amps (few months ago people are saying power is power)...this week people looking into better cables....wow....

how ironic.

Posted By: curtis Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/15/03 12:36 AM
Hey spiff...I'm thinking about replacing my mish-mash of cables too. Maybe we can get an additional discount from BlueJeans if we buy a lot together.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/15/03 09:00 AM
It's worth a shot.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: axiom speaker cables - 12/15/03 12:18 PM
Blue Jean cables make a very good product for their price. I use 1 of their S-Video cables and have 6 audio cables for DVD-Audio/SACD.

I just wish they made speaker cables at their prices. The best price wise for speaker cables seems to be Heartland.
© Axiom Message Boards