Axiom Home Page
Ian:

My wife bought me an Onkyo 696 for the holidays. Its now time to upgrade my speakers and I've been doing lot's of research. Everything points to Axioms, which certainly bodes well for you.

Our media area is 12' wide and 17' long with the ceiling being 11' high on one side and 8' high on the other. The television has to be on the 12' wall as its the only wall without windows or a fireplace. I say this is our media area, not room, since its part of a larger room which includes my kitchen, dining room and game room.

Additionally, I'm reluctant to order any speakers yet as we have ordered some new furniture for the media area and until that arrives I won't really be able to assess proper placement.

First off, I don't expect my HT setup to power the entire 'larger' room, just the 'media area'. I intend for a second pair of speakers to supply the gameroom with sound.

Enough background, on to the questions.

Given the requirement from the wife that speakers (sub excluded) must either be mounted to the wall or on shelves, what Axiom choices do I have? Does the size of the room matter as much as the listening area? Are Axiom shelf speakers going to get lost in this one big room? Can they be wall mounted?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for your comments. We have a couple of options that will work very well in your environment. For the front channels I would suggest either the M3s or the M22s. The M22s being preferable from a power and room size point of view but you need to see if they will be ok for size on your bookshelf. Both can be mounted to the wall. Our wall mount bracket will not be available until the spring but a company called Omnimount, and some other companies as well, have brackets available that will work great. In the rear I would suggest the QS8s. I am assuming there is a wall behind your seating area, but with your open concept if there is not a wall there, you can mount them to the sidewalls and this works just as well. I would highly suggest keeping the sub on the large side because of the open space. The EP350 would be best but if it is too large for you the EP175 or two EP125s would be viable options. For the center, either the VP100 or VP150 are your choices. The VP150 will give you more output, more power handling, and a better left to right imaging. If you decide on the M3s the VP100 would probably make more sense in that the VP150 may be overkill. If you decide on the M22s I would try and stay with the VP150 if possible. I hope this helps in your decision and we are very pleased you have decided to use our products. We will work very hard to make sure you get the best products and service in the marketplace.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
© Axiom Message Boards