Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Tivo - 01/22/04 12:59 AM
I think the time has come for a Tivo. I don't watch all that much TV, but the shows I like, I keep missing.

I know nothing about them. What's their deal?

I'm looking at the Tivo site now, but I'd like to hear what actual users say, rather than Tivo's marketing machine.

Happy now?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 01:04 AM
Don't walk. Run. You will never watch TV the same again.

Basically, all the hype is true.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 01:10 AM
geez Craig, you couldn't even post a hyperlink eh? Think of all the people that'll have to cut & paste into their address bar now!
Posted By: Van_G Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 01:25 AM
Anyone in Canada using Bell Express Vu using Tivo? BEV offers their own DVR but they charge an arm and a leg for old technology!
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 01:30 AM
much better!
Posted By: twopecker Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 01:41 AM
Honestly, I could live without my axioms, but never without TIVO!

Between working full time and school full time, I watch very little TV. It is truly wonderful to be able to watch all the good shows when I have a spare half hour. Just went home over my lunch and watched American Chopper from last night.

Tivo is definitely one of the BEST components for a complete home entertainment center. (not trying to start a flame war here, just go pick up a TiVo, you'll see what I mean).

And oh yeah, any specific questions, shoot me a msg.
Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 02:27 AM
craig,

Next week come on over and I will give you the full DirecTiVo demo.

I can not imagine TV without it now.
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 03:26 AM
Okay...you've got a couple of options..either buy a standard recorder, buy a giant recorder, or buy a modded smaller recorder that is now giant. I'm sure you know these guys are the well known modders of Tivo...weaknees. Basically they've streamlined the process for the little guy. You can either buy the modded tivo from them, buy the goods from them to do it yourself, or buy the goods from somewhere else and follow their instructions. Depends on how much time you want to invest in it.

I'm sure you're thinking "heck, I just need the basic one". However from what I've read a lot of people like recording at better levels and never realize how much they'll want to save.

As with the rest of input around here I don't have one yet . I'm just serving up information that I'm hording for that magical time when the universe aligns and something else isn't draining my pockets. I'm also sure you already know all this anyway, but figured it was worth regurgitating in case someone less experienced needs beginner help.

-Nick
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 03:48 AM
As a counter argument, let me throw in a plug for the standalone TiVo. Improvements:
1. More capacity in general. Peter got a 20hr DirecTiVo (right?) several months after I got my 60hr standalone. I don't know how he does it... I'm sure there are high capacity DirecTiVos, so this argument may be moot.
2. Adjustable quality. I have 4 quality levels: low (pretty much unwatchable, but ok if you're just curious about a show), medium (good in general), high (pretty damn good), and best (can't really tell the diff between high and best.) I think the DirecTiVos record at high or best. Let me tell you why this is important: my TiVo has a 120 GB drive and a 60 GB drive for a total of 222 hrs low, 130 hrs on medium, 98 hrs on high, 60 hrs on best. I certainly don't want to record everything on high or best; I'd rather have the space.

The downside to the standalone is that you can't record 2 things at the same time or record one thing and watch live at the same time--thru the TiVo. However, you can record, switch to normal TV input (or whatever) and watch that way, without the TiVo functions.

In any case, I'm like the others. I can't really imagine switching back to not having TiVo. Yes. The hype is true.
Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 06:00 AM
the adjustable quality is not really an advantage. Standalone TiVos have to take the analog signal and convert it to digital format...so there is a loss of quality. DirecTiVo take the the straight digital connection from the satellite and get the higest recording time without a loss of quality.

I upgraded my DirecTivo from 35 hours to 70 hours, which is plenty for me an the kids.
Posted By: Willy Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 12:34 PM
I've had a 30hr Tivo since they came out and seriously can't believe that everyone that watches any amount of TV doesn't have one. The last few years I've only watched exactly what I've wanted to watch, when I've wanted to watch it....oh, and the only reason I know commercials still exist is because of the pain of sitting through them at other people's houses.
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 02:24 PM
Spiff,
I think you have to sign up for a year contract (this may have changed since I looked into it back in Calif.) Also, you have to have a phone jack near the TV. I hear nothing but rave reviews from everyone I know that has it. Personally, I don't need anything that will encourage more TV watching... already a big enough problem for me. But, for you -- what the heck, life is short -- go for it. How can you beat On-Demand Gilligan's Island??

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 04:53 PM
My TiVo is 35 hours as well. So far, I've had no need to upgrade it.

If you think getting a TiVo means you'll watch less TV, you're mistaken.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 04:56 PM
Bilbo, the nearest phone jack to my TV is about 40 feet away in another room. That's why they make long cables.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 05:57 PM
Peter, I need to understand the phone/Tivo interface requirements better.

I'm interested (and thankful for this thread). We currently have analog cable and are happy with the offerings and need added value to spend more "per month". I think Tivo is that added value, but would come as a result of upgrade to either digital cable or DirecTV.

Do you need *continuous* phone access? Or just periodic to get updates? A 40-foot run of phone line across the living room is going to flunk the WAF, big time.
Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 06:45 PM
No...you do not need continuous phone access. Standalone TiVo's use the phone line for TV schedule information and software updates. This call is made once a day, or even longer.

Also, Standalone TiVos can use an ethernet connection on a home network to access the internet and do the same thing.

DirecTiVos need the phoneline as well, but it is more for DirecTV billing purposes. These units get TV schedule and software updates from the sattelite.

Also...there are now wireless phone jacks you can use instead of long phone cable runs.

I actually find that I do watch less TV because of it. I do not channel surf any more.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Tivo - 01/22/04 11:54 PM
I've never had it, but I really don't see the need. There isn't that much I watch, and if there is a show I want to see when I won't be around, that's what the VCR is for.

I wonder how long Tivo and some of these similar companies are going to be around. It seems like the cable company is starting to include a similar service in many areas as a part of the package you get with digital cable. If it's already included, then who needs Tivo.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 12:13 AM
Some of those cable companies are using TiVo technology. Besides, from what I know, TiVo works a lot better than the non-TiVo ones.

Enjoy your commercials.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 01:56 AM
Wow...I didn't think I'd get this much response!

I have a concern with the phone hookup. I only have a phone line for my DSL service. I don't use it as a phone at all. Because of that, I have measured service. I pay for all my calls. How often is the Tivo going to be dialing out?
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 02:56 AM
There is a profound difference between a PVR and TiVo that causes the sort of fanaticism you see in this thread and any other talking about the technology. It's functionality is simply far above what the others offer.

Anyone interested in buying a TiVo right now, though, may want to read this:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=67909965&m=59600423118
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 03:24 AM
It dials out either once a night or once a week. It'll hang up if you pick up the phone. I've never had a problem with it. You could just run the TiVo over ethernet. No charge that way! (I think it may even work with wireless, but I'm not certain how it does it.)
Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 04:21 AM
you would have to get a cat5 to wireless adapter....and it does work.

If you have DirecTiVo, you would just need to let the thing call once a month to appease DirecTV billing.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 08:32 PM
I'm late on this thread but also a Tivo evangelist. I have had a number of friends/coworkers that drank the kool aid and became believers. The end all is the DirecTivo because you have dual tuners, meaning you can record 2 shows and watch a third recorded show. And the HD DirecTivo is slated for April delivery.

Try these links for more "convincing"
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=36
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=7

I have a Sony SAT-T60 that I bought on ebay that was upgraded for 120 hours and lifetime service.

I've also seen deals from places like Circuit City that give you 3 room DirecTV install for free. 2 standard receivers and a DirecTivo box. OR, you can buy a DirecTivo for $99, they seem to be on a fire sale now because of the HD version coming.

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 11:03 PM
I guess I'm pretty much sold on the idea. I just need to get around to getting one. Thanks so much for all the input guys!

In reply to:

meaning you can record 2 shows and watch a third recorded show

Now that's some extreme TV watching. Damn! I WON'T need that kind of power.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 11:19 PM
even if you don't care about simultaneous watching of a recorded show, the dual tuner is AWESOME for things like live sporting events.

When the NBA finals is on at the same time as a Giants game, you can pause one game, flip to the other and watch until a commercial. Flip back to the other and vice versa. Sporting heaven...which'll get even better when the olympics are on this summer.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Tivo - 01/23/04 11:38 PM
Seriously, I watch at most 2-3 shows per week. (If that)

The biggest reason I'd like to get Tivo is for tennis. The coverage of tennis is horrible. It's usually on at strange hours, and jumps from station to station. I'd just set the Tivo to record it all, and then I'd watch it at my leisure.
Posted By: curtis Re: Tivo - 01/24/04 12:01 AM
spiff,

Since you are going to hi-def TV route sometime in the near future, I would hold off on TiVo right now.

The new HD DirecTiVo will be out soon. It will have FOUR tuners....two satellite and two OTA. Functionality wise, it will be like the current DirecTiVo...record two shows at once, etc.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Tivo - 01/24/04 12:20 AM
Does anybody use that Home Media Option thing? Does it work passably well? I was disappointed to learn that DirecTivo does not offer that option.

I mean, on the face of it, being able to stream MP3's and JPEG and other stuff from the PC in your den to the TV in your living room over a wireless network sounds pretty darn cool. But I'd need to see it to believe it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tivo - 01/24/04 12:41 AM
I'd need to see it for less than $50/year. Even then, why bother? I just have the iPod cradle plugged into the receiver.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Tivo - 01/24/04 01:01 AM
No HMO on DirecTivo, haven't seen any plans for it. I agree, you can probably use an iPod for similar functionality.

The best use of HMO is to have it networked. Then you can use the online scheduler to add shows when you are not home. Those will be updated automatically to the DirecTivo.

Also agree if HDTV is your route, then get the HD DirecTivo. Especially if your focus is sports (like tennis) because hopefully it's in HD, as most sports are moving to that.
© Axiom Message Boards