Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/22/04 04:05 PM
Setup:
The basement where I'm installing theatre -- the previous occupant ran a coax cable from the equipment rack to ceiling where projector will be mounted. At first glance I thought it was available for me to use as a pull cable…to feed component cable up to the spot. Nope, the cable appears to be permanent with no movement what so ever.

Question:
Should I begin the job of fishing a fresh component cable over to the spot. (which I’m really lousy at – I end up with more drywall repair work than the normal guy) Or, is there some type of “pigtail” device that can convert the coax to component on both sides?
Or maybe, I’ll just duck-tape the cable to the ceiling – that will impress company and friends… a real Home-Job.

Posted By: getoffb Re: Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/22/04 04:08 PM
Just Duct Tape it up there! Make sure to use the cam variety so no one will be able to see it.
It's the "handy-man's secret weapon"! I still like the standard silver as it adds a futuristic touch to any decor (I currently use it to hide cable runs on my carpet). Classy!
I had a friend who built an entire shelving system out of PVC piping. He thought it was the cat's meow...it was the most hideous looking thing I ever saw. of course, it is all overlooked when you see the coffee table made out of Budweiser cans. Now that's classy.
Now here is "class":

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/fashion.html

Posted By: JohnK Re: Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/22/04 10:11 PM
BB, first on terminology, the component video connection is a set of three coaxial cables similar or identical to the one that's already there. Since they carry three separate signals, there's no way you can carry them over just a single coaxial cable.
Posted By: twopecker Re: Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/22/04 10:34 PM
I am w/ JohnK on this one here, we need more info so we know we're talking about the same thing. If it is just ONE coaxial cable coming out of the ceiling, no way to convert this to component. You can however convert this to composite (yes, i know, its crappy quality, but some components still use it). You would just need to cut off the ends and put the the composite "RCA" connectors on.

you really need a digi cam to start taking pics =)
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/23/04 03:10 AM
Good grief..I wouldn't have believed you without seeing it myself. People are crazy.

-Nick
Posted By: twopecker Re: Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/23/04 04:56 AM
just a note here, when i said "some components still use it" i meant video components...just realized how confusing this sentence was since we were talking about component cables =)
I think I screwed up some terminology... sorry. The cable was your everyday cable tv cable (ala a BNC connector) Please don't waste anymore time on this one... Ima take my lazy #ss down their this weekend and fish the right type of cable... Component.
This place is coming together... The Pannosonic Projector, the dennon DVD, the Yamaha receiver, and of course the axioms are kicking butt. I can't believe how good the 150 is in the center... I'm hearing dialogue in movies I never heard before. The Qs8's are remarkable speakers. They are a bit too far back though - want to hear more from them.

Posted By: fhw Re: Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/24/04 01:14 AM
As someone in the midst of putting in a front projector system as well, the drywall repairs are pretty small potatos. Fishing the cable looks 1000 x better than tape after you repaint.

I wonder why on earth whoever wired the house to begin with would fix the coax cable in place?

If you do go ahead with fishing cable, do yourself a favor and send through a composite or S-video cable as well...it makes things much easier when doing receiver adjustments, etc, as well as giving you the option of video camera hookup, video games, etc.
what projector did you go with?
If you can wait a little, DeCorp has some interesting cable options. I saw TechTV's Fresh Gear show where they were at this last CES and they showed the DeCorp cables. DeCorp had speaker cable (~14 ga), coax, component, and AC cables that were all flat. "Tape" them to the wall, slap some special "spackle" and paint over. The component and AC cables were interesting. It seems like a good option if you really can't get into the walls.

http://www.decorp.com/
Posted By: fhw Re: Receiver ---> Front Projector question - 01/24/04 05:57 PM
Hitachi Home-1. I did an A/B the Sanyo Z-1 and found it a much better buy. I also really liked the flexibility with the zoom lens. Haven't seen the new Epson or the Panny in action, but I'm totally satisfied with my purchase.

Now if I can only get that freakin' custom screen to arrive...
© Axiom Message Boards