Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MikeS SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 06:47 AM
This guy on this one forum thinks that SVS subwoofers are bright and that they have coloration because they use aluminum drivers. He's full of it, isn't he?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 06:52 AM
He's right. SVS subwoofers are widely known for their piercing, high frequency reproduction. They overemphasize the 10-20 kHz range. Some even describe them as "tinny" or "metallic." This is clearly due to their use of metal in their cones, instead of a proper, smooth material like latex.

Yes, he's full of it.
Posted By: MikeS Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 06:57 AM
Hehe, ok thanks. I thought so.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 07:00 AM
'Course, I've only heard on SVS. It was very good. I'm sure someone else will come along and tell you I'm wrong. Such is the nature of the beast. Err, boards... :-)
Posted By: MikeS Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 07:04 AM
Well, it just doesn't make sense that anyone could call 20hz bass, bright. Plus, SVS is considered to be one of the best subwoofer manufacturers for the price. I think that they know what they are doing. If using aluminum drivers was bad, they wouldn't put them in their high end subs like the PB2-plus and B4-Plus.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 07:23 AM
Some people seem to be very biased against the use of aluminum drivers, for some reason. Probably because they imagine the sound of metal being hit (say, by a hammer), rather than vibrating at extremely high speeds under a lot of control.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 07:50 AM
Yup. The main reason aluminum is used is that it is rigid and light.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 03:12 PM
Ken and Peter have nailed it on both counts. The aluminum makes for great driver material due to its physical charaacteristics but the human mind perceives the sound from such a driver to be biased towards "tinny, metallic" etc. based only on preconceptions about metal.
Such is the ludicrousy that drives audio myths.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 04:43 PM
ludicrousy?

Chess, you're slipping.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: SVS subwoofers bright? - 02/02/04 04:49 PM
It's early.
Just wait until the mind warms up and really gets going.
© Axiom Message Boards