Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BigFoot_Lives Question regarding surrounds. - 02/04/04 04:21 PM
This is my first post here, but I have been lurking for quite a while. I think that I almost have the wife convinced that a speaker upgrade is in order and I need advice on the speakers to choose. First my plan is to purchase the M60Ti for fronts and VP-150 for the center. The surrounds are the big question.

The "theater" room is actually the family room with no rear wall (okay there is a wall eventually but it is in the kitchen and an additional 19'-8" away). The effectual room is 265 sq. ft with a constant 9' ceiling (26,250 cubic feet). I am trying to decide whether the QS-4 surrounds would be up to the task or if I would be significantly better off with the QS-8s (or direct radiators due to no back wall for reverb). The surrounds will be placed above the listening position and approximately 1' behind.

Any comments on this scenario are most appreciated.

- BigFoot_Lives

Posted By: grifter Re: Question regarding surrounds. - 02/04/04 05:10 PM
I'll just throw in my 2 cents. I just got the M60's and the VP150, a week ago, and they sound great. I think you'll love them. As far as the surrounds go I go I have the QS8's. I don't know how the 4's sound but I love the 8's and I have a living room without a back wall. It ends in the dining area about 20ft back. The immersion of sound is fantastic. I have a feeling the 4's would get a little overwhelmed by the 60's, but again I've never heard them. Good luck, either way I think you're in for an eye opener. I know I've been spellbound from day one.
Posted By: BigFoot_Lives Re: Question regarding surrounds. - 02/11/04 01:14 PM
Thanks grifter. It sounds as though I will be fine with quad polar speakers for surounds (no need for the direct radiating speakers in your setup) and I think that I will end up with the QS8s (just can't be wondering "what if...".

I am really looking forward to this purchase. Now I just have to convince my wife that the extra wait from the factory outlet is not worth the 10% discount .

- BigFoot_Lives
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Question regarding surrounds. - 02/11/04 04:54 PM
I'm going to side with your wife on that one. Get them from the outlet. Why throw $160+ away? Would you go to the ATM, withdraw $160 and throw it in the trash as you walked away? Axiom's factory outlet models are usually spotless.
© Axiom Message Boards