Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ringmir Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 12:42 AM
I am looking for excuses to spend some of that magical "tax return" money. That said, can I get people's input on receivers between $700 and $1k?

To start things off, maybe thoughts on:
Denon AVR3803
Onkyo TX-NR801
Yamaha RX-V1400
H/K AVR7200

I have m60s, vp150 and qs8s in a 12' x 15' room set up lengthwise (couch at ~10') My sub is an AudioSource SW-15 which is adaquate for home theater, although rather boomy. (I plan to replace it eventually, but the sub is not the point here.) My current receiver is a Kenwood VR-507 and I know it can't really send the power it claims it does to every channel simultaneously. I feel like I'm doing my axioms an injustice. They sound great, but as I turn them up there's a point where I can feel they are pleading for more juice...
Posted By: TweedleyD Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 01:08 AM
GO with the H/K 7200 as it was once close to 2 grand an u can get it for under $800 now i have the 525 an would love to upgrade but oh well the 525 is pretty sweet an sounds great
Posted By: JohnK Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 01:13 AM
Ring, since I do taxation, I first have to tweak you a bit for giving the federal government an interest-free loan by not doing your W-4 more accurately. On the receiver power, don't worry about driving all channels simultaneously at full power for any extended time period; that happens in the testing labs, but not on music. I don't know if your M60s really need more juice, but if you get a new receiver two excellent choices in your price range which both have automatic room and speaker equalization are the Pioneer 55TXi and Yamaha 2400.
Posted By: ringmir Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 01:26 AM
In response to the interest free loan business. I'm just out of college, so I have half a year's income at my curent salary which was taxed as if it I were making it all year. I don't expect this to occur in the future.

I guess I should ammend my question because I know there have been some recent discussions here regarding similar receivers. I don't know that I would need the auto-calibration. I am comfortable with taking the time to set it up manually until I am content that it sounds good. That in mind, do people have a prefernece based on the other features of these receivers?

I guess the other thing is, I know that eventually I want to go the way of seperates, but I feel like taking a long lasting step in that direction will run me more like $2k. Should I just stick it out for another year or two with my Kenwood and then go that route?

Posted By: BigWill Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 01:42 AM
If you feel like you need more power, then you could do as 2x6 has done - which is to add more amplifiers to your current system using refurbed 2 channel receivers. Using one of those (which are apparently available quite cheap) to power your surrounds would certainly free up your Kenwood for the front 3 channels.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 03:26 AM
I've got to weigh in with the Denon 3803. Does video upconversion and the Pure direct stereo must be heard to be believed. Wonderful unit and can be used as a pre/pro wit the opportunity to add amplifier(s) later. It's special.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 08:28 AM
So Pure Direct Stereo sounds like all the other receivers, right?

Sorry, it's just been so quiet around here lately...
Posted By: joema Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 01:55 PM
I have an RX-V1400. It's very good but IMO if you're into (or seriously considering) multichannel SACD or DVD-A music, then the H/K AVR-7200 is probably the best, followed by the Denon AVR-3803. The H/K has bass management on the 6-channel analog inputs, plus adjustable crossover for each speaker. The Denon doesn't have that but has +5, 10 and 15db bass boost on the subwoofer input, which is needed due to the mismatch in bass levels between SACD, DVD and DVD-A.

If you do mainly HT, some of these features are still nice but less compelling.

OTOH if you're mainly concerned with a theoretical power deficiency in your VR-507 (rated at 100w), you may not need a new receiver. First verify you've configured all your speakers as "small". This will unload the receiver by using your sub's built-in 200 watt amp. Bass takes by far the most power. Freed from this your receiver should easily be able to drive the efficient Axiom speakers. If you've already done that, I can't imagine you have a power deficiency.
Posted By: ringmir Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 02:22 PM
Ok so at this point I'm thinking I will hang onto my Kenwood for a while. I can't set all my speakers to "small" but I can set them all to "normal" which I imagine is equivalent, and had already done for the reason you mentioned. The point at which I feel the speakers want more power is mind-numbingly loud anyway so it's probably better that I don't worry about it for now. (Although a new receiver would free up this one to set up with my old speakers in my bedroom.)
Posted By: Misfit_Toy Re: Receiver Thoughts? - 03/11/04 03:09 PM
You struggle with that which we all struggle with...upgraditus! I was in the same boat as you with my Sony, not sure weather to keep or upgrade...but then it blew up. I mean literally it started sparking and smoking and well...I'm receiver shopping.
I'm sure that you'll be fine either way (staying or upgrading). It's always fun to make purchases. I was saving up for seperates, but now I'm just looking into a standalone receiver because I want to get up and running faster. But if I were in your shoes...and you wanted a great deal of power and performance I'd save up my money and go with where I was headed. The Outlaw 950/7100 combo for $1700 (after you buy the interconnects). Or if you're really wanting an upgrade you can go the 950/755 or 950/770 route for twice the wattage (100w per channel to 200w per channel), but you'll be looking at a good jump in price. You can check them out here www.outlawaudio.com. Good luck
© Axiom Message Boards