Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tran Choice - 02/15/02 12:59 AM
I am going to buy a pair of the Qs-4 for my rear channel. I have a 6.1 system and my delima is do I purchase a third QS-4 or an M2 as my rear center. After having a set of Bipolars for the rears and hearing the big difference I would never go back to monopole. Appreciate any opinions. Thanks

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Choice - 02/15/02 10:02 PM
usually the rear center channel in a 6.1 system is a monopole speaker because while the side multipole speakers provide ambience and increase the sweet spot, the rear center reinforces the directionality of rear sound effects, especially in home theater (bullets whizzing by, planes flying by)

in a 7.1 system, you'd have two rear monopoles

Posted By: alan Re: Choice - 02/15/02 10:55 PM
Hello,

While in theory using a monopole speaker in the rear for a 6.1-channel system is accurate, it's my experience that a third identical quadpolar speaker at the rear will enhance the soundfield without sacrificing the directional effects when called for. The multipole radiators in a surround role are especially effective in normal-sized domestic living rooms, and the tonal balance between the two surrounds and the rear speaker will thus be exact, something that's always desirable.

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert
© Axiom Message Boards