Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dr_Claw Spealer "tuning" - 02/16/02 01:20 AM
I would like to know the best and cheapest way to "tune" and get the best sound of my set-up at home ? I use it 65% of the time for music and the rest for movies.

There is a lot of stuff out there and I really don't know what to use ...
Any help will be appreciated :)

Here is my current set up:
Yamaha RX-V596 (A/V)
Yamaha CDC-675 (5CD)
JVC XV-S40 (DVD)
JVC HR-VP58U (VCR)
Axiom M50Ti (Main)
Axiom CTC-20 (Center)
Axiom QS-4 (Rear)
D-Box David 302 (Sub)

Patrick Sansoucy
Startup audiophile
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Spealer "tuning" - 02/16/02 04:20 PM
Since you have purchased the equipment, the question of tuning is rather vague. Can you elaborate?

Speaker placement is one area that can improve or cause poor sound. You can start with that. What is it you think you are missing? Your system is balanced, ie - nothing is vastly better or dramatically worse than the other pieces.

Regards,

BBIBH
Posted By: Dr_Claw Re: Spealer "tuning" - 02/16/02 11:51 PM
My question is more like ajusting volume, balance and all. To be able to best replicate the recording. I was told to get a sound pressure meter gadget or use the stuff they have on some DVD's but this is really not enough for my taste. I want more info on the how to's and the material used ...

And will I see a big benefit in doing this even if my stuff is really not top of the line audio equipement.

Patrick Sansoucy
Startup audiophile
Posted By: duff Re: Spealer "tuning" - 02/17/02 03:00 AM
what size room do you have? where are your main speakers in this room? how far from back wall , side wall, each other, and you? so far i've found speaker placement the easiest and one of the most important ways to tune your system.

Posted By: BBIBH Re: Spealer "tuning" - 02/17/02 06:29 PM
Yes, as I mentioned in my earlier post, you seem to want something, but can't define what.

You mentioned "ajusting volume, balance and all. To be able to best replicate the recording" I am not sure what this means???? Volume is in your control, as is balance. How can you replicate the levels of the recording when made, if you were not there?

The key element is this: when you are listening to a movie, is it enjoyable? Do you like it? I honestly don't understand what you are trying to achieve.........

As both duff and I have pointed out, speaker placement can adjust the sound, but only if that is what you are dissatisfied with.

Regards,

BBIBH
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spealer "tuning" - 02/21/02 11:37 PM
You're talking about buying a Radio Shack analog SPL meter and calibrating you surround sound setup using either AVIA or Video Essentials on DVD, right? Well, if not, and you haven't, do! Not to go off base in this thread, but I've been reading alot of posts here and my take is more writers here are better at discussing sound rather than pure HT tweaks.

Go to www.hometheaterforum.com and get ready to be sucked into the black hole that is "the hobby."

Posted By: Dr_Claw Re: Spealer "tuning" - 02/27/02 05:55 PM
That's exactly what I am talking about, finally, someone that can shed some light on all of this ...
So with that in mind, can somebody go in further details of what as been mentionned here ???

I was starting to go nuts over this !

Patrick Sansoucy
Startup audiophile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spealer "tuning" - 03/02/02 12:24 AM
To get you started : http://www.audioholics.com/HTtip1.htm

© Axiom Message Boards