Axiom Home Page
Posted By: retraceoj Calibrate Subwoofer HELP!!! - 04/04/04 05:48 PM
Anyone know a good way to Calibrate the subwoofer, I have a SVS PC + and Digital Video Essentials sub test is off, its is documented at there web site, If I use that you can barely hear the sub and my receiver does not have test tones for the subwoofer, I heard the AVIA is good but really dont want to spend 40 bucks just to setup the sub, any help would be appreciated
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Calibrate Subwoofer HELP!!! - 04/04/04 06:15 PM
do you have an SPL meter? Get one from Radio Shack if you don't.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Calibrate Subwoofer HELP!!! - 04/04/04 06:19 PM
Actually, you might want to be thinking in terms of calibrating all of you speakers, not just your sub. Also, I have found that I do this on a somewhat regular basis as we move things (speaker and/or furniture) around and I fool around with the speaker settings.

I like the AVIA disk because it calibrates by having the sub involved in each channel. Not necessary to do the sub separately.
Posted By: retraceoj Re: Calibrate Subwoofer HELP!!! - 04/04/04 10:09 PM
yea I should of mentioned it, I do have the Rat shack meter and I have all of my speakers calibrated to 75 but the problem is the irrant test tone for the sub in video essentials, If I set the sub to 75 you can not even hear it at all unless I have the volume at reference level.
What I did for the mean time was during a good action seen in LOTR I played for about 2 minutes with the sub off at a pretty high volume and noted the highest DB reading, I then played the same scene with the sub on and adjusted it so that the highest DB reading during the same scene at the same volumen was just 2 db higher.
Posted By: Tom Re: Calibrate Subwoofer HELP!!! - 04/05/04 02:09 AM
I have in my possession right now DVE and Sound & Vision home theatre tune up (a few of us at work consolidated our home theatre set up wares into a kit) I used the S&V first and then tried the DVE, all the seperate speakers were exactly the same except the sub and it was suggesting I lower the sub 10db. So, I would recommend the cheaper S&V (around $15). S&V gave the same results (at least with my arrangement) from an individual speaker perspective and is also so much more user friendly.

I checked DVE's website but did not see the error you said was documented, maybe you can point me to the webpage, I would be interested in reading what they say about this and also thanks for the heads up on this!
Posted By: retraceoj Re: Calibrate Subwoofer HELP!!! - 04/05/04 04:57 AM
Heres the informations I got from SVS when I asked them about the problem I was having

here has been a lot of internet chatter about the new DVE disc not working
correctly for bass calibration. They even discuss this at the DVE site...

http://www.videoessentials.com/DVEQ&A.htm

© Axiom Message Boards