Axiom Home Page
Posted By: zathras Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 05:53 AM
Hi all. I've just finished my DIY sub inspired by Axiom's anti-standing wave cabinets, and taken to a whole other crazy level. Please check out these two links and tell me what you think.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=2152042#post2152042
[Hint: wait for the whole page to load, so you don't have to read the extraneous stuff at the beginning]

http://bhavesh.0catch.com/DIY%20sub.htm

Cheers.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 06:37 AM
NICE!

I noticed that you had two pairs of speaker terminals on it. Are you biamping it?
Posted By: zathras Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 06:37 AM
For more info about the driver:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-185&ctab=4#Tabs
Posted By: zathras Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 06:46 AM
Thanks pmbuko:)
Its a dual voice coil sub driver. So if you have a spare/old stereo amp, you can power each of the 8 Ohm voice coils with one of the stereo channels on your amp. Theres no need to buy anything else to power it.
That helps when your on a tight budget and saving up for a pair of M22's!

The Dayton DVC I used, is a clone of the Adire Audio Shiva driver, which has been compared favourably to the entry level SVS driver, just FYI.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 06:59 AM
BH, congratulations, Grond is a very unique and attractive sub indeed. Also we're glad to hear that you're enjoying strong bass. Yes, that Parts Express driver is said to be excellent at a reasonable price.
Posted By: zathras Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 07:33 AM
Thanks JohnK. Wow, this board really feels a lot friendlier than the HTF. I think if I ever make a second sub, I'll try and get a laminate to match my existing Light Maple M22.
Posted By: Type_E Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 01:45 PM
then why not just use sonotubs like many others used in hometheaterforum?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 03:19 PM
That's pretty nifty zathras.
I wish i had the time to tinker in such ways.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/16/04 03:32 PM
Wow! That is very impressive craftsmanship! Clearly creative and beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/17/04 01:39 PM
Your sub looks most impressive. You gentlemen did a fine job.

Aren't you worried about the porcelain figurine taking a dive? Does it "dance" when the sub is on?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/17/04 08:35 PM
Sigh.... I wish I had the skills to do this kind of thing. Very well done!!!
Posted By: INANE Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/19/04 12:57 AM
Pretty nifty... I'm designing and building my subs as well, to go with my to be purchased hopefully soon Axioms.

=)
Posted By: zathras Re: Axiom inspired DIY sub - 04/19/04 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies people. Axiomites really are the friendliest folk on the web!

Unfortunately, I can only take credit for the design, not the actual woodworking, as mentioned in my post on the HTF.
I have the plans and 3D model on AutoCAD if anyone's interested.

I don't think I've seen any of the ornaments bounce on the top surface. But then I am using a crummy old Sony mini stereo to power the sub until I find a decent 2 channel amp, and people have warned me that the Sony may be attenuating some of the output.
© Axiom Message Boards