Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Chris QS8 Stand - 04/23/04 05:22 PM
I have been researching Axioms for a while now and a couple weeks ago I remember seeing a PIC of someone who had their QS8's on a stand, but raised a couple inches with some sort of plumbing/tubing. Does anyone remember this? For now, I'll have to put my rears on stands too and would like to know what that was and where to get it.

Thanks

Posted By: steveo3818 Re: QS8 Stand - 04/23/04 09:47 PM
I put my QS8's on stands and the bottom driver's are un-obstructed. I used Omni-mount adjustable stands. On the back of the QS8 there are small bolts just above the binding posts. Well this bolt will fit through the hole in the mounting bracket and will more than secure the speaker to the stand. They are rated for 10lbs but 11lbs is not a problem. I found 'em at best buy for about $70.

-Steveo

Posted By: Chris Re: QS8 Stand - 04/24/04 01:17 AM
Thanks but I already have stands so I really want to re-find the person who used this creative idea of lifting the speaker off the stand a couple inches to let the bottom port breathe.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: QS8 Stand - 04/24/04 01:24 AM
Chris, you can also use hockey pucks stacked to the height you desire.
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8 Stand - 04/24/04 01:44 AM
Chris,

I think their were 2 guys that had their QS8s propped up on some plumbing fixtures. One is Ray3. Maybe he'll chime in here sometime soon. If he doesn't, you might send him a personal message (PM).
Posted By: Ray3 Re: QS8 Stand - 04/24/04 03:49 AM
Chris,
I think I am the guy you are looking for. Here are the pictures of my QS8s . I described the things the Qs are sittting as donuts. They are actually plumbing couplings I got in the plumbing department of a Home Depot like store. At 2 1/2 " high, they provide plenty of breathing room and they are very substantial; more than enough to suppor the speakers.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Ray
Posted By: Chris Re: QS8 Stand - 04/24/04 01:38 PM
Perfect!!! Thanks.

Was still debating over the M22's and the M60's...talked it over w/ the wife and she WANTS me to spend twice as much to get the 60's so no doubts creep in later....Also, she WANTS me to spend more for the QS8's for the same reason. Also left the color decision up to her, she wants black (just as I did)....yup...I got a keeper in her!!!!!! (sure there are more Longaberger basket purchases coming soon!!!!!

Thanks for all the help!!!
Posted By: Chris Re: QS8 Stand - 05/22/04 02:12 AM
Ray
I just picked up those couplings. I don't have my speakers ordered yet, but have another question. My speaker stand at the top is very small. I have the coupling holding up my current speakers and I only have 3" in between the two couplings. Is that enough space between them for the QS8 bottom woofer? It looks like on your picture, your couplings are somewhat underneath the woofer, is that true? Or are yours abel to be spaced out enough where the couping isn't underneath the woofer at all? And if yours ISN'T underneath the woofer, do you think it will affect my sounds if a little is underneath it?

Thanks again
Chris

Posted By: Ray3 Re: QS8 Stand - 05/23/04 01:14 AM
Chris, I was fortunate to have shelves large enough to spread the couplings out a bit. I made sure to to spread them far enough apart tp stay on the outside of the woofer diameter. You may want to check to make sure the woofer is not affected by the couplings.
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8 Stand - 05/23/04 03:27 AM
Ray, I always wondered why you didn't just cut a nice hole in the shelf and place the QS8 over the hole? I'm assuming there is a logical reason why you didn't, I just can't think what it might be.
Posted By: Chris Re: QS8 Stand - 05/23/04 04:10 AM
Thanks Ray. In looking at the QS8's dimensions, they are 11" wide. SO, if the woofer is 5", then that leaves " on each side for the couplings to not obstruct the woofer. Is my thinking correct? My stand top is 9" wide...so if the woofer is 5", then that leaves me w/ 4" to work w/, two 2" couplings "SHOULD" fit....Again, am I thinking correctly?

Posted By: Ray3 Re: QS8 Stand - 05/23/04 05:12 PM
Jack, there were a couple of issues with cutting a hole on the shelf. First, the configuration of the shelf (odd shape) makes that a little dicey. I may try it at some point. The second point was some input from Alan. He felt that an inch or two of clearance was sufficient to let the bottom woofer breathe. At 2 1/2 ", the couplings provide enough room and the speakers sound great.

Chris, your thought process is correct. However, I'd hate to tell you that a 9" surface is sufficient. My shelf is 13" wide, but I have the speakers about 3" away from the corner. One coupling hangs over the edge by 1".. The net is that I think 11" may be the minimum width you want to work with and a bit more might be better. 9" is a little tight.

If your stands are stable and you can pour some sand or shot into the base, there may be another way to go. Have you considered making a 1" thick shelf and attaching it to the top of the stands? You can make the shelf large enough to overhang the edge of the stand and attach it with a couple of screws. That gives you some flexibility.
Posted By: Hawkson101 Re: QS8 Stand - 05/24/04 01:08 AM
Don't get the black m60s(hope its not too late). With the black finish, the speakers tend to look almost plasiticy. They look like the kind of speakers you get at BBuy/CCity. I originally got black m22s and sent them back for white m60s.

Just my opinion
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8 Stand - 05/24/04 01:17 AM
I have black M60s. I don't feel they look "plasticy" (sic) at all. I think they look great. Don't get the "white" ones. You get ready to watch a good movie, you turn down the lights, and there are these two bright barber poles distracting you.

Just my opinion.
© Axiom Message Boards