Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BigWill Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 03:15 AM
God I love that show. I'm thinking I like it better than "Sopranos". Vulgar, violent and nasty - just what every guy is looking for, right?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 03:21 AM
i love being the first guy to get to respond to a question.

answer-NO.. i dont have HBO.. i think the $50 bucks i pay for regular cable service is a rip-off already. i aint gonna give them no more money.. seriously thinkin about going to DirecTV.

bigjohn
have never watch deadwood.

my cable bill is 80. It hurts bad every month... I'm trying to put a plan together to migrate to another solution. Problem I have is HDTV. it's true what they say, you start watching programming just because its HDTV. the cable company charges me 9 bucks extra each month for each HiDef box. Ouch!
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 05:01 AM
BigWill:

I watch Deadwood, and I love it too, awsome show!

BigJohn:

I couldn't agree with you more about cable. Cox just raised their rates again, and I've had all I'm going to put up with from that bloody company. I'm checking into switching over to satellite as well. Not sure who I'll end up going with though, I just know that cable through cox will be history soon.

Sutter Cane
Posted By: Tufelhundin Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 05:48 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah....try having one english speaking channel. The good part is I havent seen a commercial in 2 years. But if I want to see a football game I have to stay up all night the late night games in the States usually end over here aroung 6 am. The thought of being able to change channels and see different shows..MMmmmmm ignorance is bliss..no?

Semper Fi
Posted By: curtis Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 06:13 AM
Also watch Deadwood...but I am a week behind. Thank goodness for TiVo!!
Posted By: Raindance Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 08:31 AM
My parents live in Deadwood (the real town it's based on). And it's exactly like the show!
Posted By: twodan19 Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 12:55 PM
actually one of the few shows adelphia cable does show in HD and 5.1. looks and sounds great. my wife goes to bed when it comes on.
dan
Posted By: alan Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 01:01 PM
Hi all,

I kinda like Deadwood--the look of it, the nastiness and the vulgarity, although the latter is a bit over the top and one of the epithets (a common one) didn't in fact come into regular usage until after the first World War. Calamity Jane is something else!! Talk about a potty mouth. . .

The story line meanders a lot (not all that compelling) and why did they kill off Wild Bill Hickock? Strong character, etc.

But I usually tune in. Yes, cable is one big drag, but being in a dense urban location, I have no alternative, unless I move out to the country and put up a big HDTV yagi antenna on a mast. If you get a good signal, over the air broadcast HDTV can be stunning. I resisted HBO for a couple of years, then went for it. It has been worth it for The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Six Feet Under.

Regards,
Posted By: BigWill Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 04:36 PM
Alright! I'm glad I'm not the only one that watches that show. Would hate to see it cancelled due to lack of viewership.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 07:53 PM
I watch it as much as I can and I love it!
Posted By: BigWill Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 08:58 PM
I tape it each week - it airs past my new-daddy bedtime.

"Band of Brothers" was pretty awesome, too - worth the $10 a month HBO costs all by itself.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 09:27 PM
i got a buddy who has the whole 'band of brothers' set on dvd.. i have never seen any of them(never had HBO), so once i get the HT set up, i am gonna borrow the collection, and try and watch at least one a night..

everyone says they are really good.

bigjohn
Posted By: squirrelyz Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 09:32 PM
bigjohn -

my roomie bought the BoB set and we watched an episode a night after I got the HT set-up...it was fantastic. Even without the HT, this was a great mini-series. Something worth owning.

^billy
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 09:33 PM
That series is amazing. You'll have a hard time watching just one a night. (speaking from experience)

And then you'll be pissed there aren't any more episodes when it's over.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 09:41 PM
Totally agree - BoB was one of the best mini-series that I ever saw. Very touching, lots of action. Stylistically gorgeous. From what I understand - limited at best - it was pretty accurate.

And the collest part of all - the series,w hile following the same characters throughout, focuses each episode on a different aspect of the war - whether it was the guys on the front lines, the rookies, the nurses, the officers, etc.... and they had more than one director involved, which gave the series multiple messages within multiple viewpoints, all under the careful eye of Spielberg and Hanks, both self-proclaimed WWII nuts/buffs.

Really great stuff. In many ways, better than Private Ryan, on the whole, and better than most movies on a per episode basis.

Oh, and the DVDs come in this truly righteous packaging that folds out like artillary rounds. It's a nice addition to your collection.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/06/04 11:50 PM
BoB is a great series. I have, on two occasions, sat down on a cold, snowy weekend day and watched the whole thing from start to finish. They did a great job. I was surprised to find out that Damian Lewis, who plays th emain character, is English.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/07/04 12:00 AM
I'll wholeheartedly agree, BoB is one of the most accurate, well done war movies/series ever. The extras were entertaining too, I especially enjoyed the taping Livingston did during boot camp!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/07/04 03:23 AM
Yeah, that guy from Office Space was pretty cool...
Posted By: KC_Mike Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/07/04 05:18 AM
Ya, I have watched it. It's like an eternal re-run. It's the same thing every episode. I quit watching.
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/07/04 05:38 AM
I loved the last episode of BoB, the crew playing baseball and we get to see what happened to the men after the war.....amazing series abt some really amazing lives......

BTW, any thoughts on the new sopranos season, the violence and vulgarity is quiet subdued and the build up and the twists are quiet well done.....

Posted By: alan Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/07/04 02:28 PM
Hi,

BoB series was first-rate. Sopranos is beginning to run out of steam but still I never miss it. The good episodes are better than anything else on television, as are the best episodes of Six Feet Under (SFU?...).

Regards,
Posted By: BigWill Re: Anybody watching "Deadwood" on HBO? - 05/07/04 05:21 PM
KC Mike, I'm assuming you're talking about "Deadwood". There doesn't seem to be much in the way of "crisis/conflict/resolution" on a per episode basis. Each episode seems to be more of a piece to a larger puzzle than a stand alone TV show. Has kind of an existential feel to it.
Speaking of existentialism, I was finally able to see "Lost in Translation" the other night. Funny as heck.
© Axiom Message Boards