Axiom Home Page
Posted By: James_T Pictures - 05/15/04 03:12 AM
In the spirit of sharing (and I got a new digital camera today that I wanted to play with) here are a few pictures of my setup. My apologies for the different sizes.
Photobucket resizes and I don't care enough to play much in photoshop.
The place is a bit messy, but I don't care enough to clean it up (unless you are a geeky attractive woman then just give me a few minutes notice).

The first has no flash:

Surrounds above my seats (I really need to get a couch or love seat, or at least matching furniture!

In case the photos don't make it obvious, yes I am single

jr
Posted By: ringmir Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 03:36 AM
Love the books on the stands, it looks like a lot of thought went into choosing similarly sized books for each stack. And of course.....evil dead!
Posted By: James_T Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 03:59 AM
Hehe yeah, thanks for complimenting my getto speaker stand mod. It will only cost you $1500 and I guarantee you will hear higher highs and lower lows. The properties of bound rag paper help to enhance lower frequencies to give you 'tighter base'....
I wanted to see if I'd prefer higher stands and it turns out I do. Yet, I keep blowing my entertainment budget on other things. I guess if I had an SO complaining of the ugliness I'd reprioritize.

jr
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 04:49 AM
might also sound better if you put a couple books on top of the speakers, but flush with the front. dampens cabinet vibrations...... maybe....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 06:27 AM
Hmmmm...

Umberto Eco, Personal Finance, Investing, O Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack, a Carpenters album. You're all over the place, man!
Posted By: James_T Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 05:04 PM
Hehe. I'm either an Renaissance Man or have some serious ADHD and can't stick to one topic for long. I try to foster the the Renaissance idea. Oh and all the thick books are Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

jr
Posted By: BigWill Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 06:06 PM
You sure you're single? I thought the Carpenters was chick music! Just kidding. Looks great. How do you like the sound?
Posted By: snippy Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 06:58 PM
I have the same IKEA TV stand! I am surprised you did not get the maple speakers with tan grills like I did. It matches the wood on the TV stand perfectly. I also have the two giant DVD racks that natch the TV stand. Also, that TV stand is sturdy, I have a 220 lb HDTV on top of mine, and it has lasted there for over 2 years.
Posted By: curtis Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 07:32 PM
I had the same rack too....it seems to be pretty popular.

Mine lasted a year and a half and stated sagging....I had too much on it and in it. It was a good reason to upgrade.
Posted By: James_T Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 09:43 PM
I love the sound!
Carpenters might be chick music, but so is Melissa Ethridge, Sara McLaughlin, The Indigo Girls, and all the other stuff you find in Lilith Fair. Either I have broad tastes or I'm a lesbian/angsty middle class white girl on the inside and a balding 30 something white guy on the outside .

The speakers came prior to the tv stand and I could not find one that matched them and did not cost hundreds of dollars so I got one I had already put together for a different friend. It's handy having an ikea 20 minutes away by car.

jr
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 09:51 PM
Don't let 'em get to you James. Whether or not one likes The Carpenter's music, the fact is, Karen Carpenter had a voice for the ages. It breaks my heart to think of all the wonderful music we lost with her death. She was something special!
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 10:19 PM
Didn't think much of Karen's diet but "I'll Say Goodbye To Love" was a tremendous song.

THe easy listening stations would always fade the end out as soon as Tony Peluso's guitar solo would start. That was such a strange, but appropriate, ending for that song.

Posted By: James_T Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 11:18 PM
Ajax you nailed it on the head! I think I could listen to recordings of her reading grammar rules and I'd still like it.
Plus, my mom loved them so I grew up hearing them all the time.

jr
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures - 05/15/04 11:32 PM
In reply to:

"Plus, my mom loved them so I grew up hearing them all the time."

Oh you young whippersnapper! Now I REALLY feel like the old goat I am. Karen was 5 years younger than I. I was in my 20s when they put out their first successful album.

When I hear her sing I run through the gamut of emotions from anger with her for killing herself, through terrible sandness for our loss, to absolute awe at her voice and vocal ability. So special.

I don't mean to minimize Richard's contribution. He was/is very talented also.
Posted By: James_T Re: Pictures - 05/16/04 12:23 AM
Haha. Sorry to toss that in there. Yes, I'm only 32 so the Carpenters are very much part of my childhood or before.

jr
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pictures - 05/16/04 12:57 AM
So do all people born AFTER the moon landing count as a young whippersnappers?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures - 05/16/04 01:00 AM
ABSOLUTELY! In fact anybody born after JFK's assassination is a whippersnapper!
Posted By: player8 Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 04:28 AM
What about born the same day as JFK's assasination? My dad was born on that day but I don't know the exact time...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 04:40 AM
Oh he's still a whippersnapper. WAIT A MINUTE! Your FATHER was born on November 22, 1963? That makes you a whippersnapper's whippersnapper. I was in college on that day. OY! I'm old.
Posted By: player8 Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 05:17 AM
I guess you're right.
Posted By: littleb Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 05:56 AM
I was in the 4th grade when JFK was assassinated. Does that make me whipper? Did they have colleges in 1963?
Posted By: littleb Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 06:05 AM
In the early 70s I was living in an area where I was stuck listening to a couple of local AM stations for music. They played the same stuff over and over which consisted of The Carpenters, Helen Reddy, Elton John and Alice Cooper. I acquired a real disdain for the first three. To this day I don't think I could force myself to listen to a Carpenters album. I must admit though, that, if I was on a desert island and had a choice between Britney Spears, Kid Rock, Linkin Park and the Carpenters I'd choose The Capenters.
Posted By: Tufelhundin Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 06:09 AM
Not a fan of her at all but if I was on this mysterious island I would take Britney....wait, are we talking about music?

Semper Fi
Posted By: littleb Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 07:43 AM
But, you'd start thinking to yourself that Justin had been here and it would ruin it for you.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 07:50 AM
I was going to write something in that vein, but 'm glad I didn't. Your response is much better than mine would have been.
Posted By: Tufelhundin Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 08:12 AM
That was good! Or should I say the thought was horrible.

Semper Fi
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 10:39 AM
Go to your room, Bruce!
Posted By: littleb Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 02:40 PM
Sorry, Dad
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures - 05/17/04 02:55 PM
Well, at least he didn't say "Sorry Grandpa." We're making progress here.
© Axiom Message Boards