Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tizeye Axiom vs all others - 05/27/04 01:09 PM
Most other premium speaker companies have multiple lines. When comparing Axiom, which lines of B&W, Paradigm, Mission, Boston (to name a few) does Axiom best compare against? Basically, which ones are their actual competitor vs an unfair comparison.

Consider the following:

As I am in the process of upgrading my 30 y/o set (JVC, EPI 100, stereo only) just purchsed the Yamaha RSV750. Will run the EPI's in the interim as I look for HT that is solid for both music and movies. That virtually rules out HTiB, but will design around one company.

Loved B&W 602's but Paradigm's equaled/surpassed the sound at a little better value as could do a side-by-side at the same dealer. Then I see positive reviews on Axiom, with the obvious handicap of unable to audition (but a 30 day return option). In-home audition is far preferred to the controlled store anyway (Bose stores being the extreme example - no Bose wasn't on my short list, but I live in the land of outlet malls and couldn't resist walking in their store).

I keep reading the Axioms provide better "value" than premium brand "X". When I looked online, prices didn't seem any better than Paradigm MSRP (figure negotiated discount vs. no shipping/sales tax will offset each other.) On prices, I was comparing vs. Paradigm's Performance line (Atoms, Titans etc). To obtain that "value" is it better to compare Axiom against Paradigm's higher lines? Monitor Series? Studio Series?

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom vs all others - 05/27/04 03:39 PM
People generally compare Axiom's to Paradigm's Studio line. The Axiom M60s are often compared to B&W's 700 series. If you live near someone with Axioms, most likely they will be happy to do an audition for you. Check out the top thread in the Questions & Comments forum.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Axiom vs all others - 05/27/04 03:49 PM
tizeye,
There are no 'unfair comparisons' in audio except by those who believe $$=quality.

The Axioms have been compared to Monitor Audio Silvers, B&W 700 series and i believe the Paradigm Studio series (don't quote me on that last one), at least in regards to similar sound characteristics.
There are many speakers that are excellent quality builds. Here is a link to a review of some that i heard recently while a friend was shopping for speakers.

Ultimately you have to decide for yourself what type of sound appeals to you and at what cost.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom vs all others - 05/27/04 04:41 PM
I go out and listen to speakers all the time just for fun, and have found the B&W 703 towers to sound the most similar to my M60's. The B&W's are $3000/pair, vs the $800/pair M60ti's.

Seems crazy but it's true.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Axiom vs all others - 05/27/04 11:13 PM
I have the same experience as spiff. Of everything I auditioned, the B&W 703s were the closest to the M60s, but much more expensive.
© Axiom Message Boards