Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Monstermile Should I upgrade to the VP150??? - 06/12/04 03:17 PM
Ever since I bought the M22/VP100/QS4 combo I have wondered if I should have got the VP150. It was the only purchase that I was not 100% sure of. The others I am happy with. Well I talked to Brent and I can do an upgrade. I will take a little loss on the VP100 though. Should I go for it. Am I really going to notice much of a difference between the two??
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Should I upgrade to the VP150??? - 06/12/04 04:32 PM
You only need to ask yourself a couple of quick questions.

Does dialog sound loud enough, clear enough, and is it properly "anchored" to the screen? Can I hear it sufficiently from every seating position? If you answer "yes" to everything, then I say no.

I have a VP150 and to be honest, 80% of the time, it is not being used. The 20% when I'm using it for HT, I run it at -2dB below the fronts. I have only 2 good viewing positions, so I often wonder is a VP100 would have been OK. My guess is that it would have worked fine. On the ocassions that I play 5 channel music, it blends in so well that I really can't judge it by itself. The whole "wall" of music sounds great, though.

Unless you have a problem you can hear, I would stand pat.
Posted By: MykeW Re: Should I upgrade to the VP150??? - 06/12/04 06:27 PM
Totally agree with Michael A.

From what I've read the VP100 is a great performer and the difference between the two is much like between the M60 and M80. M60= M80 except louder. ie: M80 = great sound for large rooms.

IF you have a large room and notice something lacking then go for it; otherwise, you're already in Music Nirvana

Mike
Posted By: Monstermile Re: Should I upgrade to the VP150??? - 06/12/04 09:18 PM
I have a smaller room but find that the dialog is a little lacking. I have everything calibrated correctly and even bumped the the center up a few db's to compensate for what I thought it was lacking. Still seems a little less than stellar.

And mine is used probably 80% of the time. I have gotten used to listening to music on PLII.
Posted By: MykeW Re: Should I upgrade to the VP150??? - 06/13/04 02:08 AM
YOu could try playing a bit with placement but it sounds like the VP150 may help in your case, particularily if the VP100 is lacking when outside the optimal listening position, as Alan/ others has said the VP150 has better dispersion characteristics: however, for a small room I would have thought the VP100 would be just fine.

Another possibility is a single M22... ( based simply on my bias )

Good luck Mike
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Should I upgrade to the VP150??? - 06/13/04 12:00 PM
Sounds like you might need to upgrade, then.

I'm only 50 or so miles away. Toss that VP100 in a backpack, and take that new bike for a ride down to my place. We'll do a little A/B on the 100 and 150.
Posted By: Monstermile Re: Should I upgrade to the VP150??? - 06/13/04 10:21 PM
That might not be a bad idea Michael. I have about a month to decide. Where are you at again???
© Axiom Message Boards