Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 05:06 PM
i currently have the epic 60 system, and i have been thinking of using the vp150 that i currently have as my rear center, and my 2 M60's as my center... and getting a pair of M80's for front surrounds..... anyone else done anything like this.... i remember reading a review on some 20k+ speakers where they had a configuration simmilar to that... using 2 towers as the center channel...
Posted By: Haoleb Re: i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 05:31 PM
I dunno about using two m60's as a center. why not just use one. Have you thought about how you would even wire it up.
Posted By: MykeW Re: i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 06:21 PM
Certainly having full speakers all around for DVDA or SACD is a common practise, but not two towers as centres. I'm not sure using the M60 togethor as a centre would be the best use of them. For DVDA/SACD I think they'd be better used for surrounds leaving the V150 as the centre, and the Q's ( if you have them ) as rear surrounds. For Movies I'd switch the side and rear surrounds, but either way I think this would be pretty much major over kill and likely you could accomplish a better bang for the buck by spending the money on another part of the system.

But I guess it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish by doing this...? As Haoleb suggested I'd think you would only need one tower in the centre. If you're using two consider the resultant ohmage (1/r + 1/r=)...

Cheers
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 06:29 PM
Placement sounds tricky. Wiring would require a Y-connector to two channels of an amplifier,thus sending the same signal to the M60's. A couple of Outlaw M200's and a Y-connector would do the trick.

Placement could be a challange depending on your room size. If I did this I would place the M60's behind a front projection screen.

Very COOL! Now you have me thinking....

Tom

Posted By: dakkon Re: i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 08:17 PM
"If I did this I would place the M60's behind a front projection screen."

ah, yes, exactly what i was thinking... and i was thiking about getting another mm9000 5 channel amp.. and Y connecting the center channel to both amps... im still thinking about it... dont know if it will happen or not, but i might still do it...
Posted By: MykeW Re: i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 09:09 PM
Its certainly an interesting idea, but what do you hope to achieve from 4 towers in the front, why are you considering this? Also if you have two towers for a single centre channel how would these be spaced, close togethor far apart and what would this do to the sound stage?

Is this arrangement for an extremely large room?

Cheers, Mike
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 09:51 PM
I would guess dakkon is looking for an "ultimate" center channel experience. Seems to me that towers on either side of the screen would cause certain sound staging problems. Where are you located, dakkon?
Posted By: mhorgel Re: i have an idea..... - 06/12/04 10:09 PM
If you really wanted to do this, getting 3 more M60's Itotal of 5) and using them as front, center, and rear surrounds for SACD and DVD-A listening, and using your existing QS's as side surrounds for movies makes the most sense to me. You could power the 5 M60's with your mm9000, and use your receiver (or a cheap stereo power amp) to drive the side surrounds. I doubt whether you could improve on this setup much.

Mark
Posted By: MykeW Re: i have an idea..... - 06/13/04 01:53 AM
I concur with mhorgel. What he's listed is what I'd think would be the ultimate of both HT/DVDA/SACD. Having two towers for centres I"m afraid would cause problems with staging.

Mike
Posted By: dakkon Re: i have an idea..... - 06/13/04 06:55 PM
or i could get 1 m60 and 2 m80's use the 60's for center, surrounds, and the m80's for front left and right....

at this point i do not have a "house" but i am in the position to chose the one… just might take a bit of time…

The whole reason for my wanting something larger as a center, is the fact that 70% of HT is center channel, and the 150 just isn’t enough for me.. maybe I need to put everything in a larger room, as the current room I am in is quite small… just an idea I had….

Posted By: MykeW Re: i have an idea..... - 06/13/04 09:07 PM
This is pretty well what mhorgel suggested only you'd have M80's as left & right fronts.

I think in a larger room this would certainly be a truly awesome system, no doubt - particularily excellent for DVDA/SACD...

I'd also go for QS8's for HT surrounds if cost wasn't too much of a factor.

For the VP150 I'd ask about Axiom's upgrade policy and put it towards new purchases or likely better sell it on the internet EBAY ect. Nice thing about Axiom's is they seem to be easy to sell used.

One thing to remeber is the law of diminishng returns and I don't think you will experience as drastic a "wow" effect with towers all around as you probably did when you first got your Axiom system. But know doubt given an appropriate room and the resources to do this, I think it would be excellent!

Such a system is what I'm dreaming of some day. Nice thing is if you plan it right you can get there one piece at a time and have a great time along the way.

Cheers, Michael
© Axiom Message Boards