Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jimmyk sub search - 06/20/04 12:36 PM
I'm trying to decide on a sub to go along with my m60's, vp150, and qs8's. I'm looking at the SVS subs but would like to get some input on which one to use. My room is 15x25 with 9' ceilings. It is a dedicated home theater room with walls on all four sides. Do not want to shake the house down but just get some good bass when watching movies.
Posted By: JSkip Re: sub search - 06/20/04 01:21 PM
You and I are in the same situation. We have the same Axiom setup and basically the same size room. I've been wavering between SVS, HSU and also the new Outlaw sub, which was made with HSU. I am currently leaning towards the HSU STF-3. I've been told the STF-2 would work, but I really don't want to deal with the "what-ifs".

My wife shot down the SVS cylinder subs.

Good Luck
Posted By: Ajax Re: sub search - 06/20/04 01:55 PM
Don't know your budget Jimmy, but John, in that price range($600) you will NOT go wrong with the STF-3 (I have the STF-2 is a smaller room (11.5 x 18 x 8), or the SVS PB1-ISD. (Jimmy, also in that price range is the SVS 20-39PCi, but it's a cylinder, and NOT in John's future ). Some here recommend Hsu, some recommend SVS. The truth is, it's a win/win decision.

I always recommend contacting the companies. They are known for excellent customer service, and will NOT try to talk you into something you don't need.

Hsu has a Product Recommendation and Support Form you can fill out and submit, and they'll get back to you with their recommendations.

I don't believe SVS has a form to fill out, but the have a great FAQ page, and they recommend contacting them with your listening habits and room size.
Posted By: Moab Re: sub search - 06/20/04 04:21 PM
I just bought the SVS pb2 the pb1 got great reviews. Cant really go wrong with either.
Posted By: Wid Re: sub search - 06/20/04 07:43 PM
The Outlaw sub has free shipping for now.That would save you $50.00 plus its $20.00 cheaper than the Hsu Stf-3.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: sub search - 06/20/04 08:25 PM
and it was designed by Dr. Hsu himself. I've often wondered what the hell he was thinking when he agreed to design a subwoofer for someone else. Isn't that cutting your own throat? Bizaare.

Posted By: Wid Re: sub search - 06/20/04 11:23 PM
It doesn't seem to make any since at all,but in fact Outlaw uses Dr.Hus's name at there website to tell everyone it was designed by Hsu.All the spec's are the same as the Stf-3 it also weigh's the same.
Posted By: PaulHa Re: sub search - 06/20/04 11:40 PM
Unfortuneatly, it may have something to do with money. Do you thing his name is for free for use on the Outlaw?
Posted By: Wid Re: sub search - 06/20/04 11:47 PM
I never would have guessed that.
Posted By: PaulHa Re: sub search - 06/20/04 11:57 PM
I guess that is obvious. The question is are the subs different in the quality?
Posted By: Wid Re: sub search - 06/21/04 12:02 AM
Do you think Dr.Hsu would put his name at risk with a product if it were not up to his standards.I doubt it.So I would have to believe the Outlaw sub would be a fine sub.
Posted By: PaulHa Re: sub search - 06/21/04 12:12 AM
Yes, that is probably true. I just hate to see Commerialism, but that is the American way.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: sub search - 06/21/04 01:30 AM
putting his name on it and being offered by another company will only make more consumers aware of him...ron
Posted By: Ray3 Re: sub search - 06/21/04 01:38 AM
Jimmy, both SVS and HSU make terrific products and have Customer Service that rivals Axiom. Before I bought my SVS, I called and talked to both companies. Half hour each. Both sold me DOWN from the model I thought I wanted. Give them a call - risk free expertise and they'll ask questions you probably haven't considered.

Ray
Posted By: al1en Re: sub search - 06/22/04 04:52 PM
I'm running a PB2-isd with my M60s, QS8s & Vp150 in by 14x24x7.5 basement. That puppy is a monster and has more than enough power that you don't have to worry about clipping the sub, the gain is only at 1/4.
Posted By: glangston Re: sub search - 06/23/04 03:07 PM
I got the Hsu VTF-2. Last night we were watching "Message in A Bottle", a love story with Kevin Costner and Robin Wright. There was a scene where they're laying there counting the seconds from when lightning flashes until the thunder hits. When it hit the cat took off and I sat there smiling at the wife. It was a fun moment and nearly felt like a strike of thunder.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: sub search - 06/23/04 06:10 PM
DUDE! Message in a bottle?! Do you need to have your balls re-attached?

Just kidding, kind of. That movie is like five years old isn't it? Whiel Robin Wright is super-fine, is that the only kind of movie you get to stretch the legs of your sub on?

Come one - try some action, man...

Funny story about the cat, though...and I'm just giving you a hard time - no offense intended.
Posted By: glangston Re: sub search - 06/23/04 10:16 PM
I was pretty surprised it had sub effects and didn't expect the window rattling I got. Borrowed it from a friend, I only let the wife watch a certain # of chick flicks per month;) We watched "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" afterward to atone for it.
Posted By: Wid Re: sub search - 06/24/04 12:32 AM
Now that was a good movie.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: sub search - 06/24/04 02:22 PM
Alright - just so long as you eventually make amends with the Home Theater Gods!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: sub search - 06/24/04 04:10 PM
try the movie 'UNDERWORLD' to give your sub some work..

and as far as the next chick flick.. might i suggest 'FRIED GREEN TOMATOES' or 'TERMS OF ENDEARMENT'. jack is great in that.

bigjohn
Posted By: mhorgel Re: sub search - 06/24/04 04:33 PM
Don't forget "Steel Magnolias" and "The Joy Luck Club"

Mark
Posted By: bigjohn Re: sub search - 06/24/04 04:55 PM
ah yes.. good ones.. also..
'NOW AND THEN' and 'RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS'...

there you go glangston.. at one chick flick a month, that should cover you for at least half a year.

bigjohn
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: sub search - 06/24/04 04:58 PM
I AM SAM, has to be the most entertaining chick-flick ever. Sean Penn was once again amazing. Soundtrack was pretty good too.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: sub search - 06/24/04 05:13 PM
OK, now we are working on chick flicks for the second half of the year!!

how bout...'DIRTY DANCING' and 'COAL MINERS DAUGHTER'.. OK, that one isnt necessarily a 'chick flick', but it is a great movie to watch with your wife..

bigjohn
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: sub search - 06/24/04 05:27 PM
Gotta have "Titanic"
I didn't see the movie until the DVD was out for a year. I think the soundtrack was played way too much ruining any desire to see it.
Posted By: player8 Re: sub search - 06/24/04 05:57 PM
If you want a real chick flick, pop in Mandy Moore's "A walk to remember." I have been called insensitive several times because I didn't cry during the movie.
Posted By: Ajax Re: sub search - 06/24/04 07:01 PM
Oh c'mon! Chick flick of the century "An Affair To Remember." Or, 1st runner-up "Ghost." And before you all (that's y'all for John ) continue to be insulting, I LOVE chick flicks!
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: sub search - 06/24/04 07:12 PM
Here's another. "love Actually" it wasn't bad, I just think it was too long. My wife loved it!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: sub search - 06/24/04 07:22 PM
ajax-

DITTO on 'GHOST'.. (pun intended).. thats a great one to watch with your loved one!!

i wouldnt go as far as to say 'i love chick flicks', but they definitely have their purpose.

bigjohn
Posted By: tinfoilhat Re: sub search - 06/24/04 07:37 PM
There is a limit though to how much a man can take. My wife goes to a store called Regal which I describe as "filled with things that need to be dusted". Ceramic animals, knick-knacks, novelty crap - I can spend about 3 minutes in there before I get the urge to run headlong into traffic. The Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood gave me that same urge.

The late great Pauline Kael described Steel Magnolias as "...nails on a blackboard for 2 hours." God I miss her.
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: sub search - 06/24/04 07:46 PM
I like popcorn action flicks, but thought Love, Actually, was a great movie, filled with humor, an awesome soundtrack, and a little nudity (which I dig). All in all, a very watchable chick-flick.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: sub search - 06/24/04 07:51 PM
i almost forgot.. 'cold mountain' is the best of both worlds.. it tells of a love story, which appeals to the women.. yet the story takes place during the civil war, which appeals to the men..

my wife and i went to see it in the theater and it comes out on DVD here in the next week or so. if you didnt get a chance to see it, i bet it will transition well into the HT.. great sound effects, and an awesome soundtrack from allison krause and enya..

i think a must see love story with the better-half..

bigjohn
Posted By: Ken.C Re: sub search - 06/24/04 08:09 PM
How about Love Actually? I just saw that, and I thought it was great. Absolutely hilarious.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: sub search - 06/25/04 12:55 AM
You guys are starting to frighten me a little. I can't deal with all of this . "Apocalypse Now", "We Were Soldiers", anything Sam Peckinpah did. Give me SOMETHING to work with here!!!

I'll check back later to see if you have recovered. My wife and I are watching Notting Hill and Serendipity tonight.
Posted By: Wid Re: sub search - 06/25/04 12:57 AM
How about "Behind enemy lines".
Posted By: mhorgel Re: sub search - 06/25/04 02:13 PM
I don't like "Cold Mountain". It is the ultimate bait-and-switch movie. It starts off as a manly action flick, filled with explosions, blood, and gore, and winds up a sappy tearjerker. Aside from a great performance by Renee Zellwiger (sp?), it was easily the most overrated movie of 2003.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: sub search - 06/25/04 07:02 PM
Fahrenheit, 911 on the other hand...
Posted By: player8 Re: sub search - 06/25/04 10:35 PM
I must say, I don't agree with many of Michael Moore's views, but I more than agree with his approach. Like in the trailer for Farenheit 911 he tries to get congressmans' children to enlist in the army. I will say this till the day I die, unless you have served on a military branch you have no right to tell someone else to do so or even worse go into battle. Moore could not be more right on. Damn Bush...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: sub search - 06/25/04 10:56 PM
Please, guys, do we have to do this again? I'm tired of picking and choosing threads to avoid. Let's stick to fights over tubes and cables.
Posted By: James_T Re: sub search - 06/25/04 11:20 PM
Now now peter. Stop stiring up the $^1t.

jr

ps I agree with k. Let's stick to attacking each other childishly (my words not his) over none political topics
Posted By: pmbuko Re: sub search - 06/25/04 11:23 PM
I just needed an excuse to put a German word in a post.

Verzeihen Sie alle....
© Axiom Message Boards