Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Din SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/24/04 05:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been looking at the Denon 2200 and the Pioneer DV-45A. I have found the pioneer for 599CAD, and the Denon for 890CAD taxes in.

I have been putting it off, but I am getting an HDTV now, so I thought I should upgrade from the non-progressive DVD unit I have now.

I don't suppose anyone has used both of these units and can give a review?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/24/04 05:32 PM
i have the pioneer 563a, and it works well.. i know others have had probs with them, but i think that goes with every piece of electronic equip. the 563a is honestly a cheap, bang for buck kind of unit.. if price isnt an issue, then you would do well with the denon 2200.

i have never heard a one bad thing about that unit, ever..

bigjohn
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/24/04 06:19 PM
I have the same unit and have not had any problems. I love it.

Posted By: dmn23 Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/24/04 09:24 PM
I have a DV45A, and about a month after I purchased the unit, it stopped reading discs. It was swapped out under warranty, and I've had no problems since. That was about a year and a half ago.

The picture is terrific (beats the JVC it replaced by miles & miles), and the remote is one of the best I've used. It offers a pseudo-bass management option for DVD-A/SACD, but it's far from ideal. Give a lot of thought to getting an ICBM if you plan to listen to DVD-A or SACD discs. I'm not familiar with the Denon, but I'm perfectly happy with the Pioneer.
Posted By: Din Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/24/04 09:35 PM
The Pioneer is a little cheaper, so I am leaning towards it. Regarding the Bass Management, can't I use the Bass Management on my HK630?

I am totally new to DVD-A and SACD, so please be patient.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/25/04 02:20 PM
In reply to:

can't I use the Bass Management on my HK630?

You'll have to check your owner's manual on that. The receiver can only do bass management on a digital signal, such as the bitstream sent to it over a digital coax or toslink connection. When you play DVD-A's, or SACD's, with a very few exceptions, the signal has to get to your receiver via 6 analog connections, one for each channel plus the sub. Therefore, unless your receiver can redigitize the signal, it will perform no bass management. That is why the bass management of a DVD-A or SACD player is so important. If your player has insufficient bass management, Outlaw Audio makes a device called an ICBM that goes between your player and receiver that does the bass management for you. It costs about $149.

Mark
Posted By: curtis Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/25/04 02:42 PM
Actually Mark, the HK630 can perform bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs. It is one of the nice features of the higher end HK's.
Posted By: mhorgel Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/25/04 02:50 PM
I knew that there were some receivers that did this, but was unaware that the HK was one of them. How does it do this? Does it re-digitize the signal, apply the bass management, and reconvert to analog? If that is the case, couldn't the extra round of A-D and D-A conversion degrade the signal?

Mark
Posted By: curtis Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/25/04 04:06 PM
Mark...you are correct.

But in my experience, the sound still has higher quality. The HK does have a direct 5.1 input that bypasses all processing as well....I have not used that, I have not had a universal that has had good bass management.
Posted By: JohnK Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 06/26/04 03:18 AM
Mark, in theory it could and some "audiophiles" recoil in horror from such an arrangement, but as Curtis points out, it works well in practice. As Alan and others have pointed out, ADCs and DACs have now developed to a high state of excellence. No audible degradation takes place because of the additional conversions.
Just incase anyone is interested. The Denon 2200 is available again on Ecost for $289.00 this time.

jr
hey james.. that link goes to a google search for the san francisco school of dentistry??

looking for a career change.?..

bigjohn
Ahaha. Oops. I was looking for a cheap dentist.
Here is the right link!

jr
Posted By: pklin Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 12:57 AM
Hi guys, I am having trouble finding the Pioneer 563a unit online or otherwise... Can someone point the way? I wanted to get the Denon 2200 since I just got the Denon 2805 receiver, unfortunately the Pioneer is suiting my budget better for a univeral player at this time. I said unfortunately only because the Pioneer only comes in silver and I got the black Denon. Any help would be awesome!
Posted By: Ajax Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 01:23 AM
Here are some search results for the 563A.
Posted By: curtis Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 03:58 AM
It has been replaced by the 578. I read somewhere that Best Buys has them for $141.
Posted By: snippy Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 01:02 PM
Integra just came out with a 6 disc SACD/DVD-A changer for about $700US. Check it out.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 02:33 PM
I found one at CompUSA. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305043
Posted By: expatbrit Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 02:40 PM
If you are buying an HDTV then why not get a universal player that also has upconversion to 720P/1080i and a DVI or HDMI port. I just got a Samsung DVD-HD841 and the picture quality is amazing at 720P on a 50 inch TV. Haven't tried DVD-A or SACD yet, but both are supported. I paid $158 for this unit online.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 03:00 PM
True.. When I purchased my Pioneer last year. A DVI optioned player wasn't in my price range. Do you have any links? I really would like to get one. I didn't realize how cheap they are.
Posted By: expatbrit Re: SACD-DVDA players suggestions - 07/23/04 03:13 PM
tleigh, I got mine from Amazon. Just listened to DSOTM on SACD - sounds fantastic through my M60, VP150, QS8, VTF3 Mk2 setup.
© Axiom Message Boards