Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Sutter Cane It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 02:31 AM
Well gang it's done. I purchased my new Axioms tonight and my wife is going to kill me. lol

As I anxiously wait for my new babies to arrive, I know I'm going to get beaten or clubbed to death by the misses, if not both. lol

Why, oh, well, because I went overboard as usual. But what the hell, you only live once right. lol

I ended up purchasing the following:

Mains: M22ti's
Center: VP150
Surrounds: QS8's

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the jewelry store and the flower shop come Friday.

That's ok though, after all my wifes been through recently, she deserves something special. I'll probably take her out to dinner that night too.

If I really want to flip her out, I'd cook her dinner. Believe it or not, I'm actually a damn good cook, I just hate to do it, therefore I never do. lol

Well, now it's on to my sub and a few other components I need. I shoud have those within the next two weeks.

Sutter Cane
Posted By: BigWill Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 02:46 AM
Sounds good. Probably made the right move in light of your music/movies ratio.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 03:22 AM
Make dinner. Anybody can make reservations.

Posted By: INANE Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 03:34 AM
hehe cong!

Posted By: TonyM Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 04:24 AM
Hello SutterCane,

Hope you are well. Enjoy your new speakers.

Scenario: SutterCane's Wife whacks him on the head with a frying pan.....and all he hears is SVS SVS SVS...lol..

Later,

TonyM
Posted By: virtualexister COPY CAT - 08/04/04 05:34 AM
I did it FIRST HAHAHAHAHA

Hey Sutter,

I bet you'll get yours befor me...I am in CAL

so you are 1/2 way to me...DAMB!!!

They told me maybe THURSDAY

BTW

I DID NOT TELL THE WIFE

She is gonna SHEEEET
Posted By: virtualexister I forgot to ask - 08/04/04 05:42 AM
Kurt

what finsih did you go with

I had to go the Boston Cherry...it looks so pretty

dave
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: I forgot to ask - 08/04/04 01:12 PM
Dave:

I went with the same finish I had before, but with different color grills. Last time out I went with Mansfield Beech and requested Black grills, this time I went with Mansfeild Beech and Gold grills.

I request the Black grills last time, basically because I thought the Gold grills looked ugly as hell. However, the more pics I saw of the Mansfield Beech with Gold grills, the more those Gold grills started to grow on me. Now I don't think they're ugly at all, but look rather sharp.

Sutter Cane
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 02:15 PM
After initial shock, on the top of everything, you wil find yourself kicked out of your music room - embrace yourself
I did something similar when I purchased the QS8's. I left them in the boxes under the coffee table for a few weeks. She never noticed them until one day she had to move the coffee table to vacuum. When I got home that night she asked me what they are, my response was "I picked them up when I got the VP150" Not true, but it worked at least I think...
Posted By: virtualexister Re: I forgot to ask - 08/04/04 03:14 PM
man....I didn't know we could choose grill color..

what else is available?

too late for me though...besides BLACK is probably best with the cherry
Posted By: virtualexister Thats F N FUNNY - 08/04/04 03:19 PM
I thought of a similar scam.

One problem: I could never wait that long till she would FIND THEM

HAHAHAaaa

Posted By: Wid Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 03:30 PM
Kurt,
Congrats on your new Axioms.Did you go with the Axiom stands for your M22's?I knew you were going to go fo the Vp150 and Qs8's.Once you get your mind set on something there's no changing it.Let us know what you think on the 22's.
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 03:33 PM
Rick:

No, I didn't go with Axioms stands. I found some really cool stands I like at www.standsandmounts.com.

Sutter Cane
Posted By: Radspecv Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 04:20 PM
Virtualexister - here's a link to grille options. Hopefully that link works - first one I've tried

Pete
Posted By: bigjohn Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 04:26 PM
i ended up getting the burnt sienna on the custom oak cabinets.. i think they look great.

sorry to those that have seen this, i just like posting a pic every once and a while!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Radspecv Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 04:42 PM
It's funny - I remember seeing that pic before but I don't remember noticing the grille color. I do remember that picture on the wall of your wife holding a pair of your underware though. ;-)

Pete
Posted By: bigjohn Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 04:55 PM
yes, the infamous 'underwear' picture.

the picture of here holding my jock-strap is around the corner in the bedroom.

bigjohn
Posted By: Radspecv Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 04:58 PM
I hope you're not wearing the jock strap while she's holding it.

Pete
Posted By: Daphoid Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 05:08 PM
1. Setup Axiom's and put on smooth romantic music
2. Setup candle light dinner in center of room (with axiom's)
3. Hand out flowers / jewlery, etc.
4. Give her home cooked meal

Both at the same tiem baby

- D
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 05:50 PM
Now that's a thought, not a bad idea either.

Sutter Cane
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 06:08 PM
Would like to propose new title for this discassion:
"Who is a man in the house"

Please, don't show it to my WAF of 17 years
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 06:09 PM
Shame on me - "discussion" ((
Well, I'm crazy Russian after all
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 06:25 PM
Actually I told her this morning what I went with instead of what I was going to go with, and she was cool about it.

She knows she's got some goodies of her own coming her way soon, so I really didn't expect her to get too bent out of shape about it, and she didn't.

Tell me something guys, is it just me, or does anybody elses wife not give a hoot about this hobby either. I find it rather funny cause she comes across as if she could care less bout this stuff, but she sure loves it when we fire up movies by golly. lol

My wife is 50/50 when it comes to this hobby. She loves the end result. I can't have a conversation about it though. My wife doesn't really care when I go out and buy new "stuff". I'm very lucky, only if she knew how much I've spent.

Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 07:04 PM
Tleigh:

Do you and your wife have separate checking accounts or something, cause I can't hide anything when it comes to the amounts spent. lol

We have a joint account, so she always finds out what I spend. Luckly for me, her hobby is every bit as expensive as mine, so she never really complains too much about my hobby. lol
Posted By: pablo Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 07:07 PM
Total uninterest, cannot understand..a guy thing in her mind. I can justify/defend the expense versus the wife's habit of buying a new (expensive) purse just about every friggin year..a woman thing I guess...
I actually do have a separate checking account .It works well for us. This way each of us are responsible for what we spend and it makes account maintenance so much easier.
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 07:20 PM
Tleigh:

I never thought of that. Hmmm, might be something I should discuss with the wife. I'm all for anything that makes account maintance easier. I just never considered anything like that before, cause for some stupid lame reason I always looked at it as kind of being a lack of trust in your spouse. That was almost 9 years ago though, and I my views have changed some since those days.

Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 07:22 PM
Pablo:

I hear ya bud, my wife's the same way when it comes to shoes. She could open up her own store for as many pairs as she's got in the closet. lol
It's never been a lack of trust. One day I finally got sick of chasing her down for the receipts so I could balance the books. It just got old. We are going on 7 wonderful years.
Posted By: James_T Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 07:37 PM
I have that exact setup (diff sub from what you are getting though) and I loooooovvvvvveeee it.

enjoy!

jr
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 07:42 PM
Tleigh:

LOL, I konw exactly what you mean as far as chasing her down to gather receipts. I'm constantly having to do that with my wife. lol

I don't see it as being a lack of trust thing anymore, that was just my way of thinking back then.

Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 07:43 PM
James R:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of sub do you have?

Posted By: James_T Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 08:01 PM
I have this one, but lust for a sub from HSU or SVS.
My little sub does a good job and is a great bargain, but I would like more oompf. But, being a good neighbor is more important right now.

jr

PS I had to re-write this post to keep peter and bigjohn from being pervy! :-)
Posted By: Radspecv Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 08:34 PM
What do you mean pervy???

BTW - your sub has a nice port. Not as nice as an Axiom gorilla port, but .......

I still don't know where this pervy thing came from

Pete
Posted By: James_T Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 08:42 PM
Hehe, I tend to type things that are very easily read in less than innocent ways and Peter is usually pretty quick to pick up on it. :-)

I'm just poking fun. Nothing offensive has ever been said and Peter usually cracks me up. I added bigjohn because he likes to throw used condoms out the window..... :-P
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 08:47 PM
funny enough my "better quoter" ( small package ) is a classical violinist by education,
conservatory, Master Degree in Music teaching,and so on and on...
But I can hear more nuances then she does, catch a false note faster then she does,
and enjoy listening of all kind of music not only in concert hall, like she does, so,
I'm wondering - If I love music, does she love to BE IN CONCERT HALL?
And is it why she does not give a rat's behind about my hobby?
Oh, well, I proved myself wrong once ( got married ) there is no way I can convince anyone
Posted By: joshxfoo Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 08:50 PM
In reply to:

I have this one, but lust for a sub from HSU or SVS.
My little sub does a good job and is a great bargain, but I would like more oompf. But, being a good neighbor is more important right now.

Right now, I have M22Tis with no sub. I'm saving up and hoping to be able to get a HSU STF-2 in about six months, but it sure would be nice to get a sub sooner. I can really feel something missing in the low end. So I'm curious about your experience with the Dayton 10".

You say you would like more "oompf." I'm not one to listen at loud volumes, and I listen to far and away more music than movies (probably about 99:1). So I'm looking for a tight, musical sub that integrates well with my M22Tis. If the Dayton 10" fits that bill, it would be hard for me to justify getting a sub that costs twice as much.

However, if the difference will be subtantial, I'll just wait for the funds for the STF-2. I'm a bargain-hunter, but I think something is a better bargain if it is good enough to last and satisfy me for a long time even if it costs more. If I am going to feel that I ought to replace it in less than five years, I don't feel like it is worth my money.
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 08:52 PM
Look at it as a way of decreasing of the number of reasons for fighting, but keep in mind, she'll still be buying new soap holders for $50 every month, and when joint account runs out of money you will be solely ( and unappreciated, as a matter of fact ) responsible for paying extra out of YOUR account
This is a way it works for us
Posted By: Sutter Cane Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 09:15 PM
Bugzyseg:

LOL, you crack me up man. That's probably the truth though! lol

She can have her own account and take her soap holders out of that. lol

Leaving my account free for my toys. lol

Posted By: James_T Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 09:45 PM
Josh, I wish I had a better sub to compare the two, but so far that's not been possible. There are times when I think the Sub is doing a fine job with music (Alison Krauss SACD) and times when I have to turn it down because it's boomy (Jack Johnson- his 2nd CD is recorded better than his first quality wise).
I have tried various things (calibration, moving, adjusting phase, etc) and I have to tinker with the volume whenever I listen to music.
With HT it does a great job and if I were setting up something for my parents I'd go with this sub in a second. I'm not sure of the dimensions of my apartment, but it's a small studio so volume is not an issue with this sub. My concerns (not even real complaints) is that it is sometimes boomy and sounds 'slow'.

Having said all that, I won't be upgrading my sub until or unless I move into a bigger place. I think I got a great deal for my money. When I bought mine I paid $105.00 total (including shipping).
Perhaps it's subwoofer ignorance on my part (have just not auditioned many), but I don't know if the difference between what I have and an SVS or HSU would be that great, especially in a small space where I am already getting the dbs I want/need. If anyone feels strongly in opposition of my sentiments, that's great. Please don't flame me!

jr
Posted By: bigjohn Re: It's Done & I'm A Dead Man Walking. - 08/04/04 09:55 PM
naw, james.. i think what you are saying is the essence of HT. you are comfortable(somewhat) with what you have, you got it for a great price, and it suits your 'current' needs. i would be willing to say that the difference between what you have and an SVS or HSU would be great, but the bottom line is, you cant use nor do you need a big end sub like that at this time.

i am in the same boat.. my vega aint perfect, but it gets the job done. in a few years, i will look to improve with an SVS, but for now, i am OK.

bigjohn
© Axiom Message Boards