Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/07/04 01:02 PM
Hi folks,

I was diving into the world of Tivo yesterday... unfortunately, ended up into an empty pool .
Apperantly, I didn't do enough research -- and therefore my excitement quickly turned into repacking the unit and sending back. Here's my situation; any pointers from TIVO experts would be appreciated. My apologies up front for this being somewhat OT, from Home Theatre.

AS it turns out the TIVO box comes with 2 option for hooking up: the usual red, white and yellow component, and S-vidio. It has to be place in the loop with my digital cable box. Here was my problem. I have a High defintion box from comcast -- and while they have all these extra inputs/outputs -- the current firmware within the box doesn't let you take advantage of any of the extras -- it's the RGB components or nothing for high definition to work.

Well to say the least -- I was disappointed.

I understand TIVO has a $1000 high def box coming out that might do the trick, but I'm not in postion to drop a grand on that. Should I begin looking into a satlilite solution that might give me more options? I heard some of the direct TV options come with a DVR option. Switching to Satlelite would be good, since I'm really getting price gauged from comcast.

I will do some of my own research, but thought one of you guy already went down this path and had a quick answer for me.

BTW, (I saw that the new release of the movie "Dirty Dancing"was mastered in 6.1ES, hehehe) not that I'm a big fan of that movie, but I found it as a sign -- it's only a matter of time before they all are going to be 6.1!) I'm slowly being converted to the 7.1 one club. some of the actual 5.1ex sounds great with options on the Yammy amp expecially the "neo-cinema" option. Once a skeptic, now a believer. It does add something!

BB

Posted By: virtualexister Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/07/04 02:47 PM
woopty doo

Somewhere (i swear this is true)

I saw there is 9.2 starting..can't remember whre (maybe a reciever or something)

IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHH

LOL

BTW I am still 5.1 even thoug i will be getting a 7.x receier soon (Yami 2500 ???)

still 5.1 is so nice
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/07/04 05:33 PM
5.1 is great, and especially with a good DTS version of it.

I went with the Yammy 1400, mainly because I couldn't find enough that the 2400 differentiated to justify the extra $$$. I've been really pleased with mine. Good luck with the world of 7.1. I ended up turning the levels up higher on the rears, then the surrounds -- and, it seem to help.

In the 5.1ex films -- the extra setting on the Yammy amp help bring out those rears -- even using it for music -- I've fuound that "neo-Music" setting really nice.

Anyway, yea - I had to laugh when I saw the Dirty Dancing movie in 6.1 -- I'm going to get it for my wife though -- so I'll be interested to hear how the mastering was done for the rears.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/07/04 06:00 PM
The hi def $1000 TiVo that is currently available is a DirecTiVo, so you'd have to go with DirecTV to get it. That said, a standalone TiVo box is not going to give you quality. A DirecTiVo will, but a standalone won't. However, it does let you do all the really cool stuff, and frankly, I don't need to watch CSI at mind blistering levels of detail...
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/07/04 06:42 PM
thanks. I would of just been happy with getting the TIVO box to work, and sacrifice HiDef with the recorded stuff on the TIVO box. But, I couldn't get it to work with the Hidef comcast box at all...

Maybe I didn't fully inderstand your suggestion... (it happens, I'm ususally not very sharp after a week of work. Saturday is my "dumb" day)

Posted By: moostic Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/07/04 06:49 PM
Bilbo-

A couple of years ago I got the TIVO bug. I already had Directv so it was a pretty easy decision. Now I have 3. I can’t recommend the standalone unit as I haven’t had one but the reports on it about quality are pretty bad. Not to mention the subscription is about $13 a month. DirecTV/TIVO combo box with the TIVO subscription is $5 a month for as many Tivos as you hook up. You still have to pay $5 per receiver for the DirecTV programming. The 3 major advantages as I see it to going with DirecTV are:

- Quality (there is no reduction of quality and you always get 35 hours of recording) Standalones have a choice of quality settings and the higher quality the less hours of recording. Even the best quality of the standalone will not be as good as the DirecTV from what I have heard.

- 2 tuners (record 2 shows at one time while you watch another one that you have already recorded) this is GREAT!

- $5 instead of $13

I don’t work for TIVO or DirecTV or anything I just love it. Especially if you have kids it is wonderful. I just got a HDTV but I’m not about to pay $1000 for the receiver. You might be able to get a deal that includes a/TIVO combo box for pretty cheap if you are a new customer. I had to pay $99 per TIVO which is still worth it IMO.

Anyway I hope I have given you something to think about. Good Luck!

Matt

Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/09/04 12:13 AM
Thanks matt, you did me help, and give me something to think. i was really disappointed I couldn't get it to work. But, I think the DVR intgration with the hidef boxes for direct TV type options will only be a matter of time.\
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/09/04 12:43 AM
Another thought... does your receiver do downconversion from Component to S-vid or composite? That could let you use the TiVo.
Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/09/04 06:28 AM
not the one upstairs in the tv room that I'm working for the Tivo. The downstairs where I have all my axiom gear just won't be practicle for where the tivo would go.

Thanks for putting the thought you have into this.

Now I've been thinking of doing an adhoc, computer interface solution. But, I'm afraid it won't be usable for my wife, who has some techi-phobic issues with just using mutliple remotes.

thanks again.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Tivo -- Taking the plunge - 08/09/04 06:56 AM
I wonder if there might be a converter you could purchase from Accessories for Less or Rat Shack or PartsExpress or something. Of course, that would sort of negate the whole High Def thing without unpleasant cable swapping, etc, I guess.
© Axiom Message Boards