Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jrmav Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 04:03 PM
I am ordering the epic grand master system tomorrow and was wondering if the CSS2 stands are o.k., these are 24 inches high. The SS16s are only 16 inches high and seem way short for my system, I was also wondering about the QSS stands for the QS8's, these also seem too short at 36" for surrounds, any comments would be appreciated!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 04:15 PM
the ideal situation on the fronts, would be for them to be level, or as close as possible to level, with the center channel. determine at what height your center will be, then buy your stands accordingly.

as far as the surrounds, axiom recommends them to be anywhere from ear level up to 3-4 feet above ear level. so, keep in mind, once you are seated, your ears will be just about 3-4 feet off the ground, so the surround stands are just about in that optimum range. i personally think it would be better to wall mount the surrounds, but each HT environment has its own limitations.

keep in mind, that if you do have to use surround stands, the QSS stands are specially designed not to interfere with the downward firing driver. other stands from different companies might not be compatible with the QS8's.. also, the QS8's are heavy, so be sure to add weight to the stands so they wont be tipped over easy by a child or pet..

good luck, and enjoy your new system.

bigjohn
Posted By: jrmav Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 04:22 PM
Thanks for the fast reply. I have a 32" tube t.v. and the top is actually angled downward for a center chanel I am assuming and this is where I will place that. So would the CSS2 stands be sturdy enough to hold the m22's. I also think I will go with axioms souround stands just to be safe, I am planning to mount these on the wall later down the road, thanks again.
Posted By: joninflorida Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 07:55 PM
I have the axiom 16" stands, they put the tweeter just about exactly in line with my ears, however I think just a tad more, 6 or 8 inces might be better, I experimented rasing them, And I felt they sounded a bit better, IMO. I think they would also look a little better for what that is worth. The stand is a good stable stand, they look good. Don't sway like others. I used the small round stick-on dimples on the top base, to protect the bottom of the 22s for scratches. I will be happy to email a pic or so for you c5114@aol.com Jon
Posted By: joninflorida Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 07:59 PM
sorry ment to include this in the last post, my QS-8s are wall mounted, I LOVE these things, I was told at the time I considered QS-8 stands that they were not "ideally" tall enough for optimum sound, but were as tall as they could make them for liability/fall over reasons, 72" to 82" from gound I was told on 8 ft (96") ceilings, mine are 72" and I LOVE em. Jon
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 08:36 PM
I too liked the M22's higher than those 16" stands put them. I'd go with the 24"'ers.

Posted By: les9596 Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 08:57 PM
I went with these for my M22s:
http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/Wood-Technology/FGH-21E-FGH-21O/0PWT0078.htm
Posted By: alan Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 09:28 PM
Hi jrmav,

I moved my M22ti's from 16-inch stands to 24-inch stands to bring them up to the same level as the TV screen. That raised the soundstage higher, which I like. Tonally, the M22s sound equally good on either the 16-inch or 24-inch stands. You don't want the center channel too far from the soundstage of the M22s or you may get this weird discontinuity of the dialog being above the general soundstage.

Now that I've gone to a large-screen 50-inch TV, there isn't room for my center on top of the TV so I've put it on a stand below the screen, which sounds fine but looks stupid.

Regards,
Posted By: mullhead Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 10:02 PM
Hi Alan,

I've been wondering about that same thing. It seems big screens would be better suited to centers on each side of the screen, rather than above or below. I've already got my pull down screen mounted to the ceiling waiting for the projector purchase. My VP150 certainly won't fit above due to ceiling height and placed below, would have to be angled up, which isn't the greatest option, either. So, a pair of M22s on each side would seem like a rational idea, but they'd be hooked in parallel creating a 4 ohm impedance. I have a 3805, which I believe I've read a comment from you that Denon will handle the M80s, so I assume it would handle the M22s on the center channel after a little level tweaking. Sound like an decent idea?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/13/04 10:26 PM
I've had the same concern lately regarding where to put a center with a big screen monitor.

I'm looking at the Samsung 46 DLP rear projector, and any reasonable height that it would sit on a stand for viewing would force the center too low or too high in relation to the M60s.

What do others do?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 01:51 AM
Simple -- they buy a couple of subwoofers and raise the mains up so the tweeters are level with the center. This is "rcvecc's wall of sound" off the "wall of fame".

http://www.axiomaudio.com/img/m80room.jpg

It's probably a bit early for you to be getting that second EP350 so I guess you could use matched concrete blocks instead.
Posted By: bugzyseg Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 01:06 PM
Go to Home Depot, buy
1. 1 Square Garden Fence Poll 4"x4"x40" ( composite material, cut in half )
2. 1 2"x10"x6'
3. metal pipe for inside wire maintenance
4. can of enamel spray of the color you'll like

for about $30 and 1-2 hours of your time you'll have nice custom stands.
Then invite friends for beer ( taken u r over 21

Posted By: dmn23 Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 03:19 PM
I use the 24 inch Atlantis SB Stands. The M22s have a narrow footprint, and the top plate on these stands works very well with almost no overhang. They're well made and you can fill 'em with sand or shot if you like.
Posted By: alan Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 05:02 PM
Mullhead,

Your 3805 will handle the 4-ohm impedance of driving two M22ti's in parallel with no problems, and a pair at each side should "phantom-image" the dialog at the screen's center.

Regards,
Posted By: alan Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 05:08 PM
Hi Mark,

I shoved my Samsung 50-inch DLP as far back on the AV stand as I could, which opens up about 4 inches or so of flat surface at the front of the set. My plan is to experiment with a couple of M2i's laid on their side just in front of the Samsung. Other Axiomites have used a couple of M2i's (or a single one) as a center quite successfully.

I haven't set it up yet because I still have to unpack and hook up the new EP600 sub to play with and other deadlines are nearing. . .I'll report back when the M2i's are up and running as a center in front of and just below the Samsung.

Regards,
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 05:24 PM
"I shoved my Samsung 50-inch DLP as far back on the AV stand as I could"

Excellent Idea! That's something I hadn't thought of!

I'm trying to figure out how this would work and, with none of these items puchased yet, it's been a game of "best guesstimate" and walking around with a tape measure often.

I DID know that the Bell'O TV stand I was looking at to match my audio rack would not have allowed for the VP150 on it's top shelf... it was a 1/2 inch short on the height. I thought I was going to have to build a stand for the Samsung and STILL have the center way too high or too low... placing it on the "Main" shelf height will definitely be an improvement!

Thanks Alan- You're forgiven for that other thing!
Posted By: James_T Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 05:27 PM
" I still have to unpack and hook up the new EP600 sub to play with and other deadlines are nearing"

I'm soooooooo sympathetic... You 'have' to play with the EP600. I know, you are not complaining. I'm just so envious I look like kermit the frog right now!

jr
Posted By: alan Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 06:01 PM
Mark,

Ah, you mean the 5% discount thing? Yes, Amie is a hard task-mistress. An edict went out to me and my colleagues. It has to do with the economics of bulk shipping, etc.

Re the Samsung. It isn't very deep (14 inches) so if you get a stand deep enough to let you push it to the rear, then there may be enough room to put some speakers in front. They might block the Samsung's internal speakers somewhat, but I think you'd still hear enough from those if you just wanted to look at news or something without firing up the whole home theater, something I do for newscasts and programming that isn't enhanced by surround processing.

Regards,
Posted By: mullhead Re: Speaker stands for M22ti's - 10/14/04 07:37 PM
Thanks for your comments, Alan.

By phantom image, do you mean the sound would appear to come from the center of the screen? I took a long look at my available space last night and realized there would not be much room to push out the M60s. What would you guess the least amount of distance is needed between each center and the fronts?

Thanks again.

Tom (a.k.a. mullhead)
© Axiom Message Boards