Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme Why do cd/dvd players have drawers? - 11/12/04 06:29 PM
Why don't cd/dvd players have a simply slit opening like cd players in cars? Seems like an obvious choice/option.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Why do cd/dvd players have drawers? - 11/12/04 06:30 PM
The slot-loading CD players don't take 3 inch CDs or funny shaped CDs (like those little CD cards). Plus the slot loading drives used to be infamous for getting screwed up (people trying to load discs in when they already had a disc in and all). That's my guess.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Why do cd/dvd players have drawers? - 11/12/04 06:53 PM
Hmm...3" cd's are rare. CD biz cards would be used on a computer, not a cd/dvd player. And loading a disc when you've already got one in the player is just dumb. I say the coolness factor of a drawerless cd/dvd player trumps all those reasons.

Posted By: craigsub Re: Why do cd/dvd players have drawers? - 11/12/04 06:58 PM
Spiff ... It is actually because Halliburton owns the patent on the drawer itself, and John Ashcroft, on behalf of Dick Cheney, told all the Cd/DVD manufacturers they better use drawers, or face serious jail time ... ...
Posted By: LT61 Re: Why do cd/dvd players have drawers? - 11/12/04 07:26 PM
"Tray" type players are used because they are less likely to allow damage to the discs... (scratches)...........producing "scuffs".....(My term for used cds).

As for the car example, a "tray" sticking out of the dash would not only be vulnerable to damage,..... but some would try to use it as a cup holder for their "big gulps".
© Axiom Message Boards