Axiom Home Page
Posted By: audiofan M60 compared to B&W speaker? - 12/07/04 08:14 PM
I was wondering which range and type of B&W speaker that M60 can be compared to in term of sound quality and build construction?

thanks.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: M60 compared to B&W speaker? - 12/07/04 08:23 PM
From a pure audio perspective, several here think the M60s sound very similar to the B&W 703s, which are around $3,000/pr. It would be worthwhile for you to search the forum for comparisons, as there is quite a bit of information available.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: M60 compared to B&W speaker? - 12/07/04 09:03 PM
Yep...in all my speaker listening, the closest thing to the M60's I've heard has been the B&W 703's. Those 703's are the best looking speaker I've seen. Sweet real wood veneer...just a killer looking speaker. But they don't really sound any better than my M60's, and cost soooo much more.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 compared to B&W speaker? - 12/07/04 10:29 PM
I totally agree with spiffnme, before I bought my Axioms based on all the unbiased feedback on this forum (not like AVS) I listed to NHT, Klipsch, Paradigm, and B&W's on all of the receiver's I was thinking about.... Like you spiffnme, I fell in love with the B&W look and sound, the 703's are just toooo cool. I figured the price would be more than Axioms, and that was confirmed when I saw the price tag at the local AV Dealer. But when the salesman said, oh, I'm sorry, that price is for only ONE speaker, I about fell over. Also, my brother in law owns a recording studio and has only used B&W's in the studio and at home for as long as I've known him. He could not believe the sound my M60's put out, we were listening to a recent CD his band just produced, and he was VERY impressed with the sound coming from my system. He had never heard of Axiom's and his best guess was that I payed close to $1,000 per speaker based on the quality and sound he was hearing. The look on his face when I told him the truth, I wish I had a camera...

I have not been around AV as much as some of the others on this forum, but I have been around music most of my life. I grew up around the piano, played 1st chair trumpet in jazz band, and have a pretty good singing voice. Must have got that from my dad, he was a professional singer and was on Ed Sullivan back in 59, for the Army Entertainment Show. Some of you old timers might remember that broadcast each year...

Randy

Posted By: michael_d Re: M60 compared to B&W speaker? - 12/08/04 05:02 AM
You ought to do a search on this. I know I've replied a few times to this very subject, and I don't post much here (relatively new Axiom owner, plus I don't know much). But,(and I'll repeat my opinion on this) I found that Paradigm Studio Reference III's sound more like Axioms than 703's. For instance, the 100's sound pretty darn close to my M80's. I felt that the 703's were brighter and didn't have as much bass as my 80's, and both 703's and the 100's did not have as tight a midrange as the 80's.

Don't recall who, but there is another person on this board that posted dam near the exact perception that I have on this. Either case, Axioms, in my opinion, sound better than the other two I've mentioned. Plus, they're half the price. Quite a bargain.......
© Axiom Message Boards