Axiom Home Page
Posted By: darthkringle Which Sub and where to place it - 12/23/04 02:45 PM
Okay- 2 questions. First which sub? Not worried about price too much as they are sort of close. Between Hsu VTF 3 MKII and the Axiom EP500, which one? The Axiom has a smaller footprint which is nice.

Second question, when placing sub, it will go along same horizontal wall/plane as the M60's. With that said, should the sub go between the television and one of the speakers OR outside the M60?

Thanks in advance!!
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Which Sub and where to place it - 12/23/04 02:55 PM
honestly, it is a toss up on the sub. the HSU VTF3 is supposed to be an amazing sub, but the EP500 is no slouch. i think there HZ range is very similar, and i would bet to say that you would be happy with either one. if you like the smaller footprint, and it doesnt hurt that you can get it in a finish to match the rest of your speakers, i would say go with the EP500.

and placement, thats a tricky one. it really matters on the dimensions and dynamics of your room. subs can sound TOTALLY different depending on their placement in the same room. there is no 'universal' placement, it is always variable. some like it in the front, some like it behind the viewing area, some to the left or right, and some in the corner. it is literally impossible to say what would be the best placement for your room, that will be for you to decide. but, i would say as just a 'place to begin', put the sub in the front, on the outside of the 60's. but be prepared to move it around a bit to find the optimal place for it.

bigjohn
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Which Sub and where to place it - 12/23/04 04:34 PM
Why don't you get both and A/B them at home. Give us a full report. j/k...I know return shipping on a sub isn't cheap.

I am very curious to know how they'd stack up against eachother though. The EP500 is close to double the price of the VTF-3, and the VTF-3 is one heck of a good sub. Based on Axioms usual bang-fer-yer-buck products the EP500 should be amazing.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Which Sub and where to place it - 12/23/04 07:32 PM
What they said about the sub choices .

As far as placement goes, start with an interior corner in the room. Also - understand that moving the sub just a few inches can make a noticeable difference.

If you want to dial in your placement, try this. Put the sub in the listening sweet spot. While playing an LFE heavy selection, crawl around the floor on your hands and knees - when you find the place the sub sounds best, THAT's where it should go. I have been accused of this suggestion being a bit of a newbie audio snipe hunt , but it really works.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Which Sub and where to place it - 12/23/04 08:00 PM
Yep...really does.

Also keep note of the other locations that have good bass...the one that sounds the best may not be the most convenient...

WhatFurrer
© Axiom Message Boards