Axiom Home Page
Posted By: thekid New Receiver - 12/27/04 02:03 AM
I am looking to quickly pick up a new receiver. I mostly use 2 channel, but have a surround system. I have a low budget, and I can get a good deal on a Marantz SR5400 or a Harman Kardon AVR230. Out of those two, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 02:09 AM
If you can afford an SR5400, then surely you can do better than an H/K 230! Have a look at onecall.com, they've got refurb H/Ks. I got my 525 for $550 a couple years ago.

At the time, the 525 had better specs/more features than the Marantz I could have gotten for the same price (probably the SR6200, I think), but that may well have changed.
Posted By: bridgman Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 03:11 AM
IIRC the HK has more flexible bass management and a couple of extra surround modes for stereo content while the Marantz has a bit more power and probably has some other features I don't know about 'cause I don't own one

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I ended up with an HK (a couple of HKs actually) but probably could have been equally happy with the equivalent Marantz.

Do take a hard look at HK pricing though -- there are some fantastic deals available on the HK x30 models now that the x35 models are coming in, but for most of us the new models don't really add very much of interest. I picked up an HK 130 at FutureShop today for $299 CDN which is a really good price (HK is expensive in Canada). It's going to be the start of my brother-in-law's "high quality low budget" system.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 03:56 AM
also, check for the discontinued Onkyo 501, 601, and 701 models. now that the 502, 602, and 702 are out, you can find great deals on the old ones, with all the same capabilities.

its worth a look..

bigjohn
Posted By: thekid Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 04:25 AM
I have been looking around lately and I have found the
HK 330 for $449 the
HK 230 for $349 and the
Marantz 5400 for $405 all locally. I have picked up most of my gear online but for some reason wanted to pick up my receiver from a retail store. Maybe its because in 7 years the only issue I have had has been with my receiver.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 03:38 PM
$405 is definitely a good price for the Marantz. I have a SR5200 and I'm still very pleased with it, but the HKs offer some very, very nice bass management options that you won't find on the Marantz units. On the other hand, Marantz offers a three year warranty and they've been a pleasure to deal with. Two years after I bought the unit I had an issue relating to a problem that was covered in a Marantz service bulletin, and they fixed it without blinking an eye. Both companies make excellent equipment; the HKs will probably offer more features, though.
Posted By: alan Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 04:02 PM
Hi thekid,

Although Marantz is now owned by the same company as Denon, for years Marantz relibility was iffy when Philips owned the company and built Marantz. I'm pleased to hear that the warranty service is now good for Marantz. However, I'd also suggest you get the H/K because it will drive 4-ohm loads (should you ever want to run 4-ohm speakers like the M80ti's) whereas many other brands will not do so without shut-down or severe limits in power output (it's called current limiting).

Regards,
Posted By: littleb Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 04:53 PM
Darn,
I should have gotten an HK instead of this Denon thing in my living room. I'm always messin' up.
Posted By: Misfit_Toy Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 07:14 PM
Personally I think the Denon is a fine piece, as well as the Marantz. I believe Alan's main point was that the H/K's amps would hold up better with a 4 ohm load. Which, unless you have the M80s, should not be a problem.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 07:55 PM
Bruce, you will find that Alan has said on numerous occasions that the Denons drive 4 ohms with no problem. Don't be concerned.
Posted By: alan Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 08:44 PM
littleb,

Not to worry. The Denons are also fine with 4-ohm loads.

Regards,
Posted By: Foghorn Re: New Receiver - 12/27/04 10:25 PM
thekid,

I can't tell you that the HK is better than the Marantz, but I can tell you that I have an AVR 230 and am very pleased. You can't go wrong with it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 01:24 AM
hmmm I love my Denon
Posted By: mwc Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 02:00 AM
Me too Randy! Over the past 10 years, I've had receivers from Yamaha, Pioneer, and Denon (all fine machines) in my system and I always seem to gravitate back to the Denons. Subjectivly, they just sound more "robust" to me-don't know how else to put it. BTW, if anyone is worried about the 4 ohm thing, my 3805 has no problem driving magneplanars rated at 4 ohms with a sensitivity rating of 86.
Posted By: Pete_D Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 02:22 AM
Just curious, as I will be in the market for a new receiver soon. Does the Denon 3805 have independant bass management for each channel? If not, is this not an issue because the same crossover works well for each channel?

Thanks
Pete
Posted By: mwc Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 03:07 AM
Pete,

No independent BM. Would be sweet to have I suppose but the global crossover works for me in my room.

I'm perfectly happy to have my two subs handle the bass below 120Hz and relieve the mains/surrounds and amps of bass duties. Hell, I paid good money for those subs-I want to get my money's worth out of um'.

I know some of you who may be reading this post are right about now gritting your teeth and squinting about the 120Hz crossover point. But I tell ya what, I get very flat response (+/-4db according to the Rives Audio Test CD 2) in the 20-125Hz range and my system sounds very bass articulate, if I must say so myself. Absolutely cannot localize the subs (just ask bray).

I say to all, don't be shy about trying higher "different-than-normal" crossover settings and sub placement (no matter what size speakers you have) especially if you think your bass sounds even a little boomy/muddy when listening to music. Get yourselves a Rives Audio Test CD 2 (corrected for nonlinearities in the RS meter) and find out what your bass is really doing. Sorry I got off on a tangent Pete.
Posted By: littleb Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 03:56 AM
I'm not concerned. I was only WINKING.
Posted By: Pete_D Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 04:01 AM
That is just the feedback I was looking for. I am interested to hear if anyone else really finds great value in independent BM. It sounds great on paper, but does it add that much practically?

Orginally, I was looking H/K, either 630 or 7300. However, the H/K 7300 is huge (20.5 inches deep)! I am not sure if video upconversion is worth the money either. So many options these days. I have a 10 year old sony right now that does Dolby PL, but has no subwoofer out and does not do 5.1. I would like my next receiver to last the next 10 years, anyway.
Posted By: Misfit_Toy Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 03:01 PM
Two things. Yes...I really like the independant BM on the H/Ks. I believe the Outlaw 950 preamp has the same feature. I found it really handy to break up say the fronts having a crossover of 60 then having the surrounds at say 100 Hz. It's a brilliant idea that needs to be seen more in other companies.

The H/K is a solid piece. It's pretty too. It didn't do everything I was looking for though. But that's me. Most people are very happy with their H/Ks. I had the AVR-630.

On the other note...the video degraded when run through the receiver. It doesn't seem till recently where receivers hit the 100 Mhz video range have I seen virtually no degradation in the picture. But I'm picky...as my wife will tell you

I will tell you, as I will tell all receiver shoppers...go to a store that carries similar speakers to Axioms (B&W, Paradigm) and demo whatever receivers they have there to match with your sound. Now...these won't be cut and dry demos. First and foremost they'll have different room acoustics than your room. Secondly, their equipment will be fully broken in, whereas a new piece of gear needs breakin time (some will likely disagree with this). And thirdly (and probably most important)...they're not Axioms

In any case the BEST solution, if you have it available to you, will be to take a demo receiver home....hook it up...and let your ears be the judge. I can tell you all day what TO get and what NOT TO get. But the bottom line is always what YOU like. And that's the most important.

In a general concensus I think you'd probably be looking at Denon, Marantz, Harman Kardon, Onkyo (and Integra), and Yamaha. If you step it up a little in price you'll be looking at pieces like Outlaw, Rotel and Arcam.

There are others. I just think these are probably the most commonly seen here on the Axiom forum.

Good luck in your quest!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New Receiver - 12/28/04 03:13 PM
no BM on the 2805 either, 80hz crossover seems to work good for me, the bass my M60's is fabulous.
Posted By: Pete_D Re: New Receiver - 12/29/04 03:49 AM
Thanks MisFit_Toy. How do you like the Arcam? I saw the thread regarding your decision to buy in November.

Where did you buy it and what are its pros and cons in your opinion?
© Axiom Message Boards