Axiom Home Page
Posted By: al1en Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/21/05 09:25 PM
I am currently running M60s, QS8s (also some Tannoy bookshelfs for rear surround in 7.1, soon to be M2s) and VP150 with a Denon 3805 and SVS PB2-isd/2. When listening to music I find that things get a little harsh in my room around -20dB (calibrated to reference at 0dB) with a lot of CDs.

I have been thinking about adding a 2 channel amp for the M60s but want to know if anyone else has done this with the 3805 and notice much improvement in quality, i.e a little more midrange and smoother highs? My biggest problem is with squealing guitar solos and some high female vocals, not the higher frequencies of cymbals etc which are clear and sharp.

Amp recommendations would also be appreciated, keeping a reasonable budget in mind.

I do run movies fairly loud (-10dB to -15db) so relieving the 3805 of the front channels wouldn't be a bad thing either. My room is 23x14x8.

Thanks,

David
Posted By: player8 Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/21/05 09:29 PM
If I were to get a 2 channel amp to supplement my reciever (which I plan to in a few years) I would look at NAD, Adcom, and Outlaw monoblocks.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/21/05 09:58 PM
I dont know about the Outlaw monoblocks. Dont they change to a different class after a certain amount of power needed?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/21/05 10:08 PM
http://www.outlawaudio.com
Posted By: JohnK Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/22/05 01:42 AM
David, reading your post it strikes me that some of the CDs are more likely to be the problem, rather than the 3805, which is a very powerful receiver. It's unlikely that a separate amp would bring the benefits which you're looking for.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/22/05 01:51 AM
To add to this post I get the idea from this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=5035576

I've connected my M80s to the crown 402 amp I bought and after some tuning all I can say is that I am impressed. I'm doing more listening and will post a followup soon.
Posted By: player8 Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/22/05 03:23 AM
Please post your thoughts of the Crown amp. I've often wondered how the pro amps sound. I mean they should sound like regular home audio amps but are plenty more powerful.
Posted By: spiroh Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/22/05 03:40 AM
So far after configuring the amp everything has been positive. I'm going to do some more testing tonight and tomorrow.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/22/05 08:12 AM
i tend to agree that it's the CDs that are the likely culprit. im also running my M60s off a 3805 in a room about the same size as yours and i havent any problems with harshness at loud volumes (and thats with everything from Maynard Ferguson to classic rock) but that may be becasue i havent gotten around to any poorly recorded discs, i dunno. anyhow it gives you a great excuse to go out and get more music!
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Amp For Fronts Channels - 01/22/05 11:26 PM
In reply to:

I dont know about the Outlaw monoblocks. Dont they change to a different class after a certain amount of power needed?

Correct. It does at 80 watts, but it happens too fast to be audible. I use one for my center channel (VP-150) and it does an incredible job at keeping up with the B&K Ref. 2200 I use for my mains. With the M-200 I immediately noticed clearer highs, less constrained (boxy) sound, and smoother midrange than what I got with just a stand alone receiver. I won't surgar coat it; there are better amps out there, but for what you pay with this little beauty and the performance you get, it is a steal. I've posted a link to a review of the M-200 for your reading pleasure.

Outlaw M-200 Review

spiroh:I also look foward to hearing your thoughts on the Crown amp.
© Axiom Message Boards