Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DallasAxiom Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 05:16 PM
Most reviews I read say DTS soundtracks are generally better thank Dolby ones. Why is this the case? is it a better technology? From my experience - like LOTR or Blade II, they are louder and - maybe - clearer...or maybe I'm just hearing things...
Posted By: alan Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 05:42 PM
DallasAxiom,

Because of competitive pressures, DTS soundtracks are tweaked or equalized to sound different from Dolby Digital, which may be interpreted as "better than" by some listeners. Typically DTS gooses up the LFE level, and EQ may be applied elsewhere, likely in the midrange where our hearing is particularly acute.

DTS is not a standard for DVD or for HD broadcasting. It is optional, at a DVD producer's discretion. For fidelity to the original movie soundtrack, reference everything to the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. In comparisons I've heard in Hollywood mixing theaters, Dolby Digital is an essentially transparent system.

Both Dolby Digital and DTS are "lossy" systems (in that some information is discarded) but are in practical terms essentially transparent. They do run at different data rates, but a faster data rate does not necessarily mean superior sound quality. It depends on how well the perceptual encoding is done in the original algorithm.

Thank heavens that Sony decided not to promote its system (SDDS) for consumer consumption as well. All three systems (DTS, Dolby Digital and SDDS) are used in theatrical exhibition. Each has some practical advantages for exhibitors.

Regards,
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 06:07 PM
i personally prefer movies with the DTS format over basic DD 5.1.. thats not to say the DD isnt good, i just think the DTS is better.. and it also depends a lot on the movie, and how the mix is done.. there are lots of DD movies that sound every bit as good as DTS.

but, as a general rule, i always look to see if a movie is offered in DTS before i buy it. i always prefer to have that format if avail. you can search here to see if there is a DTS title avail for any particular movie

bigjohn
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 07:17 PM
It is kinda like Chevy and Ford, Chevy is better Although I do like the looks of the new Stang! I may have to convert
Posted By: BrenR Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 07:45 PM
DTS tracks seem to also be compressed (dynamic range compression, not bandwidth compression) which makes the quieter parts louder and raises the average levels of the entire presentation. That along with a really good bandwidth compression scheme (psychoacoustical model if you like $10 words) and some tweaking of the EQ give it an edge over Dolby Digital.

Dolby Digital is probably closer to the original track, but since when do viewers want to hear reality? Foley artists have to recreate what we recognize as footsteps and punches landing because we've been conditioned to listen for those outrageously inaccurate sounds. I haven't been in a fistfight for some time, but when I landed a punch back then, I don't remember it ever sounding like someone hitting a 12lb sirloin tip roast with a golf club.

Bren R.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 07:50 PM
In reply to:

I don't remember it ever sounding like someone hitting a 12lb sirloin tip roast with a golf club

you have obviously never been in a fight with me!!

bigjohn
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 09:15 PM
Ooh, how about the dial tone after someone hangs up the phone? That doesn't happen with real phones.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 09:45 PM
well, you havent been hung-up on, 'in my house'..

bigjohn
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 10:15 PM
Dallas, I also prefer DTS, if available, over DD. DD can sound really great too, but if a DVD sports a DTS track that's usually what gets played in my HT. Whether one is closer to the original mix or one gets tweaked or not doesn't make any differnce to me. It's how it sounds in my HT.

BTW, nice work on your HT man! Looks great!
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 11:01 PM
Put me in the DTS camp also!

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/dts_vs_dolbydigital.php
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 11:33 PM
I have been a DTS fan for many, many years. I remember talking about it on AVS back when a lot of people (even in the HT world) didn't have it, or even know about it. I just like the enhanced mix. I am not sure if it is still the case today, but it used to be that every movie was completely remixed for release in DTS if it wasn't originally done in DTS for the theatrical release.

I even have those DTS sampler CDs and DVDs starting with volume 1 which I got back when they first started making them available. I do not have the last couple volumes, but I am no longer in the resale business either and don't "technically" qualify to get them.

If given the chance, I ALWAYS get the DTS version if it isn't included with the DD version.

One thing to remember is that the upcoming HD-DVD and Blu-Ray devices require DTS as the standard along with DD, so DTS is definately here to stay.
Posted By: DallasAxiom Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/02/05 11:47 PM
Thanks Minirock... not too bad for a first attempt at HT huh? So glad I found Axiom...

Yeah DD can sound great too - for example - Underworld (maybe I was looking at Kate Beckinsale too much he he...)
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/03/05 12:34 AM
nick: Man I'm so happy about that. Hopefully with HD-DVD though, DD/DTS tracks sound more like it did on Laserdisc.

Dallas: Hell, first time or not that's a nice set-up man! There's people who have been into HT for years who haven't got it that nice. Regarding Underworld, yeah Kate is frikkin HOT. So is the DD track though; I actually had to turn down the sound from what I normally listen to DD at...it was too much. I've been thinking about getting the Superbit version, just to see if there is any taming with the DTS track, but I'll most likely wait until we near the second installment of Underworld.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/03/05 12:41 AM
Well BigJohn it appears your life has its own soundtrack.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/03/05 02:23 PM
yes, and i am the only one who hears it.. at least thats what the DR's told me.

BTW- straightjackets are remarkably comfortable...

bigjohn
Posted By: bray Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/03/05 04:54 PM

Posted By: Bilbo_Baggins Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/04/05 03:46 AM
Now that was funny... I'm half tempted to try. I'm assuming a big taylor made driver.

Anyway, I think some of the DTS mystique is the raised expectation when you choose it before the movie starts. I think the last DTS I heard on the axioms was iRobot. Pretty darn impressive sound track I must admit!! A lot of fun.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/04/05 04:33 AM
Just watched Flight Of The Phoenix in DTS. LOTS of floor rumbling LFE throughout this movie. There is a flyover during the opening, while Johnny Cash is singing "I been everywhere, boy," that had me ducking for the floor. Fun stuff!
Posted By: bray Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/04/05 04:42 AM
I started to get that today but Dennis Quade scared me away.
I really enjoyed the original. Would I be way dissapointed in this one?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/04/05 05:35 AM
I don't think you'd be WAY disappointed. I too, really enjoyed the original, so I didn't like this one quite as much. But, you know how that is. One rarely likes a remake as much as the original. I think this one is worth the rental fee. The dialog isn't as good, but the plot is OK, and the visuals and the audio are REAL good. As I said, there is a whole bunch of great LFE throughout. If you go into it not expecting a lot, you'll be fine.
Posted By: izub Re: Is DTS always better? - 03/04/05 12:46 PM
I have been downloading some live DTS concerts. Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Grateful Dead. The sound is phenomenal. The downside is they won't play in your car or cd player Only DVD players that have DTS. It is a great mix of soundboard quality in the fronts and audience mix on the sides and rear. TRULY LIVE SOUND!!
© Axiom Message Boards