Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ptrpaul22 Speaker Wiring Ideas? - 05/17/02 01:57 AM
I am curious if anyone has any recommendations for running speaker wires. I am trying to come up with some ideas for running speaker wire in my tv room. It is posing somewhat of a problem. My entertainment center is recessed. I have wood floors as well. My wife insists that the wires be hidden. The builders already had all the drywall up, so running it like I should have was not an option. I am trying to think of other ways to run the wire. The house is a two story, so I don't have a attic to run wire though. I could run it up through the ceiling and under the carpet upstairs, or pry up all the floorboards and try and run it behind them. A installer advised that he had run it outside and along the side of the house. This sounded a little extreme to me. The other option I thought of was to install some Crown Molding and run it behind the molding.

Any Ideas would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks,

Paul
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Speaker Wiring Ideas? - 05/17/02 02:11 AM
Base board molding instead of crown molding?
Posted By: purky22 Re: Speaker Wiring Ideas? - 05/17/02 02:18 AM
Hi,

Crown Molding is good. Another is plastic conduit available at OSH or other hardware outlets.
I use this in the bedroom - comes in white and tan and can be painted to match wall. It has a flat
side about 3/8th wide and the balance is rounded. Flat side is adhesive and stuck above the molding at the
foot of the wall it is near invisible. I also use that to go up the wall (corners) for the rear surrounds.

I'm in a two story house but have a crawl space below the ground floor and I run all my wiring, audio,
computer network, multiple TV cable and phone lines to all first floor areas via the crawl space. Careful
measuring (if you can get under) will allow you to bring the wiring up at any desired spot. Changes to
location simply means dropping the wire down and drilling a new hole to bring it up again at the new spot.
The old spot, (small hole) is easily hidden or filled in etc. Good luck.

Posted By: CAV104 Re: Speaker Wiring Ideas? - 05/17/02 02:28 AM
How Ya Doing Paul,
Is there a Home Depot nearby? They may have a narrow profile wire mould product that could be installed at the transition between the floor and base board. If you like, email me, I have some other ideas.

CAV104
© Axiom Message Boards