Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tharkun EP600s - 03/25/05 12:12 AM
After a considerable amout of discusion with knowledgeable people about the adition of a second EP600, and having the offer of assistance in placing and calibrating the pair, the decision to try it was made today. I ordered the second sub from the factory outlet which is showing two weeks, this wil give me a bit of time to finish up cabinets, and a few other things before its arrival. So in about 3 weeks, should have both placed and set up and will see how much of a differance it makes, hopefully all good.

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 12:17 AM
ENOUGH!......................................Jeeeeez, you have me wanting to upgrade stuff and I'm happy at the moment if you can believe that!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 12:38 AM
My jaw would hit the floor if I didn't know that you were doing it already...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 12:44 AM
You know you didn't need to tempt me with another EP600 to get me to come back, right?

Between Jack's recent good fortune and your desire/ability to put together a giant-killer system, my vicarious living is quite fulfilling.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 12:52 AM
Well after having recommendations Alan, and from Amie since Ian added a second, and they seem to have a similar listening area as to size and surfaces. I figured my thought of adding a second was not all that far off. LOL

You and Ken don't need any reason to return for listneing other than wanting to, just say when.
Posted By: Wid Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 12:53 AM

Wow Dennis.What else is there to say.Congrats.
Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:06 AM
Well this will be the end of upgrades, only thing may be an BFD or similar for the subs, depends on the subs once in and set up. I really need to get back to the tile job and finish that, along with ten other projects. I'm happy with the system, just trying to get a bit more bass, and then I'm content.
Posted By: lomb7 Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:25 AM
No, no Dennis....go right ahead and make us all feel like our systems are small children next to yours. Go right ahead and let us dream. Don't feel bad about those that can actually lift their subs by themselves. We'll all be fine with our quite little systems while you are lifted into the air with the feedback that will be coming out of those two subs. Just not cool.....not cool at all..
Posted By: bray Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:25 AM
So buying audio equipment is your way of procastination?
COOL!!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:40 AM
I think he just really likes doing flooring. You see, as soon as he's done laying and grouting the marble tiles, the second sub will arrive. Then when he fires them both up, his tiles will shatter and he'll have to start over.
Posted By: richeydog Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:51 AM
In reply to:
----------------------------------------------------------
"You and Ken don't need any reason to return for listneing other than wanting to, just say when."
----------------------------------------------------------

Dennis, are you completely sure you want to do that? These two schemers might ALREADY have a set of keys to your house. I'm sure you won't notice Peter's m22's in place of your m80's!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 02:06 AM
What makes you think I'd trade my M22s for a measly pair of M80s???
Posted By: Ajax Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 02:38 AM
I have NEVER, until this thread, heard of anyone having TWO EP600s. Don't you need a license for building demolition? I'm looking with disdain at my one 10" sub. Sheesh.
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 03:10 AM
>>I'm looking with disdain at my one 10" sub. Sheesh.

In fairness, Dennis has an exceedingly large... room.

I was concerned about that second EP600 getting classified as a WMD and confiscated but apparently that's only a problem in Iraq

Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 03:27 AM
Another reason for going with the factory outlet on the second sub, need time to check out each room and make sure pictures and stuff are secure, not wanting a TV or something to take a crash. LOL
Posted By: James_T Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 03:29 AM
Do you think dual EP600s could hit the "brown note"?

jr
Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 03:32 AM
Well when they are in and working, your welcome to come out and take a listen.
Posted By: richeydog Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 03:35 AM
Ha. That would be a messy predicament.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 04:59 AM
Actually, there was a Mythbusters on that. They didn't find a "brown note" per se. They went on a sweep from something like 6 or 9 Hz up to 50 Hz with this huge array of speakers. Some crew members reported feeling extreme anxiety, however...
Posted By: Haoleb Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 06:31 AM
gees i sure hope they put alot of rebar in your house

its gonna be awesome i bet
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 06:33 AM
Dennis did mention something about a really expensive steel i-beam. It was right over our heads during the audition, but you'd never know it by looking.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 06:38 AM
18 inch thick? Was that it?
Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 12:25 PM
The I beam was 5 x 14 x 19.6' and was something like 550 pounds. The steel company that I eventually found that would do a small custom job, constructed the columns and beam to engineered specs, delivered it to the curb in front of the house. All for a mere $ 3k, I then had to move it into the house and raise it into place, a task that was fun when you have a crew of one.

Posted By: Seabear Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 12:40 PM
Dennis, three questions;
1- HOW did you move and hoist that I beam all by yourself?
2- Just how close are your neighbors, and how often do they think that another earthquake is cutting loose?
3- What in the name of $%^ is that thing next to your recliner? Is that the Mother of All Cat Towers?
Tom
Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:02 PM
Actually we are in what is determined as a non quake zone, but the enginerr I hired, which charged me $ 3,500 for four pages of engineered drawings, and 30 pages of docs. over designed this project. By the time I did all of the work, with material costs, the 18' opening was at a cost of $ 10k. If there is a quake here, the beam and columns will be left in tack. LOL

For any that are interested, I have put a link to the web pages, they are over a year plus out of date, but have the house and cat tree links. On the house page click the "Impatient" red lettered link, and that will show how I managed to get the beam into place.

http://www.numenor.org

Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:04 PM
Also in the abvove by the cat tree, notice the old sub, makes the EP600 look huge compared to it. LOL
Posted By: Seabear Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:17 PM
Wow, the cats look pretty cool. Sounds like my kind of cat.
The sweetheart is going to get a kick out of those pictures and that Cat Tower!
Posted By: Tharkun Re: EP600s - 03/25/05 01:33 PM
Was looking at buying a cat condo/tower, but when I seen the prices of $ 1,000 and up, decided to build one, Three weeks later, I had close to $ 500 in it, but its built solid and will not fall apart. Over 800 feet of the rope on it. Was worth the time and effort, they live on it and I need to start replacing some of the carpet from wear. One of my neighbors had seen be building it and when completed, he offered me $ 600, I looked at him like he was a fool. LOL

© Axiom Message Boards