Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gnrajagopal Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 03:13 AM
Hello guys

My one year axiom anniversary is turning out to be a nightmare. Something is wrong with my center channel. I am having a strange problem. Here are the issues am having.

1. The human voice is sounding very sharp.....words like voice sound 'voicccceeee', noise like 'noisssseeee'. Such words have a 'hissssss' appended to their end.

2. The center channel output is rather muted. I used to have the volume at -30db and got a very full and satisfying experience. But now I got to play at -17db and still dont feel the fullness.

Here is my setup

1. m22/vp150/qs8/hsu stf-1
2. pio 53tx
3. sony nc675 5 disc dvd player
4. use a digital optical connection

I did a complete check of all the connections, even re wired the center speaker with new monster wires. I borrowed a new optical digi wire from a friend. I re calibrated the system using the sound level meter and avia disc. nothing seems to help.

I am going to engage axiom support tomorrow. I wanted to run this problem by you guys and please help me fix this in any way you can.

Thnx
Raj
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 03:23 AM
Raj, the first thought that strikes me from what you describe is that one or more of the woofers in the VP150 isn't operating. I assume that you didn't somehow unintentionally boost the treble to the center channel.
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 03:28 AM
hi johnk

thnx for the reply!

I just checked my reciever settings and I have not altered the treble in any way.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 03:33 AM
Okay, now how about temporarily connecting a M22 as center and the VP150 as a main to see if the problem follows the VP150 or stays in the center, i.e. is a receiver problem.
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 03:42 AM
john

just did that....same issue, is my reciever all messed up?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 03:50 AM
Maybe, but lets see if we can eliminate the player as a problem. Does the same thing occur with FM, TV,etc.?
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 04:03 AM
lemme try that....getting the fm wire hooked up
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 04:52 AM

FM sounds alright! CDs sound ok too. Its only when i play dvds.....could the dsp circuit get screwed up?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 08:35 AM
Okay; closer and closer(assume that you used a mode for FM and CD that had the center channel operating). Can you borrow a DVD player from the friend who lent you the cable to see if the problem can be narrowed down to the DVD circuitry of the receiver?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 02:41 PM
I'm onboard with JohnK.
If cds and tv are ok with the VP150, the problem is with the source or the source unit.
You could try swapping out a dvdp for another one and use a disk that had the sibilance sounds. If the sibiliance is gone, you've got the culprit.
If the dvd still sounds sibilant with another player, then you may have to consider looking at the DSP onboard the receiver as a possibility.
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/09/05 03:14 PM
I will do that and get back to you guys.

Thnx so much for the help!
Posted By: gnrajagopal Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/31/05 07:01 AM
I could finally test my setup with another dvd player and experienced the same output levels and sibilance. I guess its my reciever that could be a problem, any pointers on what i could do , i have tried chaning the dsp modes to all the available modes.....same result . I really want to get this problem fixed , so any help greatly appreciated
Posted By: dakkon Re: Help me out of my misery!!!:( - 05/31/05 11:24 PM
have you called axiom yet, they always help me with any problem, speaker, or reciever with in a matter of minutes...
© Axiom Message Boards