Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SirQuack Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 09:42 PM
OK, I'm working on what I call a pretty kick a$$ Home Theater in my basement, and hope to provide pics to you guys asap. I know a lot of you are really into dedicated HT, but this fellow AVSforum member has taken HT to a new level. I still can't believe it, WoW

http://www.reighn.com/theaterphoto.html
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 10:04 PM
there's one guy who's REALLY bummed that Enterprise got cancelled...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 10:14 PM
Or REALLY happy...

One thing I noticed. It looks amazing, and woo, there's his Monster power center, but, um, where are the speakers?
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 10:59 PM
Check out the equipment section. He is using Polk and Velodyne...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 11:00 PM
Waaaay too far for a joke.

Bren R.
Posted By: joninflorida Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 11:21 PM
Pretty impressive, a little to space ship contempory for me personally. Still have to respect the dedication, I'll take the room after all, I just want to bring my equipment, he can keep his.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 11:39 PM
Am I the only one that's just a tad frightened?
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 11:48 PM
Egads, no!!

Don't change a thing!!
(Unless the oportunity comes along to make it even MORE autentic)

I see it as:
Dads' model railroad that you can go into.
Moms' dollhouse to the nth degree. Fully furnished.
Uncles' mature stamp collection.
Aunties' hand made quilts.
Everybodys' most favorite hobby.

It would be fun even with Bose!
Posted By: joninflorida Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 11:57 PM
I forgot, the projector is certainly equipment, yeah, I would take that in a second over my Sammy. I guess my point is if you like the theme or not, thats one hell of alot of work and money to run that amplification and polks. If you are gonna go "way" go all the way. I am probly just jealous LOL, Just my opinion. I have never liked the star trek, or that kind of stuff. I have seen star wars (the first one) one time!! I know I am in the minority on that.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/10/05 11:59 PM
Yeah, I saw that one a couple of years ago (or it seems like it anyway)... Too much time on his hands, if you ask me. I mean a theme is nice, but I would rather watch the movies that spend that much time on the bits and pieces. Then again, maybe he added on to it over time...

Man, and I thought that you finally had new pictures of YOUR HT for us to look at.

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 12:11 AM
I think it's great. A man true to his vision.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 12:37 AM
I'm working on it man You know how it is, your daughters are older than my sons. Seems like every night we are running all over town.

Just got a call from Homemakers, and my 3 Lazy Boys are in for the front row, crap, I don't have the painting, carpeting, trim, etc. done yet...
Posted By: Seabear Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 12:37 AM
The only thing that comes to mind is Triumph the Insult Comic Dog spending time in the line at the opening of the last Star Wars movie.
I have nothing else to add, because I'm afraid that this fellow will find out about this thread and come looking for me with his Fazer set on whatever the highest setting a Fazer has.

Posted By: michael_d Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 12:49 AM
no, you're not.....
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 02:11 AM
I'll pick them up for you and then I can use them for my Lord of the Rings Marathon that the guys from work keep bugging me about...

So, are they being held under Randy or Sirquack????
Posted By: BigWill Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 03:47 AM
I agree. To each his own.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 05:54 AM
I like a Star Trek but that is a little over the top for me. I would rather have a crap room with great equipment then a great room with crap equipment! I'm not saying his stuff is crap but given the obvious cost of that room, I would have put more money into the gear.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 06:06 AM
You know, at first glance it's a little funny, but after thinking about it, it's pretty awesome. Whether you like the theme or not, I would kill to have the funds to build a theater room to whatever my heart and imagination desires. I betcha everytime that guy watches a movie he's in heaven. Don't we all want a little slice of that?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 06:11 AM
In reply to:

I betcha everytime that guy watches a movie he's in heaven.

Do you really think so? I can see building a very comfortable listening room, but when you trade function for form like that... I wonder how long it takes for the novelty to wear off?

Bren R.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 06:13 AM
Jeeeez, what happens if he turns into a Star Wars nut versus Star Trek? Reno time!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 06:33 AM
Bren, I didn't mean you have to turn it into a theme park. But if that is one's desire, why not? It makes more sense if you have a room that is only used for HT. I don't want my living room looking like the Enterprise bridge (come to think of it, I don't want my HT room looking like it either ), but to have a separate space to do whatever you want with is great. My point was not to aspire towards Disneyland 2, but to have a room to design to your tastes--whether it's ultra-livable, or ultra-corny.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 07:24 AM
In reply to:

Bren, I didn't mean you have to turn it into a theme park.

Ahh... *whew* was a bit worried about you for a second.

There are some real carpe diem/crappy diem types out there!

Bren R.
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 09:06 AM
Fazer? It's spelled Phaser. Now where did I put that tricorder?

Someone's at the front door. Well I'll be, it's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog......
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 03:38 PM
In reply to:

I wonder how long it takes for the novelty to wear off?

i imagine pretty quick when every time there's an explosion on the screen the room shakes and you have to take a dive over the railing!

wow. i mean, i like some Star Trek stuff but damn. i'm thinkin' he doesn't get much action with the ladies...
i would also find it difficult to justify dropping that much dough on a theater with such a relatively small dvd collection, but hey that's the joy of obsession!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 04:11 PM
Geez, build an HT in gaudy rococco style, and no one cares. But DARE to build one in a Star Trek style--watch out!
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 04:12 PM
"..but when you trade function for form like that..."

I don't see any bit of functionality sacraficed by the man's design. Even the speakers and receiver are probably fully functional.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 04:39 PM
In reply to:

I don't see any bit of functionality sacraficed by the man's design. Even the speakers and receiver are probably fully functional.

Having to choose lighting, surfaces, paint, positioning based on "historical accuracy" rather than best placement. Where are the speakers? I'm assuming the mains are down on the floor under the LCARS computer screens. That's definitely a trade-off.

Bren R.
Posted By: bray Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 05:00 PM
" I'm assuming the mains are down on the floor under the LCARS computer screens."

Bren, if you read and look a little more carefully you'll see the speakers are on either side of the screen. You can see them through some semi-transparent black mesh. Looks to me as if he thought things out pretty well and did put function in front of form.
Not my taste exactly, but looks to be well done.

Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 05:03 PM
The seating appears to be ideal, though you are likely correct that his speaker placement sacrafices some degree of audio perfection (but isn't that true for all of us?).
Regardless, this man's theater obviously has more purpose than screening movies in the dark. In that respect it functions perfectly, as he wishes.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 05:11 PM
In reply to:

Bren, if you read and look a little more carefully you'll see the speakers are on either side of the screen.

I didn't read any of it, just looked through the thumbnails and a few full size images. That does make a bit more sense.

And Will - yes, the theatre has another purpose besides screening movies. It gives him almost as much cred at the next ST convention as the guy that gets plastic surgery to make his ears look Vulcan.

Bren R.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 05:22 PM
i think i agree a little with everyones comments. the room is not what i would do, but hey, more power to him if thats his thing.. plus, i do think i would have put more into the HT system itself, and less into the room details.

when i was a kid, i really liked the movie 'Fantastic Voyage'. i remember thinking how cool it would be, to be floating around in someones body in a spacecraft. this theme was used again in the 80's comedy, 'InnerSpace' with dennis quaid and meg ryan. anyway, i was thinking of a dedicated HT room, and use 'Fantastic Voyage' as a theme. the seats could be large bean-bag chairs shaped like red blood cells. the wide screen could be the back-side of an eyeball. the bathroom could be shaped like a colon. make the equipment rack look like a large beating heart. leave the wires exposed and give them the impression of being veins or muscle fibers and tendons.

OK, this is just a bad idea...

wheres Capt Kirk when you need him...?

bigjohn
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 05:47 PM
bigjohn, you need to quit your day job and start designing theaters full-time! JK
Posted By: freesey Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/11/05 08:16 PM
Where is the ready room?

Thats pretty sweet...but Ive seen better - There was a designer selling his apartment in ebay about a year and a half ago - the whole thing was redone to look like ST:TNG, it was really incredible, kind of strange, but the detail in it was sick.

Edit: Here it is...
http://community.webshots.com/album/70233469ukYjLT

edit: crap forgot the url tags
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/12/05 01:46 AM
In reply to:

when i was a kid, i really liked the movie 'Fantastic Voyage'. i remember thinking how cool it would be, to be floating around in someones body

Too bad it wasn't Raquel's.
In reply to:

i was thinking of a dedicated HT room, and use 'Fantastic Voyage' as a theme.

Sounds like Body Wars at Epcot.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/12/05 01:53 AM
My favorite part of "Fantastic Voyage" is when the crew gets attacked by white blood cells. Back inside the ship everyone is frantically pulling white cells off of Raquel Welch. Every part of her is saved except for her. . .um, bosom. Finally, the old give dives in and saves her breasts from a horrible fate.

My hero.
Posted By: bray Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/12/05 02:15 AM
Wasnt there a series based on that movie.?

Posted By: Thasp Re: Where no man has gone before! - 05/12/05 02:17 AM
Was the topic a typo? I think it would be more fitting as, "where and to who no woman has gone before, and where they never shall be"

**hides floorplans for a HT room made to look like a Dark City scene
© Axiom Message Boards