Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rdwarn M60Ti's & new Denon AVR1705 - question - 05/17/05 05:05 PM
Quick question. I just purchased the mentioned Denon recevier, however, I don't actually pick it up until tomorrow. I noticed on the AVR1705 specs that it is 75 Watts at 8 ohms and 110 Watts at 6 ohms. Would operating my M60Ti's at 6 ohms cause any damage short term or long term? Or should I just shutup and stick to the 75 watts at 8 ohms and just be happy with what i have?

Thanks
Posted By: BrenR Re: M60Ti's & new Denon AVR1705 - question - 05/17/05 05:13 PM
You'll be just fine.

You don't choose what impedance to run the speakers at - the speakers draw what they do from the amp. The less ohms, the more watts - you're not "losing" watts because of the M60s being 8 ohm.

And don't flick the switch on the back for 8ohm/4ohm speakers off 8ohm... it's a "safety" feature which cuts power to the rails, then you WILL be losing some of that ever precious power.

Bren R.
Bren said it all.............
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60Ti's & new Denon AVR1705 - question - 05/17/05 06:34 PM
My Denon 2805 also states wattage at different ohms, that is what the receiver is capable of, there is not switch, it is all internal.

Posted By: JohnK Re: M60Ti's & new Denon AVR1705 - question - 05/18/05 02:12 AM
RD, as Bren points out, you don't have a choice of powers, despite the misimpression that you got from the manual or specs. At a frequency where your M60s are actually 6 ohms(speakers typically vary fairly widely in impedance at different frequencies), your 1705 would actually be capable of delivering at least 110 watts and probably a bit more since receiver ratings are generally slightly conservative. Don't be too impressed with this since you'll be using about 1 watt a majority of the time and it's entirely likely that you'll never hit over 100 watts. Your 1705 has a menu setting for lower impedance, but it should be disregarded and left at 8 ohms. As Bren also pointed out, such menu settings or switches only reduce the maximum voltage(and therefore current and power)available in a concession to UL and liability concerns.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: M60Ti's & new Denon AVR1705 - question - 05/18/05 04:41 AM
Before you pick it up think about an online purchase of B stock or refurbished unit. You would be able to upgrade to a higher level receiver for the same bucks. Denon site has authorized etailors. check here
Posted By: Ajax Re: M60Ti's & new Denon AVR1705 - question - 05/18/05 05:33 AM
Bug has a point. I have no idea what you're paying for the 1705, but If you're set on that model you can get a refurbed model at eCOST.com for $200, plus shipping. I picked one up there a few weeks ago for my bedroom, and it's performing flawlessly. Don't be daunted by the photo of a silver model. Mine ended up being black, which was just fine with me. If you prefer a specific color, you should give them a phone call to see what they have in stock.

If you are comfortable with what you're paying for the 1705, you could get a refurbed Denon AVR1905 for $280,plus shipping, or even a refurbed Denon AVR2105 for $360, plus shipping.

I have purchased 3 refurbed units from eCOST and had no problem with any of them. Because a refurbed unit has been thoroughly checked out, and any problems corrected, the chances of getting a lemon are no greater, and perhaps even less, than getting a lemon when buying a new model.
© Axiom Message Boards