Axiom Home Page
Posted By: smokey banna plugs - 05/25/05 09:29 PM
just a kick question. i'm currently running my speaker wire just the wire ends to my reciever and amp. should i go with banna plugs do they make the connection better.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: banna plugs - 05/25/05 09:41 PM
Personally, I think the best connection is bare wire, other opinions may vary
Posted By: nickbuol Re: banna plugs - 05/25/05 09:55 PM
Sirquack, you look different... OK, so maybe it is just your new female avatar..

Anyway, bare wire is supposed to be the best connection. Fewer points for a bad connection to be made. Downfall is the possibility for corrosion.

I got some nice solder and soldered the ends of mine. Make sure that you don't just get plumbing solder, it is different than electrical solder. Some have used silver solder for even better connections.

Banana plugs do "look" nice and finished, but if you are going to hook things up and leave them hooked up, I would skip them.

Others here DO use banana connections because they move things around, unplugging and replugging their speakers and components. Those crazy people (just kidding everyone) have a very good reason for the banana plugs since it makes the plugging in and out quick and easy.
Posted By: smokey Re: banna plugs - 05/25/05 10:59 PM
thats good news save some bucks. since i don't move stuff and the connection is just as good with bare wire thats great. thanks for the help
Posted By: darren700 Re: banna plugs - 05/25/05 11:34 PM
i decided to order them along with my m60's and 50' wire just so i get the ht discount it ends up being cheaper than without em
Posted By: nickbuol Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 01:12 AM
Cool way to get a discount, but again, unless you need to move things around a lot, or unless you just want the "cool" factor of the plugs, I would skip them.

I went round and round with myself on this same topic. I almost got them just because I thought that it would make the connections look more "professional"...

Ends up that nobody else but me looks anyway, and I get the best connection with bare wire anyway.

Another train of thought is that you definately won't hear a better sound with bananas, but unless done right (which isn't hard, but you never know) could end up with something inferior...
Posted By: ratpack Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 02:32 AM
I agree with the board comments! If you aren't going to move your wires/ cables very often, then bare wire is just fine. I recently put banana plugs on my wires because I am going to be doing some changes when I get a new HD TV and, perhaps, some new audio gear.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 03:10 AM
I used dual bananas for my 60-80 test. Worked real well for qucik changes, but I did have to check wire tightness when I moved the connection.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 03:50 AM
"Sirquack, you look different... OK, so maybe it is just your new female avatar.. "

Dude if I was a female, I would love to look like Diana Krall
Posted By: bridgman Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 04:05 AM
>>Dude if I was a female, I would love to look like Diana Krall

Yeah, but we're still talking "if" here, right ?
Posted By: richeydog Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 04:22 AM

>>Dude if I was a female, I would love to look like Diana Krall

Yeah, but we're still talking "if" here, right ?

Yes John, that's why he's called SIRquack!
Posted By: RickF Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 10:44 AM
I use banana plugs on the amp/reciever side of my system and use bare wires for the speaker connections. I don't know about evrybody else but with all of the speaker connects on the back of a reciver being so tight I find it much easier to use the plugs there rather than trying to fumble around with my fingers and the bare wire.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 12:59 PM
amen brother bob.. the banana plugs make it MUCH easier to deal with all the speaker wires coming into the back of the unit. just not enough space to work with back there..

i did put them on the speaker wire ends that terminate at the speaker, but its certainly not a necessity. more of a convienence.

bigjohn
Posted By: bridgman Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 01:22 PM
>>Yes John, that's why he's called SIRquack!

Yeah yeah... and I have a friend who is still called Greg but his closest friends now call him Karin...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 01:47 PM
Yeah, same here. Banana at receiver, bare at speakers.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 02:18 PM
Ya got me, the spelling of my name is actually Randi not Randy
Posted By: BrenR Re: banna plugs - 05/26/05 04:31 PM
In reply to:

Yeah, same here. Banana at receiver, bare at speakers.

Which makes a lot of sense to any of us with meathooks for hands (and especially to those with young children within earshot!) I've come up with some creative uses for various expletives in every part of speech.

Luckily pro equipment usually has screw connectors... crimping on spades leaves the swear jar a lot more empty.

Bren R.
Posted By: INANE Re: banna plugs - 05/30/05 01:45 AM
I see Axiom has two kinds of plugs... anyone have any input as to which works *better* ?

Their explanation of each seems a little too vague.

Reference
Posted By: varkha Re: banna plugs - 05/30/05 01:28 PM
Dual connectors work for cases with standard gap between the plugs (I believe Axiom speakers are all standard). Some of the recievers will have it standard and some will not in which case you would have to use the singles (that work in all cases).
Posted By: bridgman Re: banna plugs - 05/30/05 01:40 PM
... and of course the nice thing about the doubles is that you can't accidentally short the two wires together. I have never quite gotten around to buying bananas for my speaker wiring (hence the complaining whenever I do an upgrade or comparison) but if/when I do the plan will be to get doubles for the speaker ends (better and I know they'll fit) and singles for the receiver ends (I know doubles won't fit the HK spacing).
Posted By: ratpack Re: banna plugs - 05/30/05 02:38 PM
I have used dual banana plugs, on and off, for years. Something that I have been wondering, is there a "standard" spacing for dual banana plugs? I've never had a situation where they didn't fit, but, then again, I've never seen anything that says that there is a "standard."

Do all or most all manufacturers use this spacing?

Just wondering.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: banna plugs - 05/30/05 05:25 PM
I think he's asking about locking vs. spring loaded. Unfortunately, I have no answers other than what Axiom says.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: banna plugs - 05/30/05 05:33 PM
3/4 inch. Which is what Axioms and Monsters are. I also use singles for receiver.
Posted By: INANE Re: banna plugs - 05/30/05 05:42 PM
In reply to:

I think he's asking about locking vs. spring loaded. Unfortunately, I have no answers other than what Axiom says.

Exactly

© Axiom Message Boards