Axiom Home Page
Posted By: moorejh Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 01:42 AM
After reading until my eyes hurt and wringing my hands over what receiver to buy I have narrowed the list down to 4 candidates. I have taken all of your advice and soaked it all in and then went to read more and have come to this list:

HK AVR 3805
Yamaha RX-V2500
Marantz SR8400
Denon AVR 3806

I understand that they are all good choices but I am having trouble picking one over the other. Help

By the way I have decided on the following speaker combination

2-M60T's fronts
4-QS8's surrounds
1- VP150 Center
1- EP500 subwoofer

I also currently have a Velodyne CT120 sub that I have been happy with and would consider running 2 subs if you guys think that is a good idea. Kinda thinking that the EP500 is going to blow me away anyway and will not need it. If not I will just use it in my upstairs den to set up surround for my kids with my old components.

"Speak to me Goose"
Denon 3805?

Are you planning full price or refurbed?
Posted By: moorejh Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 01:51 AM
I am not opposed to refurb but i have been looking at new. Where are the best places to shop online for Denon?
Posted By: bray Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 01:56 AM
I'm confused as to which H/K your looking at...???
The only places Authorized to sell Denon products online are ecost, ubid, dakmart, and a few others according to the denon website.
"I'm confused as to which H/K your looking at...???"

Good catch Brady. I didn't see that until you mentioned it.
Posted By: moorejh Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:00 AM
OOPS...what an idiot!!!

Sorry about that...got 2 wrong actually

HK AVR635
Denon AVR3805

"franks and beans"
Posted By: dakkon Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:01 AM
accessories4less.com

has the marantz 8400 for 899$ they also have 2 or 3 modles higher as well if intrested.. they are also a internet certified seller for marantz products..
Posted By: moorejh Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:06 AM
The Marantz seems easier to find the best price right now which Im sure is a direct result of UBids recent auction
All of those AVR's would drive that system great. It really depends on what bells and whistles your looking for and how you plan to use the receiver. I'm assuming your planning on something good for HT, and something great for music as well? All of these will perform fine. I would look at the options of each closely and decide from there.....If that doesn't work flip a coin or coins
Ubid Receivers
These change regularly.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:09 AM
"After reading until my eyes hurt and wringing my hands?"

Just curious, what factors helped you decide on those 4?
Posted By: moorejh Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:11 AM
Price range, reviews, and people on this boards advice. I am still open to suggestions. I would rather spend more time researching that being stuck with something Im not happy with.
Posted By: bray Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:17 AM
In that case I'd go for the H/K for two reasons.
1. More crossover features.
2.Their new auto room EQ.

I started with a H/K 130 and then went to the Denon 2805. I think the 130 was rated at 50WPC and the 2805 is rated at 100WPC. I noticed little if any difference. If I could it to do over, I'd go with a H/K635.
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:24 AM
All 4 are excellent receivers but if you were to threaten me with with either narrowing down that list or being forced to watch a reality show I would choose between the Marantz 8400 and the HK 635. Just my $.02
Posted By: moorejh Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:27 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I really appreciate your help.

Keep them coming.
Posted By: bray Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:29 AM
Doesnt Harmon INTL. own Marantz?
Posted By: moorejh Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:34 AM
I thought I read that Marantz and Denon were owned by the same parent company...could be wrong
Posted By: bray Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 02:41 AM
Yea you're probably right, I just looked up Harmon Intl. and this is what I found.

"The companies which make up Harman International are legendary. They include Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, Mark Levinson, Becker, AKG, Soundcraft, Lexicon and many others."
D&M are owned by same Japanese company.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 03:36 AM
Okay JH, I'll go along with Brady and his pick of the HK635 for those features.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 03:43 AM
H/K is the ticket. sound great with axioms.. (i am not going there!!)

H/K's are great receivers, with plenty of power and features.. pull the trigger!!

bigjohn
Posted By: md55 Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 03:48 AM
Recomend staying away from Dakmart. Terrible customer service.
Do a web search to see customer ratings, there are none worse, and I was happy to drive them lower more after deaing with them.
Posted By: INANE Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 04:04 AM
I lub my HK 630. They truely underrate their power output too.

"Recomend staying away from Dakmart. Terrible customer service.
Do a web search to see customer ratings, there are none worse, and I was happy to drive them lower more after deaing with them."

I'll keep that in mind thankyou.
Posted By: INANE Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 04:25 AM
BTW

I got my HK as a refurb off ebay (which is where the HK store sells the refurb units)

Posted By: SeanF Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 05:36 AM
I own a Marantz SR8300 and am very pleased with the sound setup and overall performance. You may want to have a good look at it since the price seems to have dropped a bit since the Denon holding Co took Marantz over.

Sean
Posted By: ratpack Re: Ok, narrowed down to 4...What say You??? - 06/02/05 11:22 AM
Yes, you are correct that Marantz and Denon are owned by the same parent company.

Saw a couple of posts about customer service as being important. What about warranty?

I asked this question before on another thread, but I don't think that I received an answer. Spearit advertises NAD blemished carton gear. What is the definition of blemished carton? Are they talking about the outer case of the gear or the shipping box?
© Axiom Message Boards