Axiom Home Page
I'm looking to get the HK AVR235. I went to the HK site and checked out the list of authorized HK dealers. I went to eCost first because I've read on this forum that many others have used eCost and were satisfied. Unfortunately eCost does not have any AVR235's in stock. I then went and checked out Sound City (www.soundcity.com) and they have this unit in stock at a good price with free shipping. Anyone have any experiece with sound city? What about OneCall?

thanks
I can't say about those 2 E-tailers, but lots of folks on this board, myself included, have had good results with J&R and they have the HK235 on sale for $350 (shipping included in the US).

Paul
I had a decent experience with OneCall. Got my stuff, no problems.
Some of the sites specifically indicate "refurb" while others don't. Can I assume that if it's $350 for an AVR235 (retails for around $550) that its a refurb?
It will be a new unit unless it is clearly identified by J&R as a refurb. See the Onkyo 502 for $150 is clearly identified as refurb. whereas the HK is not listed as such. It is new, a good price, hence the popularity of J&R.

By the way, many on this board have bought refurb.s (myself included) with great satisfaction and savings. I don't know there are any statistics on this, but many feel refurb.s or no more risky a buy than brand new products for breakdown. In fact many feel they are less risky as most components malfunction due to one cause (mot many causes) and the manufacturer has already fixed the problem.

Cheers - Paul
In reply to:

In fact many feel they are less risky as most components malfunction due to one cause (mot many causes) and the manufacturer has already fixed the problem

AGREED!!

you might also want to check MacMall.com. thats where i got my Onkyo 701, an they offer great deals from time to time on certain receivers.

bigjohn
Unbelievable! I almost spent $400 on a bottom end Denon AV1705 from Tweeter...no offense to Denon. I cancelled my order when I started reading on this board about eCost and the success many have had with refurb units. Once again this board has opened my eyes! Thanks for the posts everyone.
Rdwarn, I bought my hk-230 from harmanaudio's ebay store one year ago in May. Still works like a champ even though its refurbished. Not a scratch or dent on it. Still had that new stanky electronic smell reeking from it for a week after I started using it. Came with a two year warranty to boot. Hk-235's show up there often so start bidding.
Both J&R and OneCall are solid companies with good customer service. I have ordered from both and been satisfied every time. But for best bang for the buck refurbs are a great way to go.
I bought my HK635 from J&R without a hitch, I'd certainly reccommend those folks.
I have also purchased from J&R and have no complaint.
© Axiom Message Boards