Axiom Home Page
Posted By: benson4real ohms setting - 06/26/05 02:30 AM
i've got a yamaha a/v reciver and i'm able to change my ohms setting from 8 to 6and4 or just 6 , should this be put in to the lower setting and what will it enable me to do? i've also got cerwin vegas the entire v-series execept for the sub. i've been told that cerwin-vegas will run better at a lower setting ! is this true and should i switch my a/v/ reciver to the lower setting . i want to get the best shound out of my system , i figure i should since i've spent a good chunk of dough on it .. Thank you .
Posted By: SirQuack Re: ohms setting - 06/26/05 02:43 AM
I would leave it on 8 ohm, this question comes up a lot around here. What are the ohm ratings on your speakers? Many folks around here have Yammy's with the 6ohm Axiom 150 center and 6 ohm Qs8 surrounds, however, they still leave the switch on 8ohm.
Posted By: JohnK Re: ohms setting - 06/26/05 02:50 AM
Benson, welcome. No, neither Cerwin-Vegas nor any other speakers will run better at a lower impedance setting on the amp unless it keeps shutting off at the 8 ohm setting. Using a switch or menu setting to set a lower impedance reduces the maximum voltage(the key element in supplying power)which is available to the amps and therefore the maximum current and power(Ohm's law). So, the setting should be kept at 8 ohms except as a last resort if the amp protective circuit would keep shutting it off.
© Axiom Message Boards