Axiom Home Page
Posted By: frisbfreek center and surround freq response - 06/20/02 05:25 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie at this stuff, and I was just wondering why the frequency response for the center and surround speakers don't go as low as for the main speakers (~90Hz). If the center supposed to handle most of the dialogue in movies, shouldn't it be able to go lower? Or is frequency response different from frequency extension (how so?).
Also, I would like to know if using 4 M3Ti's for mains and surrounds would be good as well. I know I would be using direct radiating speakers for surround instead, but would the sound still be balanced?
Posted By: Lorax Re: center and surround freq response - 06/21/02 03:50 PM
No, it shouldnt need to go lower....The Human voice is all about midrange....from 250hz to 4hz at best....more like 500hz and 1k for the most part in dialogue....

Once you get lower than 125hz you are talking about bass related music and that wouldnt apply to the human voice...100hz or so is more than enough "headroom" for a center speaker...

Based on a typical music studio mix you would get these generalizations:

125hz - bass guitar and kick drum
500mhz - vocals (but somewhat nasally part of the vocals)
2hz - higher vocals and guitar

really, I would expect all vocals & dialogue to fall between those numbers except in the most extreme cases...
Posted By: Randyman Re: center and surround freq response - 06/21/02 09:07 PM
Welcome in Lorax - nice name! I like it. Should we call you just Lorax - or The Lorax (of Dr Suess fame)?

Randyman
Posted By: fhw Re: center and surround freq response - 06/21/02 09:38 PM
4 M3s will sound great!
Posted By: Lorax Re: center and surround freq response - 06/24/02 03:10 PM
hehehe....yes, the name came from the book.....Love to read to my kids....and Dr. Suess is King for entertainment for both me and little ones....!!!

Thanks for the welcome
© Axiom Message Boards