Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PsychoPete EP500 power on/off - 08/23/05 02:52 PM
I just got my Epic80/500 system up and running over the weekend and now I'm setting all the crossover frequecies and final adjustments. One thing I noticed this morning that worried me was the EP500's amp was very warm and the LED on the back was green with the receiver off. Should the LED turn amber when the sub is not in use or does it stay green ? I would expect a fair amount of power consumption for the amp to be as warm as it was but the receiver had been off all night.Is this normal ?
Posted By: donjuanmiguel Re: EP500 power on/off - 08/23/05 03:36 PM
I have the 500 as well and think you made a great choice in setup. The light remains green while powered up so no worries there. The back plate seems to remain warm as well and in speaking with Axiom, including Tom, they say there is very littl power consumption. The good news is even while getting a good workout, the backplate can be touched.

I wouldn't worry about but you can always give them a call. Nothing like getting incouragement from the source!
Posted By: dllewel Re: EP500 power on/off - 08/24/05 03:52 PM
I have 2 of the 500's and they behave the same. There is no auto-off with these subs, but axiom claims they use little power when not in use. I would be interested to know just how much they are using. The back plate is probably working at a heat sink for the internal components.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 power on/off - 08/24/05 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure there's an auto off, but the light stays on. That's the only thing that could explain the issue my friend was having. (He had to turn it up quite loud for the 500 to kick in).
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP500 power on/off - 08/25/05 12:47 AM
I had heard that the EP500/600 did not have an auto off per se but they could be turned on and off via the 12v trigger lines from the receiver. They do have some kind of auto-mute which (since the amp is digital) is very close to auto off anyways.
© Axiom Message Boards