Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Newf PICS of News mini theater - 10/09/05 06:03 PM
Well, I'm not done. But I took some pics last night of what is done. This is only a temp house for us believe it or not. I want something much bigger to do a proper room in. I actually had this house sold in May, but could not find another home to buy so I decided to keep it for another year maybe more, depending on if we ever find another home, or build one. So, I didn't go all out. But, I'm quite happy with the end result. One thing about a smaller room, it sounds amazing.

Basically, room is 11x17. Open to another area that is 24x11 but that is the bar/dance floor to be. Sublor Advance system. Thickest carpet and underlay I could find for warmth on the toes, and accoustics are excellent.

What's left to be done? Pine frame. I'm already working on wood for it. Just trying to figure out a design. Still waiting for our wooden blinds, and none of the wood is varnished yet. Just not enough time in a day. Also wanting to put in a wireless lighting system.

5.1 setup. qs8's, VP-150, and my beloved M80's. HSU VTF3-MKII that my neighbors love so much. Yamaha 4600. Infocus 4805, 110" M2500 Draper high gain screen.

All equipment is hidden in a closet. You can see the hole for the projector on one of the pics, the equipment is behind that wall. This was great, allowed for much shorter runs for cables, and I can get to the equipment with ease. It also allowed me to have a vented closet for a cool place for the equipment to work in. I control it using a RF converter from NGHP.net. of course all wires ran in wall, ceiling etc.

Ceiling and screen wall painted Flat Moss Green.
Walls are painted Muslim( basically an ivory color), eggshell finish, then a technique using plastic bags, more Moss green on top of the ivory, and Glaze to get the texture you see.

Coffee table is a lift top....lifts right into my lap for snacks

Speakers were hung using the awesome full metal bracket. Very strong mount, very versatile, highly recommended for the center and surrounds.

Posted By: RickF Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/09/05 07:41 PM
The room is gorgeous Newf, my wife loves the way you painted the walls.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/09/05 07:51 PM
Your walls are beautiful! That room is so inviting I might never leave it once I entered. It's a shame you need to turn off the lights while a movie is playing.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/09/05 10:33 PM
Very nice looking room and HT dude
Posted By: Wid Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/09/05 10:41 PM

Very nice indeed.I really like what you did with the paint.Your install is nice and neat looking.
Posted By: thyname Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 02:43 AM
Very nice room indeed!!! It really looks very inviting to watch movies!!
Posted By: Rebulx Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 03:29 AM
I was going to post some pics of my own HT, until I saw this one! I MUST GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

Nice Setup man.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 04:22 AM
good lord!! that's a temporary house?!?! jeez, you making the rest of us look bad!
Posted By: dakkon Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 05:56 AM
MAN i cant WAIT. to get a house of my own, rather than renting/ living in the barracks (navy)..

Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 03:48 PM
thanks for all the nice comments guys. This project was really my first attempt at any type of construction and I did the entire basement in one shot, not just this room. I did everything myself which is why it took so long. I need to get the pine frame done, I think that'll pull the room together a little more. I'll post updated pics here once I get everything stained and frame installed.

Thanks again!

On a side note: One thing I bugs me about this forum is that you can't go back and edit an old post after some time has passed. Any mod that is reading, can you change the subject line in my post to read Newf's not News?

Posted By: davidsch Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 04:11 PM
Outstanding room! I love the lighting as well.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 05:58 PM
Temp house? Holy, I'd love to see what you call a permanent house...
Posted By: dllewel Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 07:27 PM
Very nice job NewF, it's excellent. Looks very nice and the wood stain will certainly add to the look.
Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/10/05 08:04 PM
thanks again, Lots of nice comments. I didn't expect such a reaction with it being such a simple room. There are some very nice home theaters around here and on AVS, and I hardly compare.

It is a temp house. Just not in the right location for me, and it's rather small. I really want a room that's at least 18x15, 20 x 15 or something like that. But the biggest problem with this house is the kitchen, master bedroom etc are just too small. At least now I have a theater and music room where I can chill out for a while. It's quite simple, nothing major some like rooms you see on avs or here. If I can do this with my skills and my budget, anyone can do this with a little time.

Posted By: ricwilli Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/11/05 01:11 AM
Hey newf, I like your setup. I love the walls and the red sofas. My wife and I were actually looking for red sofas to put in the room.
Posted By: DallasAxiom Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/11/05 05:15 AM
That looks amazing!....straight from HGTV (Home & Garden TV) land! artsy fartsy!!!
Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/11/05 12:11 PM
thanks I think, but I tend to hate all things artsy fartsy

j/k, I know what you meant.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/12/05 05:30 PM
That room is gorgeous, the entire feel of the lighting, the paint, the furniture even... It has a very natural feel to it, quite nice indeed. Great Job.

- D
Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/13/05 12:36 AM
thanks

So, with my highly skilled and highly trained hands I have devised a frame for my screen. Can you just sense the sarcasm?

Now I get to take it all down again to varnish it....oh joy.
Posted By: michael_d Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/13/05 01:09 AM
I love the color and paint technique, and want to copy it if you don’t mind. How do you do the walls?
Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/13/05 06:23 PM
Nope, your not allowed to use the same color...sorry, I'll burn your house down if you do!

Just playin. Paint away, I really don't care.

It's a two stage process.

First, I painted the ceiling using a flat paint. Color was called Moss green. Just roll it on, nothing special. Then I painted the screen wall the same.

Then I painted the other walls what is called Muslim. Almost an ivory in color. It's an eggshell type paint. Very durable, thick, and it doesn't mark at all when you touch it. Just roll the base coat on like you would paint any wall. I had to put 3 coats of this on as my walls were originally pink/purple from a previous owner with bad taste.

Now for the fun part. Honestly, it's not hard at all. You can test how to do it with a simple zip lock bag and a small piece of drywall to get the idea.

The top layer on the walls is also Moss Green. Same color as ceiling. But this time, for the walls you get eggshell again. Don't use flat or satin finiah on walls, it's crazy to take care of. Slightest touch of your hand on it and it will mark. You can't wash it either.

You take that moss green, and mix it with glaze. You'll use twice as much glaze as paint. Actually, you'll use very little paint at all believe it or not. You mix 2 parts glaze for every 1 part paint. ie, throw 2 cups of glaze in a bucket, then 1 cup of paint, mix it. Doesn't have to be perfectly accurate, dont' worry.

now, roll on the green over the ivory, only do a small area at first until you get the hang of it. Say the size of a garbage bag. Just a simple layer, doesn't have to perfect. Take a garbage bag, or some sort of plastic, clear plastic works good because you can see threw it, and stick it to the green paint you applied. Just rub your hands over the plastic, flatten it a bit, don't worry about wrinkles because that is what makes the lines. Then gently pull off plastic, and that is it. Start new section with a new piece of plastic

Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/14/05 01:48 AM
close up of wall for you. Please keep in mind that the camera doesn't quite capture the color quite right and kind of adds this yellowish hue to it, perhaps due to the lights. But it's pretty close.

Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/14/05 01:52 AM

Posted By: pmbuko Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/14/05 05:39 AM
I took a stab at some color correction. Is this a more accurate representation of the paint color?

Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/14/05 02:16 PM
yes, you have the right idea. Obviously the picture looks a little faded, but you are close.
Posted By: michael_d Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/14/05 04:39 PM
thanks!!

Ok, so I'll change the color a little....I'm partial to dark red anyway.

What's glaze? And what brand of paint did you use?

I hear you about flat paint. tried to paint my garage with it, what a mistake that was.
Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/14/05 04:55 PM
I'm no paint expert, so I can't really describe Glaze. It's just an additive. It's in a normal paint can, and guess what...it's marked GLAZE My understanding is that it adds a kind of texture to the paint, makes it a bit easier to manage, and more durable.

As for Brand, I'm in Canada. I'm also at work. I am guessing that you can't get the same brand. Brands don't matter anyways. I can get the color codes if you want, that is more important. I've seen this technique done with many colors. Yellows, reds, purples, greens. It doesn't matter. A ivory base coat with a red on top looks very nice. I've also seen black as a base coat, with Red on top, very nice too. The top layer is the dominant layer, the one you'll see the most of.

I originally wanted to do a red room. But We already had red couches...and the woman wanted nothing to do with having the walls and couches the same color.....god forbid!

Then she said that she wanted Ivory colored walls.....and I said she was #$%#$% nuts, ain't going to happen with a movie theater room. So, I said, what about green? then we came up with this. It's all about compromises. She was worried that it was going to be too dark, especially when I was going to paint the ceiling dark. Some people can't see it in their head as well as others, and that's where the problem begins. Once I painted it, she was hooked. Now she wants the entire house like this. Honestly, I love it for downstairs, and the odd room. It makes it stand out, and it's so nice you don't even need pictures on the wall, but for the entire house? I don't think so. I think it would be too busy if it were everywhere. I like to keep things simple. Also, some people can't get passed "it's a dark color" so the room will be dark. No, it's just paint. Paint itself does not make a room dark. You can add other brighter colors around the room via trims, paintings, lighting, furniture etc to make even dark colored rooms bright. remember, in a room like mine, at least one wall is almost pure white, that being the screen. the Screen, also being High gain, reflects light around the room. So, trust me, this room ain't dark. When you turn the lights off, duh, it's dark, and the dark paint does it's thing and makes my image POP. I don't need a black border around my screen for contrast reasons, because my wall is basically black once I turn the lights off.

Posted By: michael_d Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/15/05 01:47 AM
Well you made an excellent “compromise”. My room will be a dedicated HT, but I also want a place for friend’s kids to go when I throw a party. Somewhere they can play video games or with their little cars, or, watch a flick. So when I saw your color scheme, I knew that was exactly what I need. So thank you for posting the pics and the description to how to do it. The only difference is I do think I’ll go with a reddish green over the white base. I’m also going with a dark ass laminate wood wanna be on the floor. Kids and carpet don’t mix….
Posted By: michael_d Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/15/05 01:54 AM
One more question.....what color are your axioms?
Posted By: Newf Re: PICS of News mini theater - 10/15/05 06:44 PM
see first page of thread

all axioms are black. I think they look sexy in black, and black never goes out of style, and goes with everything. I almost bought the mansfield color though, but I knew I would run into matching issues with other furniture. Besides, my black qs8's kind of disappear into the shadows at low light levels during movies, actually, they all do.

If you are planning a room for kids, I would wall mount every speaker up and out of the way. I don't trust kids around tower speakers.

© Axiom Message Boards